Supreme Court strikes down death penalty for juveniles

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 03:38 pm
Good evening, goodfielder, and welcome to A2K. This topic seems to have run its course for the moment. So please don't be disappointed if you fail to see many responses right away.
The big issue with me re the death penalty comes down to this: determent or retribution. When the guy was chasing down the security guard, did he think about the consequences? I doubt it. Does it make us feel better that someone who would do something like that is himself killed? I guess it does to many. (And, as an aside, some use an economic argument: why should we have to pay for a lifetime incarceration of a brutal killer?)
To me the notion of spending an entire lifetime in jail would be worse than being executed. Imagine 50 or 60 years - from the age of 20 to 80 -in prison.
Anyway, welcome again to A2K. Please join us on some other topic of interest to you. -rjb-
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:06 pm
Thank you for the welcome rjb. I suspect you're right regarding the topic - coming in a bit late on a topic that has been flogged to death - pun intended - may either re-ignite the debate or cause a virtual epidemic of yawning. Either way I've learned not to worry about it.

Thank you again, looking around the site I can see the variety of issues and the methods of discussing them is really interesting, I hope I can contribute constructively.
0 Replies