Abu Gharib back in the news!! US detaining children....

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 02:14 am
...and 'pretty sure, well almost sure that they haven't been ill-treated'.

Quote:
Children as young as 11 years old were held at Abu Ghraib, the Iraqi prison at the centre of the US prisoner abuse scandal, official documents reveal.
Brig Gen Janis Karpinski, formerly in charge of the jail, gave details of young people and women held there.

Her assertion was among documents obtained via legal action by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

The Pentagon has admitted juveniles were among the detainees, but said no child was subject to any abuse.

Brig Gen Karpinski made her remarks in an interview with a general investigating the abuses at the prison.

In one case, witness statements among the released documents allege that four drunken Americans took a 17-year-old female prisoner from her cell and forced her to expose her breasts and kissed her.

In another documented incident, troops are alleged to have smeared mud on the detained 17-year-old son of an Iraqi general and forced his father to watch him shiver in the cold.

Brig Gen Karpinski, who was in charge at Abu Ghraib from July to November 2003, said she often visited the prison's youngest inmates.

She said in her interview that she thought one boy "looked like he was eight years old".

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 717 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 02:16 am
Quote:
She said the military began holding children and women at Abu Ghraib from mid-2003. She did not say what the youngsters had been locked up for.

Abu Ghraib prison dates from the Saddam Hussein era
In her interview with Maj Gen George Fay, she also said intelligence officers had worked out an agreement to hold detainees without keeping records.

The Pentagon has acknowledged holding so-called "ghost detainees" on the basis that they were enemy combatants and therefore not entitled to prisoner of war protections.

Brig Gen Karpinski said US commanders were reluctant to release detainees, an attitude she called "releasophobia".

In her interview, she said Maj Gen Walter Wodjakowski, then the second most senior army general in Iraq, told her in the summer of 2003 not to release more prisoners, even if they were innocent.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 02:18 am
Can someone remind me just why the US invaded the country again?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 02:23 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:

To look for WMD. I can also remind you that deplorable incidents of this type probably occurred in every single large war in history, but usually were not prosecuted. I can also remind you that the incidents here reported are certainly the acts of bad soldiers and not authorized or countenanced by the president. I can also remind you that as bad as these abuses are, they do not begin to compare to the enemy's practices, e.g. sawing civilians' heads off as they scream for their lives.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:29 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:

To look for WMD. I can also remind you that deplorable incidents of this type probably occurred in every single large war in history, but usually were not prosecuted. I can also remind you that the incidents here reported are certainly the acts of bad soldiers and not authorized or countenanced by the president. I can also remind you that as bad as these abuses are, they do not begin to compare to the enemy's practices, e.g. sawing civilians' heads off as they scream for their lives.

The enemy? That would appear to be the Iraqi people, would it not? There doesn't seem to be much discrimination between civilians, insurgents and 'terrahrists' by the Coalition. And there are rules Brandon, they're called the 'Geneva Convention'.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:41 am
Children as young as 11? What can you say to that? Unbelievable! Mad
0 Replies