Do kids like these films?

Piffka

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 10:34 am
Hi... trying to pick some films for an outdoor cinema this summer. I think these would be cool, but <huge surprise> I'm an adult.

I'm wondering if kids, especially kids aged 6-12, would like these films.

Finding Neverland (2004).

Iron Giant (1999).

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004).

(hmmm. Should I be posting this in the films forum?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,649 • Replies: 77
No top replies

material girl

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 10:38 am
My friends 6 year old daughter loves the Iron Giant.

I think Finding Neverland may be bit dull for them.I havnt seen it but what I have seen is full of grown ups.
Not seen Sky Captain either but it has a illustrated cartoon feel to it so this would be the better of the 2.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 10:58 am
Thanks, Material Girl. Good to know.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 11:09 am
What was Sky Captain rated? Had a PG feel to it, with some violence.

Monsters, Inc. was fun for adults as well as kids.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 11:14 am
Finding Neverland? No. Or at least I can tell you that the neighbourhood kids who got dragooned into it by a loving aunt didn't. They were pretty mad about having to go see it. There was some Hilary Duff thing playing (or one of those blonde girls) that they wanted to see.

There aren't too many costume drama type things that the 6 - 12 crowd is gonna go for around here. There must be some kinda tweeny movie site around. <mulling some more>
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 11:18 am
My 9 year old could see "Pirates of the Carribean" every
day of the week. That's her favorite movie.
"Peter Pan" runs second, then "Drama Queen" with Linsey Lohan. "Finding Nemo" was a hit too. And a real cute
movie is "Snow dogs" with Cuba Johnson. "Freaky Friday"
would be another good choice.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 11:18 am
here's what one site has on their pre-teen list

Austin Powers
Bambi
Freaky Friday (2003)
Harry Potter Sorcerer's Stone
Hercules (1997)
Jumanji
Labyrinth
Last Unicorn, The
Lilo & Stitch
Lion King, The
Lord of the Rings
Monsters, Inc.
Mulan
Neverending Story, The
Return to Never Land
Shrek
Sleeping Beauty
Spy Kids
Spy Kids 2
Star Wars Saga
Stuart Little
Stuart Little 2
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate...

link

Looks about right for my neighbourhood gang, which is in the 8 - 12 category.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 11:20 am
http://www.pamf.org/preteen/share/movies/index.html

adds Two Brothers to the list. (which I wanted to go see, but missed)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 11:20 am
Looks good to me ehBeth, except Austin Powers: he's
got some hot scenes in bed with Liz Hurley - a no no for
american kids Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 11:25 am
Lindsay Lohan - that's the one I was trying to think of. The girls and boys are mad for her. Mad.

hmmm, I guess Canajun tweenies, and parents, are cooler. They love Austin Powers. Maybe it's cuz Mike is a local boy?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 11:30 am
My daughter saw it too ehBeth, but I wouldn't like to
be responsible for anyone elses child to let them see an R-rated movie.

We even went the route with all the "Griswalds" National
Lampoon movies with Chevy Chase. They're a riot.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 12:27 pm
My 11 year old liked The Iron Giant, a few years ago, but was not too excited about it (she missed the deeper meaning).
But she loved "Finding Neverland" a few weeks ago. I tought it would be a bit boring for her, but it wasn't. Perhaps it would have been if she was 9 or younger.

(BTW, who can recommend Jumanji for young kids? Apart for some funny moments, It's damn nightmarish)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 12:35 pm
Second for Lilo and Stitch. Laughed my @ss off.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 12:42 pm
Think about "Holes" from Disney. Good movie, and one that adults can enjoy also.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 12:54 pm
Yeah Tico, and I liked the music too (from "Holes").
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:38 pm
Princess Bride is a classic (don't know if it has to be a contemporary movie). I can watch it over and over again. And Labyrinth (also pretty old, but David Bowie rocks).
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:52 pm
I'm the mom of a 14 yr old girl, 7 yr old girl, and 5 year old boy w/a nearly step son who is 7 and 2 neighbor girls who seem to live here when my kids aren't living at their house who are 13 & 9, and the movies they ALL like are "Iron Giant," "Freaky Friday" (2003), "Harry Potter," all the movies, the last one w/Buckbeak is especially a favorite, "Monsters, Inc.", "Mulan," "Shrek," both 1 &2, "Sleeping Beauty,"(but my daughter is named Aurora, and has the 2 little boys wrapped around her finger- but they do seem to like Meriwether,) "Spy Kids," "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory," "The Princess Diaries," "A Cinderella Story," "The Princess Bride." "LOTR," and "Jumanji" are a bit scary for my 5 year old. They all like "The Incredibles," which I believe will be out next week on dvd. The boys are less interested in the preteen chick-flick selections, but watch them when they are on... Besides "A Cinderella Story," and "The Princess Diaries," preteen chick flicks are "Mean Girls," (which was pretty good in its own way, but not so good that I wanted to buy it for them,) and something about a "Teenaged Drama Queen," (w/Lindsey Lohan, which I thought sucked) and "10 Things I Hate About You," (which is great! But may not be for the less precocious preteens) and "Ella Enchanted."
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:14 pm
Thanks everybody... please keep going... I need help!

Unfortunately, most all of the good films for kids that you've recommended are Disney (or Buena Vista Studios) and we are not allowed to show them outside. We can still show them inside the library, though, so I'll keep your recommendations in mind. I loved Nemo and several of those others... the Lion King... Pirates of the Caribbean. (Did you know there's going to be another Pirates of the Caribbean film out in 2006, Dead Man's Chest?)

Anyway, I'm trying to choose films for a special outdoor theater in a city park; we have three nights scheduled. I need something that parents & kids would enjoy. We've talked about Apollo 13... but that seems a little old for kids. (What do you think?) I'd love to show a western. Are there any westerns that kids watch anymore?

Drew Day -- Sky Captain is rated "PG for sequences of stylized sci-fi violence and brief mild language." (That's from imdb.com) It has moderately good reviews and sounds interesting to me. Good cast and apparently amazing FX. I'd never even heard of it, but it's on my list of possibilities.

Who mentioned Princess Bride? I think that one would be great. I also liked that fantasy film with <swoon> Val Kilmer... the one where he says "Oh no, not Brownies." (I wonder what that rating is... will go check.)

Princess Pupule... your daughter is named Aurora? Beautiful! Thanks for your good list.

fb -- I totally agree. Jumanji scared the pants off me... I'd never want to show that to kids. (When Robin Williams was stuck between the floor?? -- Omigod!) So your daughter liked Finding Neverland, huh? I'd scratched it off basedon what Beth said, but maybe it is worth considering.

Thanks, all of you, for helping me. (Don't stop, please!!!) I just don't have kids around anymore... except my nephews, Huey, Dewey & Louie, and they think violent films are great. <sigh>

I could show Lemony Snicket's (whatever it is called) but I've heard that one isn't so good... despite its Oscar.

Here's my List of Non Disney titles -- are any of these any good?
Quote:
ADVENTURES OF ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE
AN AMERICAN TAIL (2&3 available)
AGENT CODY BANKS
AGENT CODY BANKS 2: DESTINATION LONDON
ANNIE
ANTZ
ARE WE THERE YET?
BABE: The GalLant pig
BACK TO THE FUTURE
BALTO
BEETHOVEN (2nd and 3rdavailable)
THE BORROWERS
CASPER
CATS AND DOGS
CHICKEN RUN
THE DARK CRYSTLE
DR. SUESS' CAT IN THE HAT
E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
FIELD OF DREAMS
FLINTSTONES IN VIVA ROCK VEGAS
FLY AWAY HOME
GHOSTBUSTERS
GOONIES
GREASE
HOOK
HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
THE IRON GIANT
JUMANJI
KANGAROO JACK
THE KARATE KID (2 and 3 also available)
LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS
THE LITTLE RASCALS
MADILINE
MATILDA
MOUSE HUNT
MY DOG SKIP
NEVER ENDING STORY
THE NEW ADVENTURES OF PIPPI LONGSTOCKING
OCTOBER SKY
PRINCESS MONONOKE
RACING STRIPES
RUGRATS IN PARIS: THE MOVIE
RUGRATS GO WILD
THE ROAD TO EL DORADO
SCOOBY DOO
SCOOBY DOO 2: MONSTER'S UNLEASHED
THE SECRET GARDEN
THE SECRET OF NIMH
SHARK TALE
SHREK
SHREK 2
SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW
THE SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS MOVIE
SPY KIDS
SPY KIDS 2: ISLAND OF LOST DREAMS
SPY KIDS 3-D: GAME OVER
STAR TREK
STUART LITTLE
THUNDERBIRDS
WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
THE WIZARD OF OZ
YU-GI-OH
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:21 pm
I can vouch for Matilda and Cats and Dogs. Also, Willy Wonka is a classic. My kids love anything Spy Kids and to be honest I like those films too. Oh oh, The Secret Garden -- the book was great but I've never seen the movie. It's a beautiful story so it should be good.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:23 pm
Piffka wrote:

BABE: The GalLant pig
BACK TO THE FUTURE
BALTO
BEETHOVEN (2nd and 3rdavailable)

FIELD OF DREAMS

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN

THE IRON GIANT

MADILINE
MATILDA
MOUSE HUNT
MY DOG SKIP
NEVER ENDING STORY

SCOOBY DOO
SCOOBY DOO 2: MONSTER'S UNLEASHED
THE SECRET GARDEN
THE SECRET OF NIMH
SHARK TALE
SHREK
SHREK 2

THE SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS MOVIE
SPY KIDS
SPY KIDS 2: ISLAND OF LOST DREAMS
SPY KIDS 3-D: GAME OVER

STUART LITTLE
THUNDERBIRDS
WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

that's my neighbourhood's assessment (I spend way too much time with those kids - nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Anyone remember My Life as a Dog ?

Would it be too weird, subtitles and all?

A friend's daughter really loved it when she was smallish. I don't think she 'got' a lot of it, but she really liked it.

How about a Cirque de Soleil film? My friends' kids, and the neighbourhood kids, like to watch one I've got on video. It gets a lot of requests.
0 Replies