parking backward

Sun 15 Jul, 2018 10:23 am
In my town the vast majority of parked cars, when not parallel-parked, are parked in the expected way, head first--but a significant proportion of cars are backed in. Why would anyone prefer to back into a space, having to screw one's eyes around to see what's in front? There must be a reason, and I'm hoping someone will provide it.

ehBeth

Sun 15 Jul, 2018 10:25 am
@RichardOJohnson,
I was taught to park by backing in, so that I would always be able to pull out facing forward. Given that so many accidents happen when people are backing out of parking spots, it seems to have been a good thing to learn.
PUNKEY

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 08:18 am
Commercial lots don’t allow backed - in parking. They must be able to tow cars, if need be.
engineer

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 08:21 am
@ehBeth,
I recall seeing (but can't find) that backing in is safer for exactly this reason. Leaving the parking spot by backing into traffic is a lot worse than backing into a spot.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 08:38 am
@PUNKEY,
That doesn't make sense. If they don't back in, it is much harder to set the vehicle up for towing. Tow truck operators want the front end of the vehicle facing them, esp if they need to put it on a flat-bed.
engineer

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 08:46 am
@ehBeth,
I quick Internet search produced a slew of articles advocating for backing in. Here's one: https://www.vox.com/2016/8/1/11926596/safer-back-into-parking-spaces
ehBeth

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 08:53 am
@engineer,
Yup. I've done broker meetings giving them tips to pass on to customers on how to decrease claims - and claims costs. Backing into your driveway/parking spot comes up in a lot of industry journals.

My dad and uncle taught me well Smile
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 09:45 am
Backing in is obviously safer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 02:01 pm
@ehBeth,
WIth my trucks, I always bck into spots. Backing out of a parking space with a big assed truck can get you whacked by some douche bag in BMW (mosta them guys drive like they are hill climbing the garage)
0 Replies