La Mamounia in Marrakech

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 01:27 pm
This is the hotel where the "Man Who Knew Too Much" with Jimmy Stewart was filmed. I was stationed in Morocco about 40 miles from Marrakech, and used to visit that city several times during my one year stint in that country. A few of us even rented a room there once. This was back in the late 1950's, but I still have a good memory of our visit there. "La Mamounia, the Arab-Moorish marvel featured in Alfred Hitchcock’s The Man Who Knew Too Much, has been entertaining such bigwigs as Winston Churchill and Theodore Roosevelt since 1923." It seems they just completed a renovation of that hotel.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,368 • Replies: 10
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 01:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Lets hope they have also 'renovated' their tea brewing capabilities ! We went there a couple of years ago for 'Afternoon Tea' on the strength of the Churchill reputation - tepid dishwater at $8 a cup !
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 12:21 pm
@fresco,
Did you visit any other city in Morocco? Although Fez is a favorite tourist destination, I never visited. I really enjoyed Tangiers back in the late 1950's when they had an American Club there. We could get drinks for .05c. I also dated a very beautiful Spanish woman. I have a picture of her someplace. If I find it, I'll post it.
fresco

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 02:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Sorry..only Marrakech (Ryanair started cheap flights there from uk).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 06:07 am
@cicerone imposter,
I'm thinking of going there in October or February. Although I'd like to see all of Morocco Marrakech is the stand out city for me. All because I saw this when I was a kid.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7b/Our_Man_in_Marrakesh_-_UK_cinema_poster.jpg/220px-Our_Man_in_Marrakesh_-_UK_cinema_poster.jpg
fresco

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 09:54 am
@izzythepush,
Marrakech is great for a few days. Be prepared for 5 am wake up (lasting several minutes) from the mosque if you stay near the centre ! Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 10:47 am
@izzythepush,
I don't remember that movie even though anything to do with Marrakech would be of interest just to see if things are the same or changed.
When I was there, there was an American Club on the main road towards the Medina. I'm sure that's long gone because the US doesn't have a base at Ben Guerir.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 11:30 am
@fresco,
I've got a mosque very close at hand as it is.
http://mosques.muslimsinbritain.org/data/images/766/766a1%20-%20Copy.JPG

This one, I never hear a thing from them. Yeah, I know it's not the same at all.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 11:35 am
@izzythepush,
One guy in our squadron married a Muslim woman in Morocco. He had to have a circumcision. I thought at the time it was really a foolish idea, because of the dramatic cultural differences. I guess everybody makes their own bed.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 12:42 am
@izzythepush,
I doubt whether that one near you would get away with megadecibels at 5 a.m.!
BTW The taxis can be fun...tell the guy where you want to go and he will try to take you somewhere 'better' (his cousin's cafe' or shop).
izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 02:17 am
@fresco,
I didn't even know it was there until a few weeks ago when I was walking back from the pub on a Friday night. In my defence I have just moved house. Previously I lived about half a mile away.
0 Replies