Is spirital warfare as obvious as it once was?

Jackofalltrades

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 02:18 am
Sorry I don't have a link, but I heard about it on Klove radio. I could go to their web site and look on the news linksarchives, but it happened awhile back so I think it would be hard to find.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:46 am
Not everything you hear on Christian radio is true.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 09:49 am
If you call the religious rights push to introduce their views and beliefs into government and the laws of the land spiritual warfare. IMO it is more obvious than it has been at least in the last 60 years.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 09:56 am
au1929 wrote:
If you call the religious rights push to introduce their views and beliefs into government and the laws of the land spiritual warfare. IMO it is more obvious than it has been at least in the last 60 years.

I wonder if the push from the religious right is more obvious now because they are pushing harder, or because there is more resistance.

Sometimes things come to the forefront not because they are making inroads, but because more people are objecting to their normal activity.

Just a thought.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:05 am
rosborne979
They are pushing harder and making inroads because they have a man in Washington. How much is because of shared beliefs and how much is playing to his powerful constituency is anyone's guess. I suspect it is some of both.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:22 am
Actually the influence of what we call today radical, or evangelical Christianity was much, much greater in the past than it is today. From Colonial times through the end of the 19th century, virtually the entire population of the United States was some variety of Christianity, and all the sects were extremely chauvinistic with few exceptions. To deviate, even in small degree from the majority views could have very serious consequences.

Even fifty years ago, parents could say without sarcasm to their children, "you can believe anything you wish so long as its Christian. If you leave our denomination, we'll pray for your return because we want to see you in heaven." To be Jewish was almost as great a social faux pas as to be Black (Well, at least they are Baptists sort'a like us), Hispanic (Catholic! Some day, if we aren't careful, the Pope will rule in Washington!) or Oriental (Heathens all, and doomed to Hell if we can't convert them).

Folks tend to forget how important a hold Christianity had on America when we were still young people. The amount of variation in religeous belief today would shock and dismay our parent's generation, that BTW was consigned to Hades by their parents who were raging liberals to our great-grandparents. Oh well. Things have changed, and for the better. Its been years since I've had to put up with being really insulted by misguided zealots for being a Buddhist. I can remember former friends who crossed the street on my approach so as not to be contaminated by the damned. How often does that happen today?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:41 am
Asherman
Quote:
Actually the influence of what we call today radical, or evangelical Christianity was much, much greater in the past than it is today. From Colonial times through the end of the 19th century, virtually the entire population of the United States was some variety of Christianity, and all the sects were extremely chauvinistic with few exceptions. To deviate, even in small degree from the majority views could have very serious consequences.

I agree that the influence of what we call today radical, or evangelical Christianity was much, much greater in the past than it is today. However, that influence waned from the end of WW2 . It has been reawakened in all it's glory with the election of Bush.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:07 pm
The balance is still very much against the Christian zealots, and I see no reason to be concerned for a long time yet. There will always be those who are so prejudiced and chauvinistic. They serve a purpose, as do those whose secularism is just as great. The two extremes are probably more or less in balance at the moment. Our system is pretty good at preventing radical changes.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:11 pm
Asherman wrote:
I see no reason to be concerned for a long time yet. .....The two extremes are probably more or less in balance at the moment...... Our system is pretty good at preventing radical changes.

I agree.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:16 pm
Why do we need to speak about cultural differences in a pluralistic democracy as warfare? Can't we work out these issues within our society with civility. I don't see the need for spiritual violence from either side.

I guess I am a Spiritual Pacifist.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:26 pm
ebrown, I was thinking the same thing; I didn't see the need to call it "warfare."
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 02:23 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Why do we need to speak about cultural differences in a pluralistic democracy as warfare? Can't we work out these issues within our society with civility. I don't see the need for spiritual violence from either side.

Have I told you lately that I love you brown... Very Happy
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 02:58 am
E_brown wrote
Quote:
Not everything you hear on Christian radio is true.
I work at the local Newspaper (see my profile) and a lot of what is reported there is not true or rather not fully reported, but the T-shirt thing was true. I heard it from a couple of other sources also.
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 03:06 am
Asherman Wrote
Quote:
Folks tend to forget how important a hold Christianity had on America when we were still young people. The amount of variation in religeous belief today would shock and dismay our parent's generation, that BTW was consigned to Hades by their parents who were raging liberals to our great-grandparents. Oh well. Things have changed, and for the better. Its been years since I've had to put up with being really insulted by misguided zealots for being a Buddhist. I can remember former friends who crossed the street on my approach so as not to be contaminated by the damned. How often does that happen today?

Important observation Very Happy

Too bad about being shunned for being Buddhist. I'm a Christian and I work with a Buddhist fellow. Seems we get along together working better than most of the rest of the crew. I enjoy working with him. Too bad about your former friends. When you lose a friend either through death or estrangement you lose a part of you, and it seems they have lost a little of what makes them who they are Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

inner peace

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 01:35 pm
theantibuddha wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Have I told you lately that I love you brown... Very Happy

how can you be anti-buddha???????? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

inner peace

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 01:37 pm
Spiritual warefare is so so so bunk.....when's the last time you've seen a possessed person or an excorsim??..... plus the whole idea that there is a "battle" for souls is pretty lame.... do the demons and angels fight for us and we choose sides or what?.... do demon worshippers get the power to like put demons inside people sense the christians can supposedly expel demons?? Confused
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 04:00 pm
Jack,

That was years ago. Probably before you were born.
0 Replies

inner peace

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:24 am
Asherman wrote:

Even fifty years ago, parents could say without sarcasm to their children, "you can believe anything you wish so long as its Christian. If you leave our denomination, we'll pray for your return because we want to see you in heaven." To be Jewish was almost as great a social faux pas as to be Black (Well, at least they are Baptists sort'a like us), Hispanic (Catholic! Some day, if we aren't careful, the Pope will rule in Washington!) or Oriental (Heathens all, and doomed to Hell if we can't convert them).

I've just startedt to get into buddhism and zen buddhism.... by far the best religion out there to be a part of ... in my humble opinion. The thing about it is that most people don't know anything about buddhism and just like to think they're a bunch of shaved head guys living in the mountains. It's the principals of buddhism that make it attractive. It's a moral code to live by that far surpasses the silly 10 commandments.
0 Replies