Monitor and Destop question/compatibility

neo

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 11:07 pm
hi i am trying to hook up a gateway tower to a 1999 emachine Monitor. For some strange reason i am having difficulty. When the system boots, the configuration keys on the keyboard are not working, however; the gateway page comes up, scan c: files comes up and the windows XP black page comes up with the progress bar. As the system about to go to desktop the monitor shuts down. (the monitor led/light changes from green to yellow/standby). If the monitor power button is pressed off then on, for a split second you can see desktop with all the icons, however it goes blank and led changes to yellow. oddly enough, when this tower is hooked up to an older 1996 monitor it function without any problems. any suggestions is highly appreciated. thank.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 568 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 11:21 pm
neo, If that ever happened to me, I'd junk both the computer and monitor and go buy a new one.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 11:22 pm
e machines....pox on them
0 Replies

neo

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:55 am
i wish i could dump it but it doesn't belong to me. Any other technical advice?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:58 am
Return it to the owner - then go buy your own.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 01:19 pm
Dunno if any of this'll help - shots-in-the-dark, longshots at that -

What does Device Manager say about both Display Adapters and Monitors? Any exclamation marks or red "X"s? Check "Properties" for both - see if they're reported as workin' normally.

You might wanna go to the monitor vendor's website to see if there is XP-specific software for that monitor. A longshot, as XP sbouldn't need anything special.

Might as well check your video card vendor's website for XP-specific updates, if any, for your particular video card or embedded video solution, as may apply. Another longshot.

Are you usin' the same cable to connect the monitors? If you're usin' different cables, one of 'em night be bad. Have you tiied the monitor on a different machine? The monitor itself might be the problem. Not-so-long-shots, to my way of thinkin'.

Monitors are pretty cheap - especially 15" and 17" CRT types. I'd prolly just get a new, under-warranty monitor. Shop around some - there are some real bargains out there. Look for fully warranteed factory closeouts ... they're often far-and-away the best bang-for-the-buck. The brand won't matter much, as long as its a known, reputable brand.
0 Replies

neo

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 11:56 pm
thank you timberlandko for taking the time out to help. People like yourself certainly make these forums helpful. thanks once again i'll try your recommendations.
0 Replies

neo

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 11:56 pm
thank you timberlandko for taking the time out to help. People like yourself certainly make these forums helpful. thanks once again i'll try your recommendations.
0 Replies