giving up legal rights

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 10:15 am
My brother is looking to give up his legal rights to his son, whom 6 months after birth, the mother took to Virginia and refused to allow contact, she had moved in with another man, whom my nephew thinks of as dad.
Now the little boy will be 5 and he has no knowledge of my brother, who pays child support. Knows someone else as dad.
My brother lives in Colorado and she lives in Montana, which state applies and will he have to continue child support even if the boy is adopted by the man he calls dad?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 442 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Montana

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 10:51 am
Your brother will no longer have to pay child support if the child is adopted by the man the child knows as dad or some other party and that's the only way.
If your brother wanted to see his child, he could have pressed the issue in court as the mother can't legally keep a child away from his/her father unless it's court ordered.

I'm not sure which state would apply, but one of the lawyers here may come along to give you that information.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies