[ANSWERED] Partially banned from A2K

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:23 am
EDIT (Moderator): Moved to Forum Help from Politics

Dear Friends,
For reasons unknown to me I have had my PM privileges revoked. I have asked the webmaster why, and have been told that the criteria has been changed and I am no longer in good standing. Unfortunately, the webmaster also informs me that they will not provide the criteria to me. They suggest that I remind people that I have an email address in my profile and people can contact me that way. I was concerned about the people who have contacted me thru PM's and may be wondering why I didn't respond. I am not ignoring anyone, nor am I trying to be rude, it's just that in some way, shape or form I am no longer in "good standing". All this time I thought I was participating in a discussion forum, I didn't realize I was attempting to join a sorority.

On a positive note, the webmaster tells me I still have a chance of gaining the position of "good standing". Oh goody! If only I knew what I am expected to do. In the meantime, my email is on my profile, so if anyone needs to reach me or wants to invite me to a discussion. You can reach me there. Despite the fact I am no longer in good standing I have been receiving private messages, the system just won't let me respond.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,275 • Replies: 24
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:27 am
Bet a sack of donuts it has nothing at all to do with anything you have said or done, and a great deal to do with the new criteria which seems to involve number of posts. In other words, it affects everyone for a while, not you in particular.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:31 am
Roger, you are probably right. However, my life is a little complicated already, just not sure how many more arbitrary hoops I want to jump thru. I've enjoyed my time on A2K, too bad the criteria thinks I'm not holding up my end.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:36 am
I think Roger's right....you have to have a certain number of posts to have PM privileges. Think they do it to combat spammers.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:41 am
Anybody on here ever been spammed by me?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:43 am
I could be mistaken, but I thought there was a box you could click if you didn't want PM's from certain posters.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:45 am
Correct - this applies to all and everyone - new members as well as old one's.

Additionally, it was mentioned by Craven that post count ('unknown number') is just one factor in the algo.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:49 am
I can't see such a box but rest assured that your posting history has NOTHING to do with PM policies.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 12:08 pm
Such a box had never been here.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 12:09 pm
What box? Confused
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 12:13 pm
glitterbag wrote:
Anybody on here ever been spammed by me?

Nothing to do with YOU. It's so a spammer can't just log on on A2K with the sole purpose of sending out PM's, which has happened.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 12:15 pm
I post when I have something to add or have a question to ask. Since I will be returning to my old job and giving up the contracting stuff, I will have even less time to pad my count. The places I work, frown on posting during the work day, it's considered fraud and grounds for dismissal. As much as I have enjoyed the forum, it's not worth risking my income. The sad part is that people can still send me PM's and won't know why I am not responding. Some folks use the PM's to avoid revealing their identity, which I understand. I hear what everybody is saying, "It's not personal, it's according to amounts of posts, it's to avoid spam", but nobody really knows because the criteria is secret. If I wanted to join a secret society I would join the Moose Lodge. On second thought, I don't think they allow women to join.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 12:15 pm
Re: Partially banned from A2K
glitterbag wrote:

All this time I thought I was participating in a discussion forum, I didn't realize I was attempting to join a sorority.
On a positive note, the webmaster tells me I still have a chance of gaining the position of "good standing". Oh goody! If only I knew what I am expected to do.

Laughing That made me laugh. Your funny when your aggravated, I'm the same way.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 12:42 pm
I've never seen an "exclude" box - but there is a "Report" feature available for PMs.

Re "The Criteria" - it's been discussed here several times that more than one factor is involved in the algorithm, post-count bein' only one among others. Its one of those unfortunate-but-necessary deals where abuse by a few has brought about inconvenience to many. A brief, and subsequently resolved, glitch caused a temporary malfunction (mentioned HERE ); it is unlikely anything you did or didn't do has anything at all to do with whether or not PMs recently were but no longer are available to you.

The moderators have said that they prefer that you Submit a Help Ticket detailin' your A2k website policy concerns. See *** Contacting the moderators (please read) ***
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 02:55 pm
glitterbag wrote:
The sad part is that people can still send me PM's and won't know why I am not responding.

The change happened fairly recently and the news is still not out to everyone, but I'd guess that most active members do in fact know about this rule (and so would know why you can't respond). There are a whole bunch of threads about it right here on this forum, anyway.

Can you just post an email address for people to contact you? Doesn't have to be a breach of confidentiality. I have one with my username, doesn't provide any more personal info than a PM.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 05:31 pm
Roger
Quote:
Bet a sack of donuts it has nothing at all to do with anything you have said or done, and a great deal to do with the new criteria which seems to involve number of posts. In other words, it affects everyone for a while, not you in particular.

I seem to be behind the curve. What new policy?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 06:26 pm
Glitterbag! Long time no see. Nice to see you posting - even if miffedly!

I can understand your reaction - given you were unaware of the policy change, and found yourself suddenly PM-less.

Everyone has explained why - so you know.

I am sorry you still feel angry. I guess we can see why the criteria are not made known - you, as an absolutely genuine member had thoughts which went to post padding - (albeit satirically and, of course, without ever intending to do such a thing) - imagine what spammers and such would do if they knew the criteria.

I do hope you feel less distressed when you have had time to realise that this is a policy thing - nothing at all to do with you.

Please do not run to the Mooses!!!! (Lol)

Do the Masons let wimmins in these days? I fancy a li'l leather apron.

Hey - care to tell us about what work you've been up to?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 06:38 pm
Actually, I have had a good response from the webmaster and am no longer ticked. I still can't use the PM's and I guess I will just have to wait until someone takes pity on me. I'll catch up later tonight, going to a "teen center" reunion, I can't believe it. Everybody will probably be trying to impress each other with how many hip replacements they have had, or who had the most artries unclogged. Be back later.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 07:15 pm
perhaps the whole "good standing" thing is a bit of an unfortunate choice of words ...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 10:22 pm
It does kind of imply the opposite is the current state, doesn't it?

New, in a relative sense AU. Originally, you recall, anyone could send PMs. Then, there was a period when no one could send. Later still, most could, but not the newest. Recently, and very briefly, we were in the original condition. The present situation is what I call new.
0 Replies