jcboy

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 10:12 am
Another great actor.

Zichronah livrachah.

Sidney Poitier, trailblazing Hollywood icon who broke barriers for Black actors, dies at 94

Quote:
Sidney Poitier, the renowned Hollywood actor, director and activist who commanded the screen, reshaped the culture and paved the way for countless other Black actors with stirring performances in classics such as “In the Heat of the Night” and “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner,” has died, a source close to the family told NBC News on Friday.

He was 94. The actor's cause of death was not immediately given.

In a groundbreaking film career that spanned decades, Poitier established himself as one of the finest performers in America. He made history as the first Black man to win an Academy Award for best actor and, at the height of his fame, he became a major box-office draw.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 10:16 am
I just came here to post about it. I first noticed Poitier as a kid watching Red Ball Express. Didn't know his name, but even in the 50s he stood up as a man and I liked him for it.
jcboy

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 10:22 am
@edgarblythe,
I just read in 1964, he won the Academy Award for Best Actor, becoming the first Black male and Bahamian actor to win the award.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 10:22 am
What a fine actor he was. I remember him in To Sir With Love, with Lulu.
Joeblow

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 10:32 am
I was only 7 or 8 years old, but To Sir with Love had a life long impact on the way I moved in the world, though I didn't know it at the time. Then, I just loved it.
jcboy

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 10:43 am
@Mame,
I think the first movie I remember was Guess who's coming to dinner.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-G7LAdK53UpM/U2Ukapk1lpI/AAAAAAAAZ94/52KP86mU0Nc/s1600/Sidney-poitier.jpg
glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 10:49 am
@jcboy,
I always enjoyed his films, Rest In Peace dear soul.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 11:14 am
May he RIP!
He was on the great ones. Sad because it reminds me of a bygone era which in my mind isn’t bygone. I recall him way back in Blackboard Jungle (1955) as well as all of the others. I think he was the first star whose movies I actually sought out.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 11:21 am
@Ragman,
I know what you mean.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 11:25 am
@Joeblow,
I first saw him in that, and I was about the same age.
0 Replies