Event Horizon

Don1

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:09 am
I just spent two hours watching this film Event Horizon and I am no wiser now than when it started.

Can someone explain what the hell it was about?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,934 • Replies: 21
No top replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:32 am
That's like asking what Matrix was about.

I for one think it had a lot to do with the evil that exists in all of us.

Great film BTW, IMHO:)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 11:38 am
There's more of a reasonable explanation for "The Matrix" than "Event Horizon" which got lost in its contraptional mechanics and lost the direction of any concept that may have existed when they wrote the script. It was an attempt to cash in on the machines determine the fate of humanity theme in the "Terminator" series as well as "The Matrix." Shameless box office bait.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 11:46 am
Light:

Problem.

Event Horizon came BEFORE Matrix.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:03 pm
You're right and I incorrectly included that with the "Terminator" and the several spin-offs from that film. There is a two year span between "Event Horizon" and "The Matrix" so I do not know how savvy the producer and director of EH were to the development and production of "The Matrix." "The Matrix" being the most successful "machines are in oppressively in control" movie began with "Metropolis."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:29 am
Don, I went to the theatre to see that movie, and I have never seen such total garbage. I assume it was an attempt to produce hell in space, and the demons that therein dwell, but to me it was boring.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 03:07 pm
Letty, I'm quite an afficionado of sci fi but only when it makes sense, this film to me was incomprehensible Confused
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:49 pm
Well I liked it:P
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:46 am
"The Fifth Element" was that same year and it bears resemblance in the apocalyptic concept and was one of the films that came to mind where I suspected "Event Horizon" was rushed through production to capitalize on. "Element" has a sly satirical tone that is missing from EH. EH was a mishmosh of metaphysical claptrap that I think only the screenwriter found many any sense (and I somehow even doubt that). I believe there were other films in 1997 that bear comparison but haven't researched it. "I, Robot" was the latest in the machines taking over and as a Will Smith vehicle wasn't bad even if it only using Azimov as a framework.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:52 am
5th Element was excellent!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:53 am
Mr. Wizard, I went to see that event because I like Sam Neil (think that's his name). It was a movie that even he couldn't save. You're right about The Fifth Element, and I Robot was a delight to me.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:19 pm
Why do I get the feeling I'm a minority of one in liking "Event Horizon" here.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:23 pm
Neo, you could think of yourself as the majority of one.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 04:07 am
Nope, I just have a difference of opinion.

Maybe it was because I [think] I was able to get at the theme of the movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:49 am
The film also, to me, came off as a wannabe "Solaris," but with innocuous flashbacks that have little to do with the situation they're in. It's meant to be a sci-fi horror film but the only horror is the implied suspicion of knowledge. The old, tired theme of man was not meant to go there or do that. The film does look good with the shots of Neptune in the background on the big screen creating an atmosphere of awesome scope. The actors, unfortunately, deal with all of this like they were taking a trip on the subway, spouting out simplistic platitudes about quantum physics. They don't come off as an experienced space exploration crew but a bunch of high school students on a field trip with Sam Neill as the nutty professor.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 10:36 am
"Solaris"

There's a film I need to see if the local Library has!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 10:46 am
It's been on VOOM satellite in hi-def and looked really good for its age. I actually do like the George Clooney remake which does capture the sense of wonder "Event Horizon" is missing and sorely needs. The special effects are, of course, dazzing in the new one and, of course, in EH compared to the first "Solaris," but in EH they overwhelm the actors making it less comprehensible and believable. I think "Event Horizon" was trying for a "2001" stately profoundness and lost it somewhere in the mix. Or were they just going for funhouse scares? I'm thinking I need to see EH again.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:12 pm
I checked my library and they don't have either copy.

May need to see if my Blockbuster card is still good:(
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:49 am
I don't know if a Blockbuster card expires unless you cancel the credit card that was used to open it. However, I'm thinking their stores may not even have the original "Solaris." The Clooney is a fine remake, less slow and contemplative than the original and not as long may be a good bet.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:49 am
I don't know if a Blockbuster card expires unless you cancel the credit card that was used to open it. However, I'm thinking their stores may not even have the original "Solaris." The Clooney is a fine remake, less slow and contemplative than the original and not as long -- that may be a good bet.
0 Replies