Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 04:00 pm
Hello, My name is Matt and I've got a bit of a problem.

I am currently attempting to write a midterm assignment for a class in social justice and contemporary theory. One of the questions which I must answer is a comparison between Julia Kristeva's understanding of "revolt" and Nietzsche's notion of the revaluation of values.

I have a pretty firm understanding Kristeva's thinking but find myself struggling to find the relation in nietzsche writing. What is Nietzshce's notion of the revaluation of values? I am specificly look for references to Beyond good and Evil and the Geneology of Morals.

Thank you in advance for any help I can get with this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 949 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 01:46 pm
Welcome mellow-natts:)

I think Nietzche strived to break all preset values, not neccecarily replacing them with new ones. I think his idea was that his übermench was a human who could maintain his moral and ethical sophistication without a set of fixed values.

I don't know if this answers your question, but it's all I have at the moment. Talk to spendius or val if they haven't found their way to this thread by themselves. I think they might know a thing or two.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 02:35 pm
Hm, I thought Nietzche believed that humans were on a
downward spiral away from moral and values. His famous statement "God is dead" meant, that mankind killed him and is without a leader. He believed that humans do need a God within in order to revaluate their values.

He considered certain values as harmful and it is necesasry to determine if a new value system is more beneficial and helpful.

Therefore, he rejected modern morality, and saw the need
for revaluation.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:07 am
Re: Nietzsche
mellow_natts wrote:
I have a pretty firm understanding Kristeva's thinking but find myself struggling to find the relation in nietzsche writing. What is Nietzshce's notion of the revaluation of values? I am specificly look for references to Beyond good and Evil and the Geneology of Morals.

If you can't find anything in "Beyond Good and Evil" and "Genealogy of Morals" on values, then I have to ask: where are you looking? Nietzsche was, first and foremost, a philosopher of morals, and those two works represent the cornerstone of his moral philosophy. In short, they're all about moral values. In particular, if you can't figure out his position on moral values in "Beyond Good and Evil," then you've pretty much missed everything. Perhaps a look at this website might help.
0 Replies