Back in the Title 1 Classroom

Joeblow

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 06:47 am
@Lash,
C'mon, that's hilarious! Love her!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 11:36 am
OK, I'm worried. Going to talk about my weaknesses.

1. I foresee school becoming much more online.
2. I am a dinosaur.

I don't think school will be normal again. I don't think LIFE will be normal again. I don't think I'll ever shake hands again. I think I will always be much more cognizant of opportunities to trade germs.

And, mixed in with all of that, I think alterations in how we do school (among other things) will change.

I spent HOURS trying to teach myself how to add my audio to my Google Slides (for the lessons I'm betting will take place through May, though we haven't gotten the word.) I can't do it.

I emailed the tech guy for the district...

I'm super confident in my content---but I am certain my delivery is going to change pretty drastically very soon. I can't be so dry with boring Google Slides and such. Those kids need something engaging... Zipping and flashing and invigorating.

Anyway. Thoughts from a Title 1 teacher in the era of Covid19.

Sturgis

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 12:51 pm
@Lash,
Instead of worry about how school might end up fully online, start planning a lucrative career and business as a Professional Tutor (along with dozens, maybe thousands of employees).

I myself was none too happy when chalkboards started being replaced with whiteboard and those noxious fumed markers! (Plus that stuff doesn't usually wash out of clothing, whereas chalk does)

As to "normal" when teaching, it's whatever method is currently being used and varies from state to state and country to country. Some based upon a specific region and time of year (farm country as an example). My grandmother went through grade 12 in a one room schoolhouse.

Great news! If you are indeed a dinosaur, you can create online lessons, videos and such descriptioning your day to day life!

SO, calm down and have a pot of coffee along with some home baked bread.
Lash

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 12:58 pm
@Sturgis,
You're exceptionally kind. I have been leaning toward what you describe.

I'm just too stubborn to give up.

But, point taken! and sad that I can only thumb up once.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 01:06 pm
@Lash,
You'll get through it, it's just the way that this life change happened so quickly and the fact that everyone has to somehow adapt.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 29 May, 2020 05:33 pm
Anyone who knows law, I’m seeking legal input on a lesson plan to be named “I Am An Abolitionist,” that will fortify my black and brown (and white) students with their legal rights during a detainment or arrest by law enforcement; their rights when they encounter or video a detainment or arrest of a friend or stranger who they want to protect.

This works together with our Social Justice unit.

Any real help will be greatly valued and credited by name with my students.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 08:58 pm
Interesting and sad cause and effect of current racial climate: all my little teacher Facebook groups ( they are legion, categorized by grade-level or discipline, technology, special issues) and the basic argument between the Black Lives Matter contingent and the All Lives Matter people is breaking up most of the groups.

I’m really concerned about divisions when we get back to school. That job is hard enough already.

But, good things are happening too. I joined a new group designed to check our biases and do an anti-racist book study, so that’s pretty cool.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 05:02 pm
Anti-racist book review: “Culturally Responsive Teaching & The Brain...”

The first 20 or so pages are probably old news for most teachers—trying to snag black and brown students with cultural references, but the author promises a deeper racial connection beyond just using black and brown authors and situations.

I have hit upon a few strong reminders of the realities of so many students. Based on Zaretta Hammond’s text, I have already re-tooled my first week of orientation, so points made.

More as I read.

Also, most American teachers (me among them) are retooling lesson plans in anticipation of online classes in August. In my state, we haven’t been told if we return online or in class. We just know that **** is thrust upon us at the last minute and most of us are sick of that.

We supposedly find out in two weeks. The district promises to inform us 20 days before school starts.

Hmmm.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 06:13 pm
My school has adopted the AVID teaching technique and I’ve decided to lead with a Survivor theme, synthesizing the attributes used to succeed in the TV game show and my students’ translation of those attributes to the ones needed for ELA academics.

We’re moving further from teacher-centered teaching toward the meaning students make of that together in peer-talk.

It’s very challenging to relax into the hope that they will make meaning without more structured direction, but I’ll go with it.

Outwit Outplay Outlast

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2021 10:31 am
If anyone wanders by this spot—if your children and grandchildren are long after their time in public school—even if you never had children, the Civil War is on the docket at your local school board meetings. Good, solid educators are being attacked and run out of teaching by this new scourge, trying to whitewash history.

We were told actual Critical Race Theory wasn’t a public school thing.

It is being manufactured into a public school thing.

If you’d like to be on the front lines if this horrid racist war, please find out about school board meetings. Find out what black, brown, or liberal teacher is being lynched and speak up.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2021 03:00 pm
With TikTok ‘devious licks’ and the overwhelmingly rude and disgusting behavior by the majority of the current class of students, all of the teachers on my hall are actively seeking different jobs. Some, in different schools, but most, leaving the profession.

Me, too.

Sad at the state of education in the US.

Happy I decided.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2021 03:31 pm
@Lash,
Sad to see the innocent lose out, but if no one acts they will lose out anyway. I hope you land some place that makes you happy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2021 05:05 pm
@Lash,
Sure hope you land in a better place.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2021 06:06 pm
Thanks. I’m so surprised everything could change so quickly.
roger

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2021 06:48 pm
@Lash,
Good things take longer.
0 Replies