If we help someone in need, are we their slaves?

Ray

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 01:52 am
?
I think I read this type of argument from egoists.

I don't think they're right. I think there is a difference between helping someone who really needs it, and being taken advantage of by someone who doesn't need anything. Also, it is ultimately up to us to choose, and we are not forced to, thus it does not make us slaves.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,829 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Montana

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 02:03 am
I agree with you. I like to help people as much as I can, but I never consider myself a slave or would I allow myself to become one.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 06:21 am
It is all a matter of a hierarchy of values. If you give up an afternoon golf game, to babysit a friend's kids while she is sick, you are not being a slave. If you are indeed her friend, one less golf game is not as important as helping her out.

If you take the money needed to feed your family and give it to charity, then you are being a slave.

The basic concept is that you do not sacrifice a higher value to a lower.
0 Replies

val

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 07:25 am
Re: If we help someone in need, are we their slaves?
Ray

You make me remember of an old french movie. I think it was from Jean Renoir. An old bum jumps in the river to kill himself and a good citizen saves his life. Then the bum, furious, makes the other responsible for his life. The poor "good samaritan" must take him to his house, feed him, satisfy all his wishes. I think that in the end he throws the bump back in the river.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 09:11 am
That's interesting, Val. It seems that I read somewhere that oriental cultures believe that if one is prevented from suicide, then the savior becomes responsible for that person forever.

Interesting topic, Ray.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 10:07 am
Quote:
If we help someone in need, are we their slaves?

I'd say no. No matter what.

If I save a childs life at the expence of my ability to walk, then am I a slave to this child? Is this child a slave to me?

No, and no. The choice to help or not to is mine. I could walk away.

In some cultures, when you save a life, you assume responsibility for it in doing so. The argument is that if you hadn't interfered, death would have come, so all life after that moment is a gift from the savior. But this is the complete opposite of the question of the thread...
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 10:55 pm
Quote:
It is all a matter of a hierarchy of values. If you give up an afternoon golf game, to babysit a friend's kids while she is sick, you are not being a slave. If you are indeed her friend, one less golf game is not as important as helping her out.

And what values should we have, and how do you justify those values?

If you are a friend to a criminal who is harming (using force, etc) other people, would you do anything to stop him or her? I've heard no's, and their justification for it is that "you shouldn't ask a friend to do anything for you"... What's your opinion on that?

I disagree with them. "Friendship" is not a fixed attribute, and their justification is wrong. The person in the first place shouldn't be harming other people, and you should stop a person from harming other people if you can. That's what I think anyways.

Quote:
You make me remember of an old french movie. I think it was from Jean Renoir. An old bum jumps in the river to kill himself and a good citizen saves his life. Then the bum, furious, makes the other responsible for his life. The poor "good samaritan" must take him to his house, feed him, satisfy all his wishes. I think that in the end he throws the bump back in the river.

Interesting movie. In the first case, he's not being taken advantage of, but in the latter part, he didn't need to be taken advantage of. The bum threatens to jump to the river again, but it is not right for the good samaritan to give up to such demands. It's a very complicated issue... Rolling Eyes

Here's a more complicated question: should you hurt anyone else to relieve your pain if that was the only way to do it?

I would say no, but I'm not in a situation of tremendous pain...
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 04:01 am
Ray

Quote:
Here's a more complicated question: should you hurt anyone else to relieve your pain if that was the only way to do it?

I think it would depend on the kind of "hurt" you are talking about. If I had to kill or seriously hurt someone in order to get rid of my pain, I like to think that I would never do it. But, as you said, I am not in a tremendous pain.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 11:27 pm
I think it more likely that egoists rather say that one who gives of themselves to help others are slaves to societal convention and expectation... even then that's an extremist point of view that you're unlikely to find.

Perhaps debate would be more fluid if there were anyone on that side here to talk for it. This is why just posting an absurd argument and saying "hey, don't people think this is silly" isn't really very productive.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 11:38 pm
Depends on the circumstances and how you react to it.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 12:13 am
However, if you find that you have been chained up, branded and whipped (and aren't paying for it)... yes, there is a good reason to suspect slavery.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 09:23 am
If anyone here has read Of Human Bondage, I think we might understand a little more about the nature of what ties one person to another, regardless of the circumstances. Very interesting study in human nature.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 01:26 pm
It all depends on the person's definition of slave as opposed to the people that will think of him as one. I have the habit of thinking of others and helping anyone no matter how it affects me. This is so like me that when I must attend to my own needs, those people that I'm constantly helping, get offended and call me selfish, yet that is their flaw, not mine. I am not flawed because I think this way, the flawed ones are those who think I must act this way.

Some people would call me a slave because of the way I think, but as long as I don't think of myself as one, them I'm not one, and what they belief is just speculation.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 03:33 pm
Eryemil wrote:
This is so like me that when I must attend to my own needs, those people that I'm constantly helping, get offended and call me selfish.

Lol, I know exactly what you're talking about there. Funny how people do that.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:57 am
I was just thinking, are we using people? Like when we ask them to do something for us. I would like to think no because you're not sacrificing their needs, dignity, and you're not forcing them. Thoughts?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 12:05 pm
Letty, Human nature is a can of worms; no average determination can be identified. Trying to understand "human nature" has too many variables, genetics and environments to consider. It seems only simplistic conclusions can be drawn from any one study or investigation of "human nature."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 01:24 pm
C.I. I realize that, my friend, but having some insight into my own actions, I feel that often we look to see if that probability lies in others as well. The idea behind, Maugham's Of Human Bondage, explores the exact thing that we are discussing here. I can truly identify with the main character in that book.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:38 pm
I'm afraid that's all we can draw on; our own experience/actions and knowledge. We're all guilty of doing that no matter what the topic might be. I know for certain that many of my responses to others on a2k grate at their nerves, because my own experience/actions and opinions differ greatly from theirs. I've been called almost everything negative under the roof, but that's the price we pay to participate in emotion-filled topics.
0 Replies

VooDoo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:31 am
Eryemil wrote:
It all depends on the person's definition of slave as opposed to the people that will think of him as one. I have the habit of thinking of others and helping anyone no matter how it affects me.

Do you think that, at minimum, you will gain some sort of benefit by helping others (for example, an emotional benefit)? I'm not suggesting that this somehow invalidates the action or its morality but surely, all actions are motivated by some degree of self-interest. Therefore, how are we then, someone else's "slave"?
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:37 pm
You are right, it makes me feel good being there for people.
0 Replies