Do you live in a safe city?

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2018 10:51 pm
We live in Sunnyvale, CA, and according to several forums, our city is one of the safest cities in the US. We also lived in Naperville, IL, some years ago when I worked for Florsheim Shoe Company, which is now rated the safest city in the US. How does your city rank in safety?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,695 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 12:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I feel safe.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 02:25 pm
I live in a town not a city so I don't know where we rank- one thing though whenever anything happens the entire police force and fire department shows up.

There was a spark in my neighbors heating system - just a spark so they turned it off and called the fire department to check it out - it had to be the entire fire department along with the police in front of their house - I rushed over thinking something terrible had happened and that is all it was.

Another time I am leaving the house in the morning and all these police vehicles were in the neighborhood - they were stopping some cars - I find out later that some cars were broken into and they were searching for the culprits.

So I would guess we are fairly safe if these small incidents cause the entire first responders to show up.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 02:33 pm
@Linkat,
Even residents of a town would know whether they are safe or not, and that's important. Good schools also make a difference for those with a family.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 03:52 pm
Mine is just across a river from one that, in 2007, was rated the murder capital of the world, all the while being rated among some of the safest cities in the US.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 06:08 pm
@InfraBlue,
Baltimore?
Agent1741

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 06:41 pm
I do not live in a city but I would add that there is no place for complacency anywhere. Just because I live in a small place does not mean that nothing can or will happen. Case in point I used to live in a different state in another small town BUT one day a dead body was found in the trunk of a car down a pretty unused road. Sadly crime can happen anywhere & it does not do any good to be complacent.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2018 06:58 pm
@Agent1741,
It also depends on where one lives. We're lucky that our city, Sunnyvale, CA, was rated the safest city in America for three years in a row - according to the San Jose Mercury News. https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/02/sunnyvale-named-safest-city-in-the-u-s-for-the-third-year/
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2018 08:37 am
I live in Chicago, specifically the Portage Park neighborhood. Before that the Uptown neighborhood.

I feel extremely safe living here. Safer than when I lived in a small town with meth addicts on every other block.
Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2018 09:36 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Even residents of a town would know whether they are safe or not, and that's important. Good schools also make a difference for those with a family.

I do understand this - and I do feel safe there - just that I cannot say how it is rated as a safe city because it is not a city.

I did find ratings of all towns/cities in my state and it ranks 51 out of 237. I think the cause of it being 51 and actually not higher is property crime - violent crime is 14 per 100k; property crime is listed as 1,478 out of 100k. And I wouldn't doubt that most of this crime is at the sad out of date mall with most of the stores closed in it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2018 11:00 am
@maporsche,
I once lived on the north side of the Loop in Chicago on Wilson, and felt safe.
I even walked alone in the far south side not far from the Museum of Science and Industry, and didn't fear for my safety. Also walked alone in many cities in third world countries, and never felt unsafe.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 06:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We live in Laguna Niguel, one of the safest cities, at least that is what was reported last year.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 08:57 pm
http://time.com/4983344/worlds-safest-best-worst-cities/

The Economist Intelligence Unit’s third annual Safe Cities Index has ranked four East Asian and three European cities in the top 10, with the top three — Tokyo, Singapore, and Osaka— unchanged from last year. Toronto, Melbourne, Amsterdam, Sydney, Stockholm, Hong Kong, and Zurich round out the top 10.

Crumbling infrastructure — a key campaign talking-point for President Donald Trump — excluded America’s biggest cities from higher ranks. Only three American cities cracked the top 20: San Francisco (#15), Los Angeles (#18), and Chicago (#19). New York placed 21st and Washington, D.C. 23rd. London rounded out the top third of the list at #20.
visceral

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 11:10 pm
@laughoutlood,
pffftt
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2019 10:40 am
@laughoutlood,
Quote:
Tokyo, Singapore, and Osaka— unchanged from last year. Toronto, Melbourne, Amsterdam, Sydney, Stockholm, Hong Kong, and Zurich round out the top 10.
. Visited all those cities, but also visited some of the most unsafe cities. Never felt fear or unsafe in some of the most unsafe cities in the world that includes places in Africa, Europe, South America, and the US.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2019 01:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Baltimore?

Ha, I missed your reply. I live in El Paso, Texas.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2019 02:01 pm
So do you still think of Sunnyvale as a safe place after that man intentionally drive directly into a crowd of people, injuring 8?
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-victim-describes-california-crash-movie-62629838
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2019 02:13 pm
@Sturgis,
Yes. One crazy person doesn't make a city unsafe. It's the total stats on crime that makes the difference.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2019 03:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

One crazy person doesn't make a city unsafe. It's the total stats on crime that makes the difference.
0 Replies