Free CMS for corporate Intranet which works with IIS

Monger

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:33 pm
I recently completed a new website from the ground up for my company (netdes com) and they liked it, so now they want me to redevelop/redesign their existing Intranet site (which sucks & is ColdFusion powered).

I'm hoping to use an open source CMS, but the sheer number of them out there combined with the fact that I've never used one before is a bit overwhelming. If anyone has any recommendations or personal experience to share that would be wonderful.

My requirements for it are not completely known at this point, but it will need to run on IIS (so any which require Apache are out), and I'd prefer it to have been developed with PHP (I've got PHP 5.0.3 running on my company's Web server now, but I could remove that & put on 4.x if the CMS required it). It should also be easy to install, well documented, developer-friendly and have a fairly large installed base.

Like I said don't yet know everything I'll need to accomplish with the new Intranet site, but some things I wouldn't mind being able to include are a contact management system, file distribution (e.g. where based on you're login you're able to download different files), an events calendar, very basic forum, photo gallery and search. But I could always run additional products or add-ins to the CMS to accomodate some of that. The design of it will need to be similar to the very clean & simple http://employees.faa.gov

I found a great site which allows you to compare heaps of different CMSes ( www.cmsmatrix.org ), so I've been checking that out.

Some that I'm thinking of so far (though I don't really know much about them and how appropriate they'd be for the site) are:

I know my question is fairly vague, but... any insights into these or additonal CMSes and/or recommendations as to which are the best/easiest to use/etc.?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,929 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 03:08 pm
If you are running PHP most will work for you, very few features would be apache specific.

If you just need the very basics of CMS you might want to look into movable type, though I don't know if their free licensing would be compatible with your project.

I haven't used Mambo but hear a lot of good about it and not a lot of the Nuke bad stuff.

Here is a link where you can actually compare installed CMS applications:

http://www.opensourcecms.com/
0 Replies

dretio

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 04:16 pm
Dear Monger
Did you already find a solution for your open source CMS?
I have the exact same problem and need almost the same functionalities. I would be happy to talk about it but I can not send PM yet.. Sad
Hope to hear from you soon!
0 Replies

intoitdaily

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:07 pm
What's most important about the CMS you choose to use is how easy it is to implement a custom design ontop of the CMS. I would not use anything other than Drupal, since all the other CMSs like Joomla and PHPNuke and Mambo are riddled with issues from difficulty to use/understand, difficulty integrating 3rd-party applications, lack of themes available, or just lack of support. Drupal has its own issues, of course, unless you write your own CMS, you're not always going to get exactly what you want.
0 Replies