What's your profession?

Reyn

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:30 pm
Not having gone back into the mists of time, I'm not sure if a thread on this has been done before. If so, pardon me. Rolling Eyes

I'll go first. If you're retired now, what kind of work did you do for most of your working life?

I'm an electric and gas meter reader. Have been for about 18 years or so. I also did an inventory clerk job for 13 years with same company.

Fortunately, I get to retire next year and I'll see the back of it all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,063 • Replies: 95
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 02:08 am
Hi Reyn

I was a wood machinist for five years after dropping out of university.

Then I was a barman, doorman, snooker room attendant at a suburban club for a couple of years. Then I worked on a ski resort as a waiter for a year. Then I was a kitchenhand for three years while I studied. Then I was a research assistant at a Uni. Then I was a librarian. Then I was a systems librarian. Then I was an information technology officer at the same uni. Then I was a systems librarian somewhere else. Then I managed web services in a small govt agency but did heaps of hands on stuff like ASP programming and listserv admin.

Now I'm unemployed again, having moved interstate. Anyone need a dilettante information manager?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 02:29 am
I am a corporate banker
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 02:34 am
I've been a waitress, store clerk, payroll inspector in a payroll company, machine and computer operator in a bank office building, a cook, did assembly is a few factories, a bartender, worked in a large photo lab, was a general contractor, owned my own taxi, and now I'm a home school teacher.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 02:36 am
And of course my most important job has been being a mom and dad.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 04:38 am
I have mostly been a teacher of art & media. But have have done a few different jobs, too, like barmaid, box office lady & waitressing. A BIG chunk of time was was spent as an (unpaid) community radio person, some years back. I consider this sort of long-term commitment is just as important as paid work.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 05:23 am
after school i worked as a framer (paintings, posters, photos), for about ten years, then worked seven years in a factory that manufactured silicone sealing systems (on the line, mixing silicones and quality control) and for the last seven years have worked in a greenhouse (hydroponic tomatoes) as a worker, material handler, and for the last few years as assistant grower
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 06:19 am
Ive been a waitress, a barmaid, a sales assistant in a toyshop and now a receptionist where Im so busy I can post on forums all day.
Id love to be a clothes designer.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 06:42 am
I started out doing content management for a website, then picked up the other things here: newsletters/mailinglists, organising meetings, writing funding applications, project development, concept-development of new websites, stuff like that. For an NGO. The new job I'll start soon will be as website manager / researcher.

As a student and shortly after I also worked as waiter, barman, mailman, orderpicker, filling store supplies, all kinds. Did some volunteer work too.

Hey MsOlga, you worked in community radio? Cool!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 06:51 am
Jeez, I am boring !!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 06:53 am
You've got by far the most intimidating job of us all, G. ...

As in, I'm pretty intimidated when you talk about it! Man!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 07:00 am
But I never talk abt it !! Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 07:17 am
the prince wrote:
But I never talk abt it !! Laughing

Yeah you do! Whole thread about your promotion and stuff! Made us all feel vicariously important ... ;-)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 07:31 am
nimh wrote:
Hey MsOlga, you worked in community radio? Cool!

Yep, nimh. For something like 8 years. I loved it but it was really time consuming. Like about 10 extra hours pw, researching, interviewing & presenting. I became quite the propagandist for the cause of good! Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 07:49 am
I've been a cooks assistant, store clerk (various times!) , pet store manager, sales assistant at a printing company, and now I am a sales assistant in Ad Sales for a cable network.

Not a glory job but I've just started in the industry so gotta pay those dues!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 09:09 am
Wow! Thanks all who have posted so far. A nice variety of jobs....and that's how I look at what I do....a job, not a "career". Strictly a way to pay the bills.

The thing is that being a meter reader can be quite dangerous. Recently I just suffered a dog bite.

I know with some customer service jobs, like store clerk, etc, you have to put up with a lot of guff from customers who seem to have nothing but time on their hands. So, I appreciate those who have had to do that line of work.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 11:46 am
msolga wrote:
Yep, nimh. For something like 8 years. I loved it but it was really time consuming. Like about 10 extra hours pw, researching, interviewing & presenting. I became quite the propagandist for the cause of good! Laughing

What kind of station was it, like, an activist type thing or more a neighbourhood-sense thing?

We organised a network of minority community media here (both national and European), and those are sometimes involved in the broader community media movement ... Do you know about AMARC and Voices Without Frontiers / Voix Sans Frontieres?
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 11:49 am
I am an Admissions Coordinator/Receptionist... my job is so cheap that I am doing two jobs... I have soo much work to do, but don't bother doing it all... they can wait... instead I come here and chat!! But shhh.. don;t tell
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 12:06 pm
I'm a contract analyst for an oil company.

In a previous incarnation, I was a union stage manager in professional theatre (see profile).
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 12:16 pm
CrazieLady, I hope that's something like student admissions... Not hospital!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What's your profession?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 06:30:53