Musics used in fitness vidoes & copyright ?

yena

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 12:12 am
When I help my friend make dance vidoes that are aimed to be released commercially, he wants to use well known songs.

I am not quite sure he has to pay royalties or seek permission.

I heard that if a DJ plays musics directly from CDs he bought from a shop, he is in the legal boundary. So can he record videos while musics come directly from CDs without paying anything? Is my friend's case the same as DJ's?

Any opinions? I need your advice. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 606 • Replies: 3
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 12:59 am
Well, depends on which country you're in, but almost everywhere your friend has to negotiate a royalty payment and permissions with the copyright holders of the recordings.

You are mistaken about DJs - they should be paying a royalty to a performance rights organisation who should distribute it back to the copyright holders. Just because they don't doesn't mean they aren't liable.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:16 am
hingehead I think you are right except that I think (not certain) the clubs pay a blanket royalty fee every year to cover the records that are played within that club, so DJ's don't individually have to pay.

But the main point is, you can't do anything with that video without paying the copyright.

oh..and let's hope Dead Can Dance don't see your avatar Wink
0 Replies

yena

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:25 am
Thanks, guys. It's clear to my friend's case. Please have a look at http://avla.ca/licenceinfo/djlicences/faqs.html for DJs. Thanks again.
0 Replies