Am I obligated to continue working for my boss?

Thu 30 Aug, 2018 12:54 am
I’m currently employed at a fast food chain and after only a month of employment, I was promoted as branch manager because our former manager had to quit. Now 2 months down the line, I’m seriously considering on quitting. I got an offer to work as a supervisor for a company that does dream tours for singles. The pay is too good to pass up, especially since I’ve got a mountain of student debt to pay off. Am I obligated to continue working here? Is it rude of me to quit so suddenly? This is my first job, so I don’t really know how to go about these things. Please give me some advice!

roger

Thu 30 Aug, 2018 01:18 am
@employed35,
It's nice to give notice, but I knew of a person I worked with that did just that. He gave two weeks notice and they fired him on the spot. If the new position won't wait, or can be accepted immediately, I believe I would quit. My feeling is that one owes the present employer exactly what they think they owe you.

That still leaves the decision up to you, of course.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Thu 30 Aug, 2018 05:21 am
Don’t quit until you have been hired and given a start date for the new job. Then tell the fast food owner and request a one week’s notice. Most likely they will let you go immediately.

Don’t feel guilty about leaving so soon. There’s lots of turnover in that kind of business. Thus, the reason why you were put into management after just one month.

May I ask what your college degree is?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 30 Aug, 2018 06:05 am
You have no obligation to stay there.

Normally I would suggest that switching jobs frequently can cause problems explaining to future employers why you didn't stay for a long time at one place, but given that you are leaving a fast food restaurant for a far better position... this isn't a concern.

I would do the following...

1. Negotiate a start date for the new job. Make it for more than 2 weeks in the future. Tell your new employer that you would like to have time to help your old employer make a transition. This is the responsible thing to do, and 2 weeks is customary.

2. After the start date is set... then tell your old boss, respectfully, that you have a new position starting in two weeks. Tell him that during this time you will help find/train a new replacement.

3. If the old boss "fires" you on the spot... then you can ask the new job if you can start sooner. It wouldn't make sense for your old employer to do this, since they will probably need a couple of weeks to replace you, but they might.

This is the normal sequence of events in the US.

Enjoy your new job. Congratulations!.

Linkat

Fri 31 Aug, 2018 10:24 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You have no obligation to stay there.

Normally I would suggest that switching jobs frequently can cause problems explaining to future employers why you didn't stay for a long time at one place, but given that you are leaving a fast food restaurant for a far better position... this isn't a concern.

I would do the following...

1. Negotiate a start date for the new job. Make it for more than 2 weeks in the future. Tell your new employer that you would like to have time to help your old employer make a transition. This is the responsible thing to do, and 2 weeks is customary.

2. After the start date is set... then tell your old boss, respectfully, that you have a new position starting in two weeks. Tell him that during this time you will help find/train a new replacement.

3. If the old boss "fires" you on the spot... then you can ask the new job if you can start sooner. It wouldn't make sense for your old employer to do this, since they will probably need a couple of weeks to replace you, but they might.

This is the normal sequence of events in the US.

Enjoy your new job. Congratulations!.

I Agree!

Congrats on your new job...you worked hard to get a promotion and you must have skills that are highly desirable - you owe nothing to your prior employer other than to work to your full ability until the day you end up leaving. Look at it this way as a business they are going to do what is best for them as a business - if it was best for them to lay you off they would; if it were best for them as a business to promote you they will. So you need to do what is best for you.

I agree with the three points noted - I work in a professional position and often times hire people at levels from recent college graduates to those with over 15 years of experience. You do want to give 2 weeks notice - it is the professional thing to do. You want to work your butt off up to the day you leave. You may in the future want to use your current manager as a future reference and if you do these things, you will always have someone that will provide you a very good reference. It should not matter whether it is a fast food restaurant or not. That is the one thing you do owe your current employer. Also your future employer should understand that - and it shows your future employer they made a good decision to hire some one that is professional and responsible.

For point 2 - I would just add to put your resignation in writing with your last day of planned employment and thanking them for the opportunities they provided you. Then ask your manager to meet with you where you will hand him the letter and tell him in person. Be humble and thankful.

Believe me this has happened to me numerous times. Having someone resign. I may be a different manager than others but I almost always understand. I also know of circumstances where I knew the employee was making a bad decision, but in the end it is up to that individual. From the sounds of it - you are making a very good decision and it sounds like this is only a win situation for you. If your current manager is a good person, s/he won't be happy to lose you, but the manager will be happy for you.
0 Replies