The Sea Inside

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 09:26 am
It's not even the beginning criteria for seeing a movie. I don't read or listen to the critics until after I've seen the film. word of mouth is usually the best way to see a movie, or the venue it plays in.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 11:59 am
Not the word or mouth of any of my friends or relatives save one or two. They rarely correspond with my taste in movies. Was this the motivation to see "Before Night Falls" for you? In the venue, I assume you mean art film houses. However, I've somehow gone to seen a film at that sort of venue and if it was blind (no reference to any of the critics I believe I can trust), I have been sorely dissapointed. Not all foreign films and independents are great movies. But then, I would normally wait on most foreign and independents to show up on, say, NetFlix for rent so I'm only out a few bucks instead of the $8.00 plus. Another drawback of art houses is the rickety old seats and masses of chewing gum on the floor (or other sticky substances), damaged screens and lousy sound. If one tries to go by the newspaper's little public surveys of a movie, be prepared to hear from the airheads of the universe.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 01:09 pm
I saw "When Night Falls" from a recommendation from the guy at the video store. I could see how it is a film this person, or others would like. I'm not talking about relatives-- sometimes friends, but usually I get the tidbit from someone at the video place at the time. That's how I saw "This Boys Life", which did not dissapoint.

I saw "The Sea Inside" because a friend wanted to go. I didn't know anything about it, and I intentionally avoided imdb, critics, etc. because, had I known the subject matter I wouldn't have wanted to go.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 01:44 pm
I would never rent a film on the recommendation of anyone at any video store. That's a formula for getting stung more than a few times. I'm not one for accidental movie going either -- I did read reviews by the critics I respect of "The Sea Inside" and it motivated me to call one of my few friends who likes serious films and we had a great night out, maybe because we also went across the street to my favorite Thai restaurant and pigged out on super spicy hot shrimp. Okay, and a couple of ginger martinis. Man are those ever good. Then it truly was "the sea inside." Urp.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:41 pm
The only time seeing a movie on a recommendation is a formula for getting stung is if you rent the movie blindly without reading what the movie is about on the back cover, by not looking at what company releases it, and by ignoring the director and the actors involved.

There have been plenty of movies I've passed on for this reason. Then, there is the occasional gem of a film that you stumble upon-- for instance, "A Box of Moonlight" a film I rented only because John Torturro was the star. I was not disappointed.

I wish my night out seeing the "The Sea Inside" included a ginger martini or two. As it turns out, my friend takes himself way too seriously, and so it was one serious evening. Not fun, somewhat enlightening, but yours sounds a lot more productive.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:02 am
I have been dissapointed in many movies where the actors and directors were expected to deliver a good film. That doesn't always hold true. By the same token, a studio, actors and directors one might not have high estimations of can often surprise by turning out a fine film. As high as the artistic goals are for Miramax, for instance, they have manged to turn out some mediocre movies. "The Sea Inside" is definetely worth seeing but it has its flaws and is in compeition with Eastwood's "Million Dollar Baby" in a statement on the subject. I'm not that all-knowing that I can't read the more reputable film critics and consider their advice. I don't find them wrong almost all of the time. I find my time too valuable to go out and see films helter skelter and then consult critics to see if the agreed or disagreed. But that's me. Everyone has thier own MO.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:04 am
(If one tries to assert that if nearly all the critics pan a movie that it's got to be good, I would have trouble communicating with that person).
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 01:04 pm
Helter skelter? Where did that come from?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 01:30 pm
Not particularly directed at you but I do know people who pick movies by their box office or they even have to go see new releases before reading any reviews or having any recommendations from anyone. I think that adds up to a lot of wasted evenings where a good conversation over a great meal could almost always be the better course. If a friend or relative recommends a film because they've seen it, and especially if they cite a big box office, I'm not shy 'cause I'll tell them the critics whose opinions I respect panned the movie and I won't be going to the cineplex. Looks like you've had your share of dissapointments from recommendations by acquaintences or friends.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:58 am
Where did I say I got stung by recommendations of acquaintances or friends?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:33 am
Where did I say you got stung by recommendations of acquaintances or friends?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:35 am
(Why did you see "Before Night Falls" again?)
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 12:47 pm
I saw it because Julian Shnabel directed it. I had heard about it, and saw the movie on the list of new arrivals and the guy behind the counter said it was good. I read the small explanation of the film and knew it was not to my taste. Plus, the guy working behind the counter was not only gay, but an activist, so of course a film like that would appeal to him.

I would not say the film was a waste of my time. There are plenty of movies that are.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 04:45 pm
What's being gay and an activist got to do with whether it was a good film or not? You mean straight people don't see films with a gay theme and don't appreciate them if they are good films?
How do you tell an ordinary gay person from an activist gay person? You saw it because Julian Schanbel directed it and did followed the advice of an "acquaintance" (I'm assuming you hadn't dated him). I'm still entirely perplexed as to why you even bothered renting the movie.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:10 am
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:43 am
No, it has to do with your premise that recommendations by friends and acquaintances, or blurb notes on a video box is a good way to select movies to watch. I see you are sensitive towards being called on a gay themed movie and whether or not that is the real reason you didn't like it. I'm sure you can attest that you've never seen a movie you didn't like if recommended by friends, acquaintances (including, perhaps, your precluded relatives) or blurb notes on the box. Those awful critics -- I guess there's none of them smart enough to know if a movie is good or bad. I'd be interested in what movies you recommend.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:29 pm
i've been reading through this discussion and i think lightwizard is getting overly sensitive and defensive about the arguments and questions that cliff is making. that's how i'm reading it. it's a discussion not a duel.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 02:30 pm
I'm not sensitive about anything other than the notion that critics should never be consulted for seeing a film and friends, relatives and acquaintances should be. I even stated this was not what I would do but that anyone is free to do what they believe. I've only seen the question that I had written that he was "stung" by his friends and acquantances which was not only not in context but was never stated by me. I merely inquired whether he was ever dissatisfied by recommendations of his friends and acquaintances (he nixed consulting relatives). Depends on who one feels is dodging the issue since the post was to recommend a movie which I went to see because it received general critical acclaim but unimpressive box office. Finally, I don't believe he needs any help in defense of his statements if that was what you wanted to address. I'm sure in a baroom brawl, he'd get the better of me. Rolling Eyes Drunk :wink: Laughing

Anyway -- truce! I think this is a debate with a cliff hanger ending.
0 Replies