Treadmill problem

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 12:39 pm
I have a treadmill at home that is used almost daily by my husband and me. It's about two years old. Very recently it started to emit a sort of oily, warm smell similar to machine lubricant. The plug and the cord get warmer when in use. The entire treading belt feels warm to the touch after about 15 minutes. Neither of us is anywhere near the 250 lb weight limit for the treadmill.

Any suggestions or advice before we call a repair person?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,054 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 12:42 pm
I wouldn't fool around with it. What you don't want is a short circuit. Any appliance, where the cord and plug gets hot should be turned off immediately.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 12:48 pm
yeah....trust us on this one. I had a space heater that had a cord getting warm. Stupid me, I thought, hey it IS a heater....but then there was a spark and a funny smell and the wall turned brown. I almost started an electrical fire in my wall..... Shocked
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 01:59 pm
I know about the electrical danger with warm cords/plugs/outlets. We're not using the treadmill until we find out what's wrong and fix it. It must be a mechanical problem in the treadmill itself, because it was fine until recently. The motor is running hot for some reason? The owner's manual doesn't outline any routine maintenance.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 02:00 pm
What i am saying is that the cord is probably damaged. It should never be warm.
0 Replies