Can someone help me better understand this law?

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 05:15 pm
Or. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 419B.506 (WESTLAW through Or. 2003 Legis. Serv., Ch. 396)

The rights of the parent or parents may be terminated if the court finds that the parent or parents have failed or neglected without reasonable and lawful cause to provide for the basic physical and psychological needs of the child or ward for 6 months prior to the filing of a petition. In determining such failure or neglect, the court shall disregard any incidental or minimal expression of concern or support and shall consider but not be limited to one or more of the following:

Failure to provide care or pay a reasonable portion of substitute physical care and maintenance if custody is lodged with others;
Failure to maintain regular visitation or other contact with the child or ward that was designed and implemented in a plan to reunite the child or ward with the parent;

Failure to contact or communicate with the child or ward or with the custodian of the child or ward. In making this determination, the court may disregard incidental visitations, communications, or contributions.

I've been reading up on Oregon adoption law and came across this.

My questions:

What would be considered "incidental visitations, communications or contributions"?

Does "is lodged with others" include non-foster care arrangments where the DHS is not involved?

Would this refer to anyone who has petitioned and won custody of the child?

Is it possible to have one parent's rights terminated at one time and have the other's terminated at a different time?

Any help you can give me is very much appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,436 • Replies: 27
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 08:02 pm
I'm afraid to mess with it, Boomer, but here - let me bump it up for you.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 08:05 pm
Thank you, roger!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:03 pm
What would be considered "incidental visitations, communications or contributions"?

Incidental would refer to unscheduled brief or minor. The parent dropping by to drop off clothes or sending a check for a new pair of shoes or their birthday would be incidental. If they are visiting every Friday and Saturday (or every 3rd weekend) it wouldn't be incidental. Nor would a monthly support check.

Does "is lodged with others" include non-foster care arrangments where the DHS is not involved?

I would think so. If they intended it to be only DHS supervived they'd say something like "under the care of DHS".

I don't see why it wouldn't. If you've won custody the child is your ward.

Is it possible to have one parent's rights terminated at one time and have the other's terminated at a different time?

It can be done in some states at least. I know of one case my mother worked on in CT where the father was relieved of his parental rights and then the mother a year or so later.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 12:16 am
Re: Can someone help me better understand this law?
boomerang wrote:

"Incidental" means once in a while, but not regularly and consistently. An incidental visit would be like the day biological mom dropped by to give child a ride in her boyfriend's new car. It was a ten minute visit. It was incidental. An incidental communication would be an occasional phone call or a card/letter. An incidental contribution would be occasional payments of money for the child's support or maybe purchasing clothes now and then . . . but no regular or consistent support.

Incidental visits and communications do nothing to promote a meaningful relationship between parent and child. The biological connection gives the parents the opportunity to establish a meaningful relationship with their children. If parents do not grasp that opportunity through meaningful contact (regular and consistent contact wherein a bond can form) with their children, then the parents forfeit their fundamental right to be parents to their own children.

Parents have a moral and legal duty to support their children even if there is no court order of support. Incidental contributions to the child's support do NOT satisfy the duty of support. Parents who do not grasp the opportunity to establish a meaningful relationship with their children and parents who do not support their children risk having their parental rights terminated.

Quote:

Most certainly. If the child's custody is lodged with others, that means the child's custody has been placed with persons other than the child's biological parents.

Quote:

Most certainly.

Quote:

It is possible, but you have to remember that the purpose of a parental rights termination proceeding is to make the child available for adoption. When the children are in the custody of DHS, the agency might have trouble locating both parents in order to have their rights terminated at the same time.

In a typical private proceeding, a custodial parent has remarried and the new spouse wants to adopt the step-child. In that situation, the custodial parent and his/her new spouse will petition the court to terminate the parental rights of the noncustodial/biological parent. A petition to terminate parental rights is combined with a petition for the step-parent's adoption of the child. In this situation, the parental rights of only one of the biological parents is terminated while the other biological parent retains his/her parental rights.

In a situation such as yours, you and your husband are prospective adoptive parents. You will want to commence an action that combines a petition to terminate parental rights of both biological parents with a petition for adoption.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:50 am
Thanks so much fishin' and Debra!

That is really how I was reading it but law can be so confusing.

As to this "incidental" thing....

A lot of the stuff I've looked at talks about the court setting up a parenting plan when the bio-family does not have custody. These laws talk about how if the parent is inconsistent in following the parenting plan how that can lead to termination of rights.

If no parenting plan has been ordered, and I have not been approached by either parent to set up any kind of consistent visitation - do I have any responsibility to try to set one up?

If I go say... a month and a half without hearing from "mom", then she shows up two Thursdays in a row, then disappears for another month - would those two visits, no matter the duration, be considered "incidental"?

Financial contributions have been neither asked for, nor offered - other than holiday gifts and feeding him during visits, so I'm not concerned about that point at all.

I was under the impression that any kind of visit would disrupt our "year clock" of being able to terminate Mo's father's rights and that we would have to start over. I wish I'd clarified that with our lawyer back when we were in court. Maybe a year gives us a very nice cushion to have when we go in to show "dad's" neglect. (Only four more months to go!) Anyway, maybe now I won't stress so much every time the phone rights because that would certainly be incidental.

Yeah on the DHS thing! I was a little concerned about that one because they are the ones that typically set up parenting plans that must be followed.

The actual termination of rights is a wee bit trickier, I see. It appears that there are both rules and exceptions.

I'm going to think on that aspect a bit more....
0 Replies

duce

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:43 am
This is really over simplified: but it means you can't be a half-assed parent. (Parenting is a full-time job that requires a great committment).

You can't wish you had been a better parent and promise to do better next go round. Terminated means END. So if you terminate your rights, you Will NOT likely get another chance. This will affect the parent and the child--be CAREFUL.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:02 am
Hi duce. I'm not trying to have my rights terminated!

My husband and I have been guardians for a child for the last two years with full legal custody for the last 8 months. We will be trying to get his bio-family's rights terminated so we can adopt him.

As we're coming up on a year of custody, I'm trying to get my legal ducks in a row as I've found that knowing what I'm talking about when I talk to my attorney saves me lots and lots of money.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:15 am
Coming up on a year! That's exciting.

The incidental stuff is exciting too -- let 'em call, no biggie. That'd be a big whew.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:22 am
Yes, the incidental stuff is a bit WHEW.

And it is exciting to be getting on the lean side of the year clock. Time does fly whether you're having fun or looking over your shoulder.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 12:25 pm
Incidental or token contact
You are examining the "parental disinterest" prong of the Oregon parental rights termination statute. The United States Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families has set forth guidelines for the states:

Termination of Parental Rights

Here's the relevant part:

Quote:
COMMON GROUNDS FOR THE TERMINATION OF PARENTAL RIGHTS . . .

14. Extreme Parental Disinterest: We recommend that State law authorize termination of parental rights based on extreme parental disinterest in a child.

Commentary

State law should authorize termination of parental rights when a parent has demonstrated extreme disinterest in a child for 6 months if the child is three or older or three months if the child is less than three. Extreme disinterest means that the parent made only minimal contact or communication with the child. There is no proof of extreme disinterest, however, when a parent did not have the ability or opportunity to maintain greater contacts or involvement with the child. There also is no proof of extreme disinterest when the parent does not know of the child's existence.

The prolonged lack of parent-child contact should be enough to justify termination of parental rights even when it has occurred before a child protection agency has become involved in a case. A parent's intentional failure to maintain contact with a child, occurring without justification and for a prolonged period, demonstrates that the parent is not interested in or committed to the child. If this has occurred before the child protection agency has been involved, the agency should carefully evaluate the appropriateness of developing a reunification plan for that parent. (See Hardin & Lancour, op. cit., 31-37.)

Failure of parents to be actively involved in the lives of their children has a significant impact on their self-esteem and development. All children need their lives stabilized as soon as possible by the establishment of permanent, safe, nurturing care taking arrangements. Recent knowledge about the critical period of a child's development between birth and his or her early years suggests that parental disinterest and neglect will have long term negative consequences for the child's development. As a result, some jurisdictions have adopted shorter time frames for parental disinterest based on the age of the child.

Ohio has enacted a statutory ground for termination of parental rights that is generally consistent with this Guideline, except that no time periods are specified. The relevant ground is the following:

The parent has demonstrated a lack of commitment toward the child by failing to regularly support, visit, or communicate with the child while able to do so, or by other actions showing an unwillingness to provide an adequate permanent home for the child.

Ohio Rev. Code Ann. §2151.414(E)(4) (1998).

Note that the parent need not have totally failed to support, visit, or communicate with the child. Rather, failure to "regularly" support, visit or communicate is sufficient. Note also that parental lack of commitment cannot be shown if the parent was unable to support, visit, or communicate with the child.

Oklahoma's statutory grounds for termination of parental rights based on parental "abandonment" are also essentially consistent with this Guideline. Two of Oklahoma's definitions of abandonment are the following:

[T]he parent has voluntarily left the child alone or in the possession of another who is not the parent of the child and expressed a willful intent by words, actions, or omissions not to return for the child, or

[T]he parent fails to maintain a significant relationship with the child through visitation or communication for a period of six (6) consecutive months out of the last fourteen (14) months immediately preceding the filing of a petition for termination of parental rights. Incidental or token visits or communications shall not be construed or considered in establishing whether a parent has maintained a significant relationship with the child.

Okla. Stat. Ann. Tit. 10 §7006-1.1(A)(2)(b), (c) (1998), as amended by 1998 Okla. Enr. H.B. 2826 §20.

Note that Oklahoma does not set a different time period based on the age of the child and adds a ground based on the clear expression of parental intent to abandon the child.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 12:56 pm
best interests
Once grounds for termination have been established, the petitioner needs to show the court that termination of parental rights is beneficial to the child:

Quote:
22. Termination Will Benefit Child: If grounds for termination are found, we recommend that State law require the petitioner to prove, by a preponderance of evidence, that termination of parental rights will affirmatively benefit the child.

Commentary

Where grounds for the termination of parental rights exist, State law should also require proof that termination will affirmatively benefit the child. Termination should be considered beneficial if the child will benefit from adoption or, in unusual cases, where termination is needed because any future contacts between parent and child will be detrimental

This is why, in termination cases initiated by private parties rather than the state, the petition for termination of parental rights is combined with a petition for adoption by the prospective adoptive parents.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:11 pm
I'm glad the "Incidental" clause is official.

Didn't you say you were keeping a log of Mo's "family" visitors?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 03:53 pm
one year
I was wondering why Boomerang was focusing on "one year" when the termination statute provided that parental rights could be terminated after "six months."

OREGON REVISED STATUTES
http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/home.htm

Boomerang inquired about Oregon Revised Statute, Section 419B.506 which provides the following:

Quote:
419B.506 Termination upon finding of neglect. The rights of the parent or parents may be terminated as provided in ORS 419B.500 if the court finds that the parent or parents have failed or neglected without reasonable and lawful cause to provide for the basic physical and psychological needs of the child or ward for six months prior to the filing of a petition. In determining such failure or neglect, the court shall disregard any incidental or minimal expressions of concern or support and shall consider but is not limited to one or more of the following:

(1) Failure to provide care or pay a reasonable portion of substitute physical care and maintenance if custody is lodged with others.

(2) Failure to maintain regular visitation or other contact with the child or ward that was designed and implemented in a plan to reunite the child or ward with the parent.

(3) Failure to contact or communicate with the child or ward or with the custodian of the child or ward. In making this determination, the court may disregard incidental visitations, communications or contributions.

[1993 c.33 §141; 1997 c.873 §8; 2003 c.396 §86]

On the other hand, the adoption statutes provide the following:

Quote:
109.312 Consent to adoption. (1) Except as provided in ORS 109.314 to 109.329, consent in writing to the adoption under ORS 109.309 of a child shall be given by: (a) The parents of the child, or the survivor of them.

[Parent's consent for the adoption is not required when the parent has deserted or neglected the child.]

109.324 Consent when parent has deserted or neglected child.

(1) If either parent is believed to have willfully deserted the child or neglected without just and sufficient cause to provide proper care and maintenance for the child for one year next preceding the filing of the petition for adoption and such parent does not consent in writing to the adoption, there shall be served upon such parent a citation in accordance with ORS 109.330 to show cause why the adoption of the child should not be ordered. Upon hearing being had, if the court finds that such parent has willfully deserted the child or neglected without just and sufficient cause to provide proper care and maintenance for the child for one year next preceding the filing of the petition for adoption, the consent of such parent at the discretion of the court is not required and, if the court determines that such consent is not required, the court may proceed regardless of the objection of such parent.

(2) In determining whether the parent has willfully deserted the child or neglected without just and sufficient cause to provide proper care and maintenance for the child, the court may disregard incidental visitations, communications and contributions.

(3) In determining whether the parent has willfully deserted the child or neglected without just and sufficient cause to provide proper care and maintenance for the child, the court may consider, among other factors the court finds relevant, whether the custodial parent has attempted, without good cause shown, to prevent or to impede contact between the child and the parent whose parental rights would be terminated in an action under this section.

(4) This section does not apply where consent is given in loco parentis under ORS 109.316 or 109.318. [1957 c.710 §7 (109.312 to 109.329 enacted in lieu of 109.320); 2003 c.576 §147; 2003 c.579 §1]

Termination of parental rights:
http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/419b.html

Quote:
419B.500 Termination of parental rights; generally. The parental rights of the parents of a ward may be terminated as provided in this section and ORS 419B.502 to 419B.524, only upon a petition filed by the state or the ward for the purpose of freeing the ward for adoption if the court finds it is in the best interest of the ward. If an Indian child is involved, the termination of parental rights must be in compliance with the Indian Child Welfare Act. The rights of one parent may be terminated without affecting the rights of the other parent.

Quote:
419A.004 Definitions. As used in this chapter and ORS chapters 419B and 419C, unless the context requires otherwise

(30) “Ward” means a person within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court under ORS 419B.100.

Generally, only deliquent, neglected, and unruly children fall within the jx of the juvenile court and it is the STATE that files a petition with the juvenile court requesting that the child be adjudicated (ruled) delinquent (a juvenile offender who violates the criminal laws), neglected (a juvenile who is without proper parental care and supervision), or unruly (a juvenile who commits status offenses, e.g., truancy) and upon such adjudication, the juvenile court is requested to make a proper disposition for the child.

IN MY STATE, the adoption statutes specifically reference the parental rights termination statute and provide that the biological parent's CONSENT is not required when any of the grounds for termination of parental rights exist under the termination of parental rights statutes.

IN THE OREGON adoption statutes, there is NO REFERENCE to the parental rights termination statutes found in the Juvenile Code. It appears that only the state and a ward of the state (but not prospective adoptive parents) have STANDING to bring a termination of parental rights action under Chapter 419B.

PROSPECTIVE Adoptive parents are required to obtain the consent of the biological parents or must assert an exception to the consent requirement as set forth in Chapter 109, Sections 109.314 to 109.329.

HOWEVER, the exception to the consent requirement as set forth in Section 109.314 is virtually identical to the ground for termination of parental rights set forth in Section 419B.506 (the statute that Boomerang inquired about in her initial post) except for the required length of the parental neglect. (109.314 requires the neglect to go unremedied for a period of one year preceding the filing of the adoption petition; 419B.506 requires the neglect to go unremedied for a period of six months preceding the filing of the termination of parental rights petition.)

The termination statute simply goes into more detail concerning the type of conduct that the court may consider as evidence of neglect. And that same evidence can be used to demonstrate that the parent's consent is not necessary in an adoption proceeding.

I think we have at least cleared up what STATUTE applies in Boomerang's case.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 04:04 pm
boomerang wrote:
A lot of the stuff I've looked at talks about the court setting up a parenting plan when the bio-family does not have custody. These laws talk about how if the parent is inconsistent in following the parenting plan how that can lead to termination of rights.

If no parenting plan has been ordered, and I have not been approached by either parent to set up any kind of consistent visitation - do I have any responsibility to try to set one up?

The idesa of establishing a parenting plan is to provide the family members some continued contact while the parents get their lives together enough for the family to be put back together again as a complete unit. The parents are expected to show that they are doing whatever is deemed necassary in their case to get to a point where the state feels it can back out of the situation and the children won't be harmed any farther.

You certianly have no responsibility to put together a parenting plan for the biological parents and you'd need a licensed social worker to approve and supervise one even if you tried to go that route. From what I've gathered of your situation the ideal here isn't necessarily that the biological family ever be reunited.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 04:24 pm
In my state, we follow the Revised Uniform Adoption Act, and our relevant statute provides that consent is NOT required by a parent whose rights have been terminated by court order. Our state law also provides:

"In addition to any other action or proceeding provided by law, the relationship of parent and child may be terminated by a court order issued in connection with an adoption action under this chapter on any ground provided by other law for termination of the relationship , and . . . ."

And, that's why I referred to combining both a petition for termination of parental rights and a petition for adoption in the same action / proceeding wherein the petitioner is allowed to assert the specific grounds for termination as provided the parental rights termination statute.

Therefore, I was a little surprised that OREGON statutes didn't follow the same broad procedures that are found in the UNIFORM adoption laws. But, it's just a "procedural" difference / variation between state laws and it does not change the "substance" of the laws.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 04:41 pm
fishin' wrote:
boomerang wrote:

The idesa of establishing a parenting plan is to provide the family members some continued contact while the parents get their lives together enough for the family to be put back together again as a complete unit. The parents are expected to show that they are doing whatever is deemed necassary in their case to get to a point where the state feels it can back out of the situation and the children won't be harmed any farther.

You certianly have no responsibility to put together a parenting plan for the biological parents and you'd need a licensed social worker to approve and supervise one even if you tried to go that route. From what I've gathered of your situation the ideal here isn't necessarily that the biological family ever be reunited.

When the Department of Human Services has taken custody of children away from their parents on the basis of neglect, the initial DHS goal is reunification of the family. To meet this goal, the DHS caseworker will establish a reunification plan that provides for regular visitation and contact between the parents and child(ren).

If you look at the parental rights termination statute -- the court may terminate parental rights on the basis of neglect if the parents have failed "to maintain regular visitation or other contact with the child or ward that was designed and implemented in a plan to reunite the child or ward with the parent."

Your situation is NOT a situation wherein the state is involved and wherein a reunification plan was designed and implemented.

YOUR situation is one where the biological parents voluntarily placed the child with you because they were not stable enough to take care of the child themselves.

WHAT HAVE the biological parents done during the approximate year or two years that the child has been living with you so that THEY could provide a permanent and stable home for the child? Probably, nothing.

Even though the biological parents have every opportunity to spend as much time with the child as they want to -- they don't take advantage of the opportunity. They will go a month or more without ANY contact with the child, then stop by for an incidental visit, and then go a month or more again without any contact with the child.

This is NOT a situation where the biological parents must rely on a reunification plan with scheduled visitation in order to see their child -- they can see the child anytime they want to without the inconvenience of going through caseworkers and foster parents. SO NO. You are not under any obligation to initiate a "parenting plan" for the biological parents when they themselves have complete control over when and how often they want to see their child.

If the biological parents were committed to this child, they would be seeing the child on a regular and consistent basis in order to maintain a meaningful parent/child relationship and they would be working on getting employment and establishing a permanent, stable home for the child. It doesn't appear that anything close to that is happening.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:11 pm
Wow! I'm trying to digest all of this and I'm confused about some points. If I sound a little scattered, that's because I am!

Okay.....If I'm reading this right...

The consent of the parent is not needed if we can show neglect for a period of one year. And, incidental communication may be disregarded.

(When we finally found a lawyer who would go to court with us we showed him our contact records. Mo's dad had, I think, seen him for a total of 92 hours over the course of a year and a half. This was considered too much contact to prove neglect. I wonder what incidental communication means, then.)

Some of this stuff between the first law and the adoption law seem contradictory to me. Maybe this is where I was getting the whole DHS thing confused. It sounds like if the DHS is involved they can have the rights terminated after 6 months so the child can be released for adoption. However, if the DHS is not involved then there is a one year period that must pass before they will consider terminating a parent's rights -- even if there is someone ready to adopt.

Debra wrote:

IN THE OREGON adoption statutes, there is NO REFERENCE to the parental rights termination statutes found in the Juvenile Code. It appears that only the state and a ward of the state (but not prospective adoptive parents) have STANDING to bring a termination of parental rights action under Chapter 419B

Does this mean that without the parent's consent we have no way to start termination of rights?

Or that we can if the neglect has lasted for one year?

Does this mean that if we can have their rights terminated after one year, that we will have to wait another year before we can adopt?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:26 pm
The parenting plan thing works both ways really.

Without it they are left to their own devices - and their own devices are not to pay any attention to Mo, unless it's a holiday.

But if there was a plan and they disregarded it, acting like they do now, it would certainly work in our favor.

Reestablishing Mo's bio-family in any sense is not the ideal, I don't think, for any of us. I really don't think either of his parents want him back, to be honest. And, I don't think Mo would want to go back. And I know for a fact that Mr. B and I would love for him to be our son.

Mo has lived with us continually for 2 years and 2 months. I have kept detailed records of every contact by any family member over that time, at the suggestion of an attorney friend.

We hear from his mom and her family periodically. She is actually pretty stable right now but she doesn't seem to have the urge to add Mo into that stable environment.

We have not heard from his father since last July but we have seen his parents twice in the last year and a half. Nobody, including his family, has the vaguest idea of how he's doing or where exactly he is.

Honestly, I think both of them would sign away their rights if they thought it wouldn't reflect so badly on them. Having us take the rights away allows them to save face, somehow, I guess. I suppose then that Mr. B and I are the big meanies with the high dollar attorneys trying to steal their kid instead of them being irresponsible idiots who can't be bothered with their kid.

I can't even pretend to understand them.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:27 pm
Boomerang . . . It means if you file your petition for adoption today, March 3, 2005, (and if the biological parents have not consented to the adoption), you would have to allege the following:

That the biological parents have neglected without just and sufficient cause to provide proper care and maintenance for the child for one year immediately preceding the filing of the petition (from March 3, 2004 to the date of filing), therefore, the consent of the biological parents is NOT required by law.

The termination of parental rights statute allows the state to terminate parental rights upon a showing of NEGLECT.

The adoption statute allows prospective adoptive parents to adopt the child without the consent of the biological parents upon a showing of NEGLECT.

The same type of evidence of neglect that is sufficient to terminate parental rights will be sufficient for the court to grant your adoption petition without the parents consent.
0 Replies