Question about Bandwidth

U2K

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 04:54 pm
I am using a free webhost that says it has unlimited bandwidth, so i was just curious, can you increase your bandwidth level by adding files?

Because i thought the only way your bandwidth can increase is to get hits by other vistors???????

Btw my bandwidth/hits is = 16.67 MByte
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 895 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:38 pm
HI U2K, welcome to A2K.

I think you are a little hazy on what exactly bandwidth is.

Bandwidth has nothing to do with page hits. It's about how much information can be pumped through a network in fixed period of time.

Think of a garden hose. Now think of a fire hose. In simple terms a fire hose has much more 'bandwidth' than a garden hose because it can pass much more water (information) per second.

Bandwidth is measure in bits per second, hits are just counts and file sizes are measured in Mbytes, so I'm not sure what the 16.17 Mbyte figure actually refers to, unless you are referring to your web usage stats which will normally tell you how many hits you had as well as the total size of files downloaded from your web site. Is that it?

Nothing has unlimited bandwidth.

A little more info on bandwidth can be found here:
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/speedtests/g/bldef_bandwidth.htm?terms=bandwidth
0 Replies

mrhags

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 11:44 am
no hes talking about bandwidth for a server, not bandwidth for an internet connection

bandwidth for a server is when people go to there site how much information is downloaded, like each webpage is about 4k or so, so that counts as 4 k and as they keep going it adds up. Usually its serveral gigs for a website, but if your webhost says unlimited bandwidth then its unlimited though i doubt its like that, exspecially for free.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 04:41 pm
Mabe Hags, but I think the internet connection would always be saturated before the server was. Or do you mean the total downloaded from a site over a longer period of time as opposed to simultaneously? Never heard that referred to as bandwidth.
0 Replies

Dabuek

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 12:51 pm
Bandwith is just data transfer... If you have more images on your site, you'll use more bandwith. If more people visit your website this month as opposed to last, then this month you will probably have used more bandwith (unless last month you had more pictures on your website!)

It's what you're serving (how big the files are) versus how many people are downloading (viewing your website).
For his purposes, yes, it's probably "unlimited." But I can guarantee that if you started using up 200gb a month, then that "unlimited" policy would be shut down in a heart beat. In reality, they say unlimited because they realize that 99% of people won't use up their alotted bandwith.

If you ever reach your real maximum amount of bandwith (whethor because their lines can't handle it, or because there WAS a maximum actually set in the software and they didn't tell you) chances are your website will simply... shut down. No one would be able to view it, because you cannot send out ANY MORE data.
Typically, though, bandwith is only an issue when there's a high demand that hits the servers at once and the lines and/or computer hardware can't support it. If you were to end up on the front of drudge report this month your website would *probably* not stay up long.
0 Replies