Female DOORMAT

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 05:11 pm
Women (Especially PETITE women): Do you sometimes feel that people (including other women) try to walk all over you? That because you're small and female, others seem to think they can browbeat you? And if you assert yourself (use your backbone), the people who are trying to browbeat you become even more vicious?

Do people think women (petite women) are supposed to be passive and submissive and cater to demands no matter how unreasonable?

I've had a series of experiences lately that I find troubling. I KNOW if my 6'2", 230 pound man encountered the same situations -- the other people involved would not have acted badly.

Have you had similar experiences? Do you sometimes feel that other people "think" they can use you as a doormat simply because you're small and female?

Interested to hear your perspective....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,975 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 05:24 pm
I'll definitely get back to you on this one....gotta run some errands first! Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 05:56 pm
My wife is petite. Sometimes she throws things to compensate. Like punches.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 06:39 pm
Debra
Yes, I have had many experiences in the past of being walked on and it was most likely because I was always overly friendly and trusting of people. I was one who alway gave people the benefit of the doubt, but in turn I left myself wide open and I ended up being taken advantage of.
With these experiences I've learned that I needed to change who I really am in order to protect myself. I hated having to change, but it was in my best interest to do so.
I am still very friendly with people, but I always watch my back now and I don't take any **** from anyone. I was walked on for many years until I learned to stand up ;-)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:21 pm
People would treat a little petite guy differently than a huge guy, too.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:29 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
People would treat a little petite guy differently than a huge guy, too.

Tell me about it!
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 11:22 pm
It is not so different with humans than it is with dogs. Big dogs tend to dominate, but a little dog with enough attitude can become the alpha. What one might lack in size, one must make up for with attitude.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 11:47 pm
deleted
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 09:09 am
I'm 5'2". People who know me slightly tend to overestimate my height--probably because of force-of-personality.

Since I'm on crutches, I take all the courteous cosseting I can get.

When I'm classified as Sweet, Petit and Brainless the pigeon holing is usually done by Manly Types with more brawn than brain and more ego than brawn.

Over the years I've acquired a ladylike sneer and air of disdain which are very useful. Even more useful is a pose of startled disbelief. Every lout walking on this earth has at least one female family member--or had at least one schoolteacher--who expected decent behavior and encouraged the lout to live up to her expectations.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 09:14 am
I'm like 6'4 or so and I hate small people. Not because they are small, but because they feel like taller people pick on them, and they need to act like a badass to combat it. It isn't necessary, damn napoleonic bastards piss me off..
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 09:18 am
I agree with doglover on this. It is easy to blame it on stature when it is really a characterflaw. Not saying that it's always a characterflaw.

Anyway, here is the logical reasoning for why petite women are the best kind of women:

1: There are two kinds of women. The kind that talks all the time, and the kind that never shuts up.

2: I'm nearly six feet tall

If I need a quiet moment all I have to do is stand up... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 09:34 am
Cyracuz wrote:
........1: There are two kinds of women. The kind that talks all the time, and the kind that never shuts up.

[no hint of stereotyping there!]

i like the "small, dark, and silent*" type!

* except at 'special' moments, of course!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 09:45 am
I assumed everyone would see the joke. I'm actually a hopeless romantic.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 11:34 am
Well Cycracuz, you're right in one way.

There are two types of women in this world, but not exactly how you described.

1) Bitches I've banged.

2) Lesbians.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 12:20 pm
Ho ho ho. Gots to give it to ya for being cocky. Probably why the lesbians aren't interested.. Smile
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 01:34 pm
character flaw?
Cyracuz wrote:
It is easy to blame it on stature when it is really a characterflaw. Not saying that it's always a characterflaw.

My man has made several lengthy trips out-of-state because his dad has had health problems. In turn, I've been tending my man's store in his absence. My man sells antiques, new furniture, military surplus, bedding, and a ton of excess merchandise that we purchase in truckloads from a merchandise liquidator.

Among our merchandise are decorative collector knives and swords. We keep most of it in a locked display case, but there are a few swords that don't fit and we keep those right next to the checkout counter so we can keep an eye on them.

One day, a father and his two kids were "browsing." Well, Dad was browsing and his two kids were running around the store unsupervised. The boy, about 11 years old, pulled a sword out of the sheath and was swinging it. I stopped the boy by saying, "Please, don't play with the sword."

I would think that most parents wouldn't want their kids playing with swords and wouldn't object if another adult told them not to do so.

The boy went to tell his dad . . . . his dad responded by snarling, growling, and barking at me like an attack dog. Literally, he was snapping his snarly head in my direction as he growled, "gurrrrrrrrrr....RUFF, gurrrrrrrr....RUFF." His kid was looking back at me, smiling from ear to ear because his dad was growling and barking at me.

Now . . . I know that father would not have done that to my 6'2", 230 pound man.

A woman wrote an NSF check for $260 dollars. We don't get many bad checks, but even so, handling bad checks is extremely unpleasant and we're not set up to do so. The check was sent to a collection company that does all the paperwork. The collection company sent her the statutory required "Notice of Dishonored Check." She refused to pay the $25 bad check collection fee authorized by state law. But, the law in our state provides, if the person who wrote the bad check doesn't pay BOTH the amount of the check and the statutorily allowed collection fee within 10 days, then we can send the check to the state's attorney for prosecution.

The collection agency couldn't collect and they sent the check to our business along with the affidavit that the statutory notice has been sent out and the amount of the check and collection fee had not been paid. My man had called her and told her to either come in and pay or the only thing we could do was send the check into the state for prosecution.

Of course, she shows up when my man isn't there. Again, she refused to pay the collection fee. I told her, "Okay, we'll send the check to the prosecutor."

At that point, she started YELLING AT ME. "I SAID I WON'T PAY IT. I TOLD THE COLLECTION CO. I WON'T PAY IT. I TOLD ______ (my man's name) THAT I WON'T PAY IT. . . ."

After 30 seconds or so, I told her to get out. I had to tell her to get out five or six times while she continued to yell at me and I finally picked up the phone to call the police. At that point, she ran out the door.

I KNOW she would not have stood there and yelled at my man.

Another incident:

One pair of our military surplus boots, a WIDE size, comes with zipper extenders laced into the boot to make more room for the ankle and lower calf. A man wanted to take the boots apart and buy just the zipper extenders. I told him, "No, I can't do that -- if we take the zipper extenders out of those boots, we probably won't be able to sell those boots."

He stood there and argued with me . . . relentlessly . . . "well, you still have the laces . . . etc., etc., etc."

I still said NO. (Why would I want to sell the zipper for $5.00 and be left with a $55.00 pair of boots that I can't sell because the zipper extender is missing?) He continued to browbeat me until I finally told him to come back the next day and talk to my man.

It's these types of incidents that lead me to believe that people think they can intimidate me and get their way simply because I'm a very small woman. I know these people wouldn't act that way if they were dealing with my man. I don't think it has anything to do with a flaw in my character.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 01:47 pm
Debra, it sounds like you need a large Glock and a nice shoulder holster. Just wear it under a work vest. Show it when needed.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 02:02 pm
Talk softly and carry a big stick? LOL
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 10:30 pm
Never mind the discrete holster-under-a-vest route; strap a respectable-sized iron on your hip - even if it ain't loaded, ain't many folks likely to miss the implied message.

If you're uncomfortable with guns, see if you can talk a martial arts enthusiast into lettin' you borrow a gi, a black belt, a straw mat, and some trophies you can use to pose for some photos - then blow 'em up real big, frame 'em, and hang 'em around the shop in conspicuous places. Make sure you're real reconizable in 'em.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:17 am
Heehee!!! Great advice. I'm with CJ and Timber, Debra ;-)
0 Replies