Why Don't We Care About African Genocide?

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 09:48 am
Thank you. Its great to find new, diverse voices....not all predictable opinions.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 04:59 am
Americans and Africans support use of force in Darfur

Quote:
(Angus Reid Global Scan) Jonathan Cooper - Given that Americans are deeply divided on the war in Iraq, it is interesting to note that several new surveys show wide public support in the United States for some form of American military involvement in Sudan's Darfur Region, which is currently experiencing a grave humanitarian crisis. In a late June poll conducted for the Program on International Policy Attitudes, 54 per cent of respondents stated that they would support the deployment of U.S. troops in Darfur, and 71 per cent backed some form of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) intervention, supported in part by U.S. forces.

On the African continent, there is also broad public support for decisive United Nations (UN) action to counter crimes against humanity. In a late 2004 Program on International Policy Attitudes poll of almost 11,000 Africans in eight different countries, 65 per cent of respondents thought that the UN should authorize the use of force to stop genocide and other severe human rights violations. Unfortunately, the UN's response to the crisis in Sudan has thus far been characterized by hesitancy and inertia, and it is unlikely that strong public support for a more aggressive approach to the situation will actually lead to a timely, vigorous intervention.

The conflict in Darfur has been unfolding for almost two and a half years, and is separate from the recently concluded civil war between the rebels in Southern Sudan and the government. Darfur is a huge region in East Sudan, which is home to some 6 million people, the majority of whom are Muslims of African extraction.

[etc - article provides timeline on history of events]
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:06 am
Why don't Africans care about Africa. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink unless he wants to.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:51 am
au1929 wrote:
Why don't Africans care about Africa. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink unless he wants to.

This from the post above:

Quote:
On the African continent, there is also broad public support for decisive United Nations (UN) action to counter crimes against humanity. In a late 2004 Program on International Policy Attitudes poll of almost 11,000 Africans in eight different countries, 65 per cent of respondents thought that the UN should authorize the use of force to stop genocide and other severe human rights violations.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:35 am
I agree it the use of force is required. However that force should be made up of Africans. I would not be in favor of sending Americans to fight and die in battles that should be fought by the nations of Africa. I should be noted that the Sudan is not unique in it's war of genocide.
Logistical support yes. Troops no!

The last thing we need is another Iraq.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 06:56 pm
I'm going to post this link around some of the darfur threads. On Point, a show on NPR, spent an hour speaking with a couple of 20-something people who were very pasionate and smart about darfur and sudan and genocide. The interview was interesting and shows that people are still thinking about it. Lots of people are and the world reaction, according to some on the show, to the genocide in darfur is unprecidented.

On Point
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:54 pm
I'm afraid after Katrina, Rita, DeLay, Iraq, Miers, North Korea, China, and Iran, not many people are concerned about what is happening in Africa.

Most people are busy with their own lives; their families and friends, the higher cost of fuel, their schools, and their mortgage payments.

I bet over 90 percent of Americans don't even know where Sudan is on the world map.
0 Replies

yardsale

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:34 pm
It is all a matter of basic international relations philosophy!

The world is made up of #### states and each state has a certain set of interest. States generally interact with other states that appear to have the highest probability of furthering the cause of the particular state.

As far as the case of Africa goes there is little (US) national interest in the region because there is not much perceived benefit to get involved there. Where as in contrast the mid-east has oil and "terrorism".

Although, farther neglect of the global south (Africa, South America, and etc could end up causing new levels of terrorism or vectors of such!
0 Replies