Too weird for words

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 08:19 am
TAMPA, Fla. - The parents of Terri Schiavo asked a judge to allow the severely brain-damaged woman to divorce her husband -- even if she dies -- in one of a flurry of 11 new motions filed by the couple.
In the divorce motion filed Monday, Bob and Mary Schindler accused Michael Schiavo of adultery and not acting in his wife's best interests. The Schindlers have less than three weeks to find a way to keep their daughter alive before her feeding tube is removed.
"We have filed divorce proceedings because of (Schiavo's) total disregard for Terri as his wife," Bob Schindler said. "He is married to Terri, but he is living with another woman and he has two children by her. It has become quite obvious that his priorities are not in Terri's best interest."
The Schindlers' attorney, David Gibbs, said the divorce effort is unprecedented, and would allow Terri Schiavo to end her marriage to Michael even after she dies.
The Schindlers and their son-in-law have fought each other at every level of the Florida court system since the late 1990s on whether Terri Schiavo should live or die.
Michael Schiavo says his wife, who has spent 15 years in what doctors call a vegetative state, once told him she would never want to be kept alive artificially. Her parents have fought his efforts but Pinellas Circuit Court Judge George Greer ruled that Schiavo can have her feeding tube removed on March 18.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 703 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 08:26 am
I really wonder who is paying for all these legal maneuvers. I am sure that the Schindler's have not paid for all this legal tap dancing on their own. And I wonder what is the agenda of whomever is footing the bills?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 08:31 am
excellent question phoenix, someone must be getting something out of all this but what could it be?
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 08:35 am
Lesson to be learned: get a medical proxy document done.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 08:46 am
George- Terry was 26 when she had the heart attack that caused her to become in a persistent vegetative state. How many 20 somethings do you know who would even consider writing a health care proxy or living will? At that age, most young people think that they are immortal.

I hape that the Schaivo case will educate people about the importance of having those documents.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 08:56 am
You make an excellent point.
I need to talk to my daughter.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:06 am
You may not consider having a proxy at such a young age. However if you do have to go to the hospital for a stay, typically they give a health care proxy before to fill out prior to admittance – the hospital required one before being admitted to give birth. Maybe it would be helpful if doctors asked their patients even when going for routine care to fill out a proxy. I bet in most cases, married couples would sign their spouse as proxy.
0 Replies