Get Out Your #2 Pencil

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:38 pm
Good evening. On Saturday, 12 March, thousands upon thousands of high school kids in the US will be spending about 3 hours taking the national SAT exam. It's a big deal, even though many colleges claim it isn't (they are looking for well-rounded kids, etc). Some parents spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars getting their child ready for tomorrow.
The exam covers math skills and English skills.
And this year, for the first time, students will have to write an essay about an assigned topic. I find that pretty fascinating because, unlike a math problem, the score can't be done (I hope) by a computer.

HERE IS THE CHALLENGE. Saturday evening someone with a kid should be able to tell us what the topic was (say 6 pm Eastern time). Yall will have 30 minutes to think about it and then write something, (#2 pencil not required). 30 minutes. No Googling etc allowed. Anyone willing to sign up?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,062 • Replies: 24
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:04 pm
In may eighth year of retirement? Naw.....I mean, no thank you.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:11 pm
Great idea, Virginia John. I'm marking this with my no.2 pencil. Back when I have time. Ah, come on C.I. you could write a book about your travels.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:18 pm
Letty, As a matter of fact a couple of our friends planning a trip to Argentina came over "to pick your brain." They also suggested I write a book. I responded that a list of all the places I visited would make up the volume. LOL
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:22 pm
C.I. then give it a try, Juan Peron and Eva are gone. Razz

Hey realest of Johns. Will a topic be provided, or are we to do our own?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:24 pm
Visited Eva's tomb twice, and as far as we are told, she's in that tomb - and it's not a sure thing, because her father didn't want her buried there. Wink
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:32 pm
Ah, another history mystery.

I'll wait until RJB gives the topic and then I'm an army of Arnies.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:55 pm
RJB, I just heard the news on Peter Jennings. Finally, college boards recognize the need for creative thinking, but the topic will be a secret until the actual exam time. Soooooo, that means that you, as monitor, will have to provide us with one.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:58 pm
My thinking is that we will use the actual topic that is given to the test-takers. I don't know many people that age so I'm hoping yall can help out. If yall know someone who might know someone who might know the topic assigned, please relay it.
Please rethink your response, cicerone. The whole point of this exercise is to see how we, older and wiser, or older and stupider, might react to the notion of having to write something cogent in a short period of time.
(BTW, my friend Gothboy will be sitting for the SAT tomorrow. But that's another story. Gothboy thinking about going to college? Bizarre).
SO WE NEED TO KNOW THE ASSIGNED TOPIC befrore we can move on.
Thanks.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:06 pm
Well, John. That's the entire point. The young folks taking the test will NOT know the topic until test day.

Let's just suppose for a moment that the topic would be:

Write a persuasive essay on something that you feel strongly about.

My thesis would be:There should be a moratorium on SAT's.

Bet Gothboy would tear that one up. Razz
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:19 pm
Essays are an interesting way to grade on knowledge of topic and grammar. However, both are subject to the subjective background of the grader, and therefore an "A" may be somewhat unreliable to the university that is using it to accept or deny that student.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 08:56 pm
My thinking was, when I started this, is that someone could find some kid on Sat afternoon at the mall and find out what the assigned topic was. And then we could all take a whack at it. See what we old folks would write about the same topic.
Perhaps I was too obtuse. The "old" SATs were, in my opinion, not a good guide to a kid's ability to contribute to the diversity of a college environment. Is the addition of the essay in the "new" SAT's going to improve things? cicerone's concern (which I would paraphrase as being able to mouth cookie cutter phrases in order to please some grader) is well stated.
I doubt that gothboy will score high enough on the math and English part of the SAT to get into UVA, but I'm looking forward to reading his essay. And yalls. -rjb-
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 04:39 pm
Okay, here is the topic as I have been told:

DO YOU AGREE WITH THE SYSTEM OF MAJORITY RULE?

Think about it for a few minutes and then, if you are so inclined, give us a couple of paragraphs.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 05:03 pm
Oh, my Gawd, Virginia John. Politics? Shocked How can that be considered a creative essay?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 05:13 pm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 06:10 pm
A quick response to C.I.

C.I. the body of your essay is quite persuasive, but the introduction should state your thesis.

There are several reasons that I do not believe nor condone singular rule.

Too much going on in my life right now to write more. I will try again later, RJB
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 06:33 pm
Just watching :-)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 07:45 pm
Thanks, ci. I thought your contribution was pretty darned good. I don't understand what Letty's criticism was, but I'm confident she will come back to that tomorrow.
Come on, paulaj, let's see your submission.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 08:17 pm
Brief explanation, RJB. an introductory paragraph is needed in any essay. C.I. simply opened with "No." I'm certain he knows what I mean.

My submission through the eyes of a senior in high school.

To many of us, the rule of the majority is specific to politics. That is, however, not always the case.

To me, the term "majority" also includes the idea of peer pressure.

For a young person, awaiting to be accepted into the college of my choice, I would suggest that this question needs to be rethought.

First, the subject has to do with many, but does not address the identity of one person in the masses. As long as achievement tests are designed to measure and predict success of a large group, the fault will continue to lie in the disregard of the single individual who strives to be, not only educated, but creative.

Next, It is only through preservation of the single mind that we can hope to keep a nation, a state, a community strong. Some of the world's greatest thinkers have stood alone, but have given to us a sense of self worth. Therein lies the crux of the "majority".

It is my hope to be able to sit in a university and absorb what others have taken so long to experience, but it will not be through the mechanics of achievement tests, it will be through interaction and a final realization of our place in society as an individual.

Then, and only then, can the measure of a future citizen of the world be analyzed.

Do I believe in the consensus of the majority? Under certain circumstances, yes, as long as it does not infringe upon my right as ONE person.

As Thoreau observed: "I am a majority of one."
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 05:37 am
I like RJB and this thread is kinda neat. Maybe I'll write up something sometime.
0 Replies