What English common word or phrase used to describe Passing of humorous complimentary remark on food

iandu76

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 02:53 am
Hello friends
Please I need help with What English common word or phrase used to describe Passing of humorous complimentary remarks on food one is eating (the remarks are considered very bad manners and as showing that the speaker is unaccustomed to good or well-cooked meals)?

iandu76

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 04:48 am
@iandu76,
I am sorry for this correction. The remarks may not necessarily have to be considered bad manners (due to cultural differences etc.) but silly and funny.
0 Replies

iandu76

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:36 am
As additional information, the word used in my language to express the scenario I described in my question is "santi" which is defined in English as: to rave and gush over food; savoring delicious food by exhibiting socially subconscious behavior at a meal such as making compliments about how tasty a food is. A some site "Are you getting a little carried away there?" and "..... feeding frenzy" have been suggested to me. This is for your further information. Thanks
jespah

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:58 am
Hi - one thing to keep in mind is that often English doesn't have just one word to express such complex scenarios. German has a tendency to create words which compound onto each other, but English doesn't.

For your question, it really could be anything (a feeding frenzy is actually a lot of messy, fast eating and it doesn't apply here). Such as:
  • "You finally cooked something good!"
  • "Wow, you learned how to turn the oven on."
  • "It's so much better when we go to the butcher instead of picking up roadkill."
And none of these are nice -- and they aren't even particularly humorous. They're a bit like what are called left-handed compliments, where it sounds like you're saying something nice, but you're really getting in a dig.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:25 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

They're a bit like what are called left-handed compliments,

We say back-handed compliments.

I never knew there was a difference before now.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:05 pm
@iandu76,
I would go with something like "Damn this **** is good!" This is an enthusiastic complement while the use of slightly foul language and lack of eloquence makes the speaker look like a rube.
0 Replies