If we help someone in need, are we their slaves?

Ray

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:15 am
Quote:
Do you think that, at minimum, you will gain some sort of benefit by helping others (for example, an emotional benefit)? I'm not suggesting that this somehow invalidates the action or its morality but surely, all actions are motivated by some degree of self-interest. Therefore, how are we then, someone else's "slave"?

Not necessarily. I mean if I help someone because I think it's right, I would do so whether or not it gives me some sort of emotional gratification. The feeling that one gets afterward is an after effect of the action. There must've been a time before you've experienced the gratification of helping people, and when you finally did help someone, you didn't do it for the gratification then.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:28 am
Its called Co-dependancy.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 11:02 am
instigate, is your avatar a picture of Jesus with a spliff or are my eyes decieveing me?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:21 pm
My older brother whom I've disagreed with most of my life tried to imply that Christians who give to charity should not feel any satisfaction from the giving since it's the Christian thing to do. Another disagreement persued. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:23 pm
I told him I give to charity because 1) I know what it is like to be poor, because we lived it for most of our youth, 2) it's within our means to give to charity, and 3) I don't give a shet what other people think.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:16 pm
Cyracuz, that seems to be Jesus of the Sacred Heart.

C.I. Yours is a noble gift, but I simply would rather give what I can to where I know it will be meaningful, and I know longer deduct whatever I give from my income tax, either.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:18 pm
Letty wrote:
I know longer deduct whatever I give from my income tax, either.

Why on Earth not?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:20 pm
Letty, Most of my donations go to Habitat for Humanity because they provide housing regardless of race or country, and to Second Harvest Food Bank because they provide food to the needy. I have also given to the International Red Cross for the Tsunami victims and other selective charities and individuals. It's not necessary for my brother to question my motives - whether it makes me "feel good" or not.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:22 pm
because, Anti. It would mean that I gave for something in return, (if you'll pardon the pun) and that really isn't the purpose behind a gift. ".....the gift without the giver is bare......". which means to me that if we give something in hopes of getting it back, it's an empty gesture.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:26 pm
Letty, We no longer deduct our donations, because the tax code allows us a standard deductin that far exceeds the benefit of itemized deductions. I see no problem with deducting donations if it benefits the tax payer, because it only transfers government spending for personal choice. I like that!
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:34 pm
Letty wrote:
because, Anti. It would mean that I gave for something in return, (if you'll pardon the pun) and that really isn't the purpose behind a gift. ".....the gift without the giver is bare......". which means to me that if we give something in hopes of getting it back, it's an empty gesture.

Letty no, please. Think logically for a moment here. Moral purposes are all well and good but if you can get a tax deduction for it then calculate the extra ammount you can give if you claim it back on tax and give that as well THEN claim it back on tax. You can help more people that way.

Surely that's more moral?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:39 pm
Well, C.I., honey. That's cause you make mega bucks. Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:41 pm
Anti, I am truly not going for "moral", but what you say is very logical, Mr. Spock. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:44 pm
Letty's quote, "Well, C.I., honey. That's cause you make mega bucks." ROFLMAO. That's my good laugh for today. Thank you mucho.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:56 pm
See? I gave you a good laugh and it was totally untaxable and free.

I really want to explain about Maugham's Of Human Bondage, though. The idea that the young man who was a cripple and loved a woman who was little more than a prostitute, didn't keep him from helping her, (as she knew he would) when she was dying. At her hands he was treated quite shabbily, and when he became a doctor and could very possibly get the last laugh, he didn't. He arranged for her burial and paid for it all. That signifies the title, I think. I tend to be like that, myself, and I don't particularly like it, but it's me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 03:04 pm
Remember "Les Miserables?" That was one of my favorite stories in my grade school days, and it's still up there at the top of my list. What amazes met most is the fact that there have been so many people during my life that have shown me kindness and generosity, and it still happens frequently in my "old age." Even when I visited Singapore last month, a family I met on my trip to England, Scotland and Ireland in 1998 hosted me to a driving/walking tour of Chinatown, and a meal at their beautiful home - even after I told them I wanted to take them out for a meal and drinks, because Dr John provided me with painkillers when I came down with the shingles on that tour. I don't understand it, but it's always there. In contrast, I've always felt my childhood was full of misery. When I look back on my 69 years of life, I see the glass over 95 percent full. It continues to amaze me.
0 Replies