American Splendor

Gala

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 06:59 am
I just watched this movie and i have question about one of the scenes:

The scenes when Harvey goes on David Letterman were footage of the real Harvey Pekar, not the actor. However, actors play David Letterman and Harvey Pekar when Harvey has his unraveling on national television. Why didn't they show the original footage? Did this incident really happen, or was it something they fictionalized to make for a better story? I am thinking that maybe the Letterman show wouldn't release that footage for PR purposes.

Having actors play that scene was the only thing that didn't make sense in the film. Otherwise, it was a worthwhile story to watch.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 756 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:37 am
Hi Gala,

I'm new to this forum but I wanted to let you know that I had the same question and I saw the film when it first came out! I read in a print review that the director of the film thought for dramatic purposes, it would be more effective to have actors portray his final visit to the show to support the narrative of the story within the story, how unhinged he became by using the comic strip elements, illustrations of actors to retell the reality.

Pretty interesting stuff, and I've thought about that film often for it's daring and empathic approach to a subject matter which is unappealing to most people who prefer a tidy story with a glamorous ending.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:45 am
Thanks Cliff, I am honored that your first post to able2know was to my question and that it was so complete. Really, thanks a lot.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 10:37 am
Yes, welcome to A2K, Cliff Hanger and that is a very good explanation to Gala's question which is gratifying. Keep up the good work 'cause we need as many intelligent posters in the film forum as we can get.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:27 pm
Gala, and Lightwizard. Thanks for the welcome from the both of you.
0 Replies

toy2boy

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:43 am
Letterman talk...
Actually, the reason they did not use standard footage of the 8th appearance (in two years) is because they didn't receive permission to be able to use the final visit before Mr. Pekar was banned by NBC.

The Directing duo would have wished to use the original tape, and they even had a bootlegged copy, but their hands were tied on the issue.

And yes, it is the only wrinkle in that movie in my opinion.

FYI, I know Mr. Pekar personally, and remembered watching all of those Letterman appearances - they were great.

Also, I am controlling some of Mr. Pekar future signings for the true fan. I photograph each signing individually as well to accompany the COA.

Ebay ID is Toy2Boy

Cheers,

Mark
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 08:46 am
Hi toyboy, thanks for the information. I thought it was somewhat of a stretch, or to put it more delicately, a loose interpretation that the 8th visit was filmed by actors to show the comic book within a comic book element. No offense to you Cliff Hanger.
0 Replies