Timberlandko, need advice about anti-trojan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:29 am
Hey guys, I was just looking for some good Trojan Security program and I found some sites which had some reviews about anti-trojan/trojan-shield programs, but the problem is that I don´t know which source I should trust and I also want to have an effective trojan security program that doesn´t take much resources so my computer runs stable and fast at the same time and the reason that I didn´t know which source to trust was that the most of the recommended programs had really bad user reviews at download.com, so I just beg that someone like Don77 or Timberlandko come with suggestions and I would be glad for any other replies too of course. Razz

Thanks..... Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 778 • Replies: 6
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 11:11 am
A good, currently updated, properly configured antivirus app should catch and deal with trojans just fine. A good, currently updated, properly configured firewall is another important layer of defense. For another layer, the active monitorin'/blockin' protection afforded by Spybot S&D and the blockin' afforded by SpwywareBlaster are good choices. A pop-up blockin' toolbar, such as A2K's own, or google's is a good way to go, to. Some folks swear by comprehensive Hosts files, others swear at 'em -in some situations, they can slow browsin', even though they can provide good protection from sites known to distribute yuckware.

All that said, though, the best defense is to keep Windows, your browser, your chat/messagin' client, and your email client fully updated, set your "Internet Options" security and privacy permissions correctly, to use your head out there on the 'web (stuff like "Amazing, Limited Time Free Offers" and "Congratulations! You've just won .... Click to claim your prize!!!" generally are not good to follow up on :wink: ), never accept unexpected/uninvited/anonymously-sent files of any sort from any source, never click on links received via any messengin' app unless you know the sender and know where the link is gonna go (anything remotely like "Hey!!!! Check this out!!!! Its really Neat!!!!! www.linktoassortedproblems.com " is a sure tip-off - even if it comes, or seems to come, from your best freind Laughing ), turn off "Preview" in your mail client, when readin' email, click only on links from known sources, and never, scan all attachements and files, however received, before openin', and never, never, never open unexpected/uninvited attachments, files, folders, pictures, or anything else (be especially wary of any compressed folder that needs the thoughtfully included password to open).
0 Replies

daddymurphy

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 02:05 pm
Thx for the reply
Thx timberlandko for the reply, but the reason that I´m asking about it is that even if I have the most current definitions on every security program I´ve got (( thx to your suggestions, I get "problem messages" and so on, almost never now, THX A LOT !! Razz Razz )), they can´t disinfect it anyway, and thats what I´m looking for... a Trojan-Security-Program that is availible to disinfect it, or even stop it, before... it´s even in the computer and I understand if you don´t have time to answer to this question, because I´m REALLY tired, sometimes, on helping my buddies with their, often minor, computer problems.... But if you think it´s okay, I think I have almost no more questions about making my computer secure.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks....
:wink:
0 Replies

Don77

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 02:55 pm
Hi daddymurphy,
Quote:
they can´t disinfect it anyway, and thats what I´m looking for... a Trojan-Security-Program that is availible to disinfect it, or even stop it, before... it´s even in the computer

The ongoing fight of yuckware is a daily battle what advise Timber gave you ( very nice job in covering every aspect possible by the way ) is as current as you can get,
With new crapware coming out every day it is hard for the Anti virus programs and crapware cleaner programs to be as current as they are, Granted they are typically just a couple days behined at most on some of the newest infections,

There are some good free online scans I recommend folks to run atleast every couple weks provided they have a current updated Anti Virus program,
Online scans do not take the place of a Anti Virus program, Run them just to double check on things
TrendMicro's HouseCall
ActiveScan
Just to name a couple

Hope that helps,
0 Replies

daddymurphy

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:14 am
Thx for the help
Thx for the help Don, I´m glad for any help or replies I get, and I´m sure it was kinda helpful too Razz but, do you have any idea about a good trojan security program that : doesn´t take much of my performance, is AVAILIBLE to disinfect the files which is being infected, is able to protect me before they reach my computer and is updated with new definitions pretty often.
-------------------------------------------
Thanks to all who come with helpful information.... Smile Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:04 am
What we're tryin' t say, daddymurphy, is a competent antivirus and firewall setup, used properly, oughtta do that just fine. If you suspect you have a current infection, tell us why - what makes you think so - and what, if anything, your antivirus says about it.

Even a good, and properly configured and deployed, antivirus can miss some things - while you want only one runnin' full time on your machine - your primary antivirus - its not a bad idea to get second opinions on a fairly regular basis, which ican be done a couple different ways; you can install and keep updated antoher vendor's antivirus, but configure it as scan-on-demand only.

Even more than ons additional is no problem, as long as only one is configured for real-time protection. There also are the online or downloadable free scans. You can even go to the extent of havin' your primary AV, a back-up or two or more, and in addition use the online and and/or downloadable scans - rememberin', of course, to have only one primary, real-time app at any one time, and to disable your primary before employin' any of the alternates.

In the event of a significant new threat, the major vendors, such as McAfee, Symantec/Norton, Trend/PC-Cillin, AVG, Kaspersky, Panda, and many others are quick to make available downloadable stand-alone cleanin' tools. NAI/AVERT's free "Stinger" is particularly valuable in that regard; frequently updated, essentially it targets just the latest-greatest threats of whatever sort.

Microsoft's own web-based (also downloadable)Malicious Software Removal Tool is pretty good for users of recent versions of Windows, and Microsoft's AntiSpyware (Beta}, also for users of current flavors of Windows, is fairly adept at catchin' and dealin' with the sorts of trojans and "trojan-like" ploys favored by yuckware pushers.

If you insist, a reasonably functional free-to-try-basic, nag-to-pay-to-get-upgrade "fully featured" product that is aimed specifically at trojans and worms is SwatIt. It does pretty much what it claims it does, and comes with no undesireable payload of its own.

Be aware that the stuff out there on the 'net that is particularly obnoxious about advertisin' - the most eye-catchin', enticin', urgent-soundin', compellin' sorta stuff that visually yells "You might be at risk! Scan now for free!!!!!" most likely is specifically what you are NOT lookin' for.

And no matter what is installed on a machine, and no matter how it is configured or deployed, the most important link in the chain - all too frequently the weakest link in the chain - sits on the other side of the keyboard from the monitor.
0 Replies

daddymurphy

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 12:42 pm
Thank you so much
Thank you so much Timberlandko and Don for the very appreciated help.

I hope I was not asking too many questions and your help was REALLY helpful, THANK YOU SOOO MUCH !! Mr. Green
0 Replies