The UK General Election 2005 Thread

nimh

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 11:47 am
It's an odd mix of ideological elements, there. Interesting really (as in, weird-bug-interesting).

The BNP is virulently anti-semitic and anti-immigrant - no surprise there. In terms of foreign policy, theirs is basically the traditional isolationist stance - we don't want any of them bothering us, so we pledge not to bother any of them either. This goes with the embrace of national interest as the only valid criterium for a realpolitik-based foreign policy.

But the isolationism is fuelled specifically by the racist conviction that cultures/peoples/races are essentially different and can't and shouldn't mix. The less intercultural contact, the better. The proposed theoretical underpinning of xenophobic instincts here is through the reification of cultural difference: opposing all kinds of relativism, they insist on the irreconcilable difference between cultures.

That leads them to opposing any nation-building, democracy-imposing projects of the kind Bush and Blair pursue as useless and even harmful - and defending Muslim countries/regimes, in a way, against Western intervention. Can't say they're not consistent.

Here's a representative outtake:

Quote:
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:12 pm
nimh

are the BNP anit semitic or anti zionist?

What do you think of Theo van Gogh's film being shown in Italy?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 02:26 pm
Over here BNP is "Banque Nationale de Paris"...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 02:54 pm
Francis wrote:
Over here BNP is "Banque Nationale de Paris"...
... Compagnie Financière de Paris et des Pays-Bas (formerly), today Parisbas :wink:
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:04 pm
Perfectly correct, Walter...
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:02 am
"Wow," thanks for the information! I do wish the UK remain postioned in NATO, and that the US relationship remains close, or hopefully get even closer. This Force could be one, that those World Oragnizations would not reckon with. But somewhere down the line, I fear theaocracy, which may bring a merge.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:07 am
ConstitutionalGirl wrote:
I do wish the UK remain postioned in NATO, and that the US relationship remains close, or hopefully get even closer. This Force could be one, that those World Oragnizations would not reckon with. But somewhere down the line, I fear theaocracy, which may bring a merge.

Unfortunately, CG, you wont find many, of any at all, in the UK, who like the idea of their country becoming an US state.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:23 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
ConstitutionalGirl wrote:
I do wish the UK remain postioned in NATO, and that the US relationship remains close, or hopefully get even closer. This Force could be one, that those World Oragnizations would not reckon with. But somewhere down the line, I fear theaocracy, which may bring a merge.

Unfortunately, CG, you wont find many, of any at all, in the UK, who like the idea of their country becoming an US state.
Confused A US State, I hope not, I mean I doubt that. I must go into detales; It would be an extra Tax for the US, a great big one at that, a friendship flag, in other words a ceperate organization.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:36 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
nimh

are the BNP anit semitic or anti zionist?

I tihink even just the quotes and links above should answer that question. There are sincere people who are anti-zionist yet not anti-semitic - there's even Jews who are anti-zionist - but I doubt you'll find any in the British National Party. For the extreme-right, "anti-zionist" is, as ever, just a handy rhetorical cover for its long-standing hatred of Jews.

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
What do you think of Theo van Gogh's film being shown in Italy?

Not much. I think a film like that should be allowed to be made and screened, but I also understand why it makes Muslims furious. I hope they're prepared for the ruckus.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:35 am
Think you are probably right nimh.

The BNP are anti semitic, but disguise it as being (legitimate) anti zionism. They are also anti muslim and get away with that by criticising religion not race.

That makes it rather difficult for me because I am genuinely anti zionist but not anti semitic and anti Islam but not anti muslim, which if I'm not careful appears to put me on the same side as the BNP !!!! Sad

Again with van Gogh's film, its screened by the Northern League who are neo fascist, but van Gogh himself was criticising Islam from a liberal view point I think.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:10 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Again with van Gogh's film, its screened by the Northern League who are neo fascist, but van Gogh himself was criticising Islam from a liberal view point I think.

Yes, but liberals can be bigoted too.

Van Gogh was defending the Western, liberal values of secularism, an open debate, equal rights for women.

But like has occasionally happened with liberal universalists in the past, he veered from insisting on the universalness of such values, associated with the post-Enlightenment West, to rhetoricizing about the superiority of Western culture - and the backwardness of Islam.

Muslims were just "goatf*ckers" to him - and he was not gonna give a whit about anyone's cultural values. Is what I am going to do next just about the deepest, most emotional affront to your very being? I dont care, cause in my culture it's normal, and my culture is the one that's making sense, you're just backward folks who need to be shocked and provoked into recognizing the superiority of our open-minded, tolerant values.

(I'm paraphrasing of course, but his rant-like writings and outbursts would be no less provocative in style).

See the paradoxes in that, the trap involved?

The Northern League is not neo- or post-fascist by the way, that's the National Alliance (also in government), but they surely are xenophobic and far-right, thats true.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:11 pm
Anyway, lots more about Van Gogh in this thread: Anti-Muslim Dutch politicians in hiding after death threats
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:11 am
INteresting info re the BNP, nimh. I did a little research into their results last last week.

Quote:
The British National Party (BNP) saved their deposits
in 34 constituencies in the general election, compared
to seven in 2001. The BNP will target these areas in
next year's local council elections.

The BNP polled 192,750 votes in 119 constituencies and
in 2001 they received 47,129 votes in 33
constituencies. In percentage terms the BNP received
4.2% of the vote in the constituencies they stood
candidates. They received 3.9% in 2001.

The BNP received their best result in the Barking
constituency in London, where the BNP currently have a
local councillor, finishing third with 16.89%. Only 27
votes separated the BNP from the Conservatives who
finished second.

However in Oldham the BNP's vote fell dramatically.
The BNP vote fell by almost 10% in Oldham West and
Royten - with 6.94% - compared to 16.4% in 2001. In
Oldham East and Saddleworth the BNP lost their deposit
with 4.9% of the vote 6% less than in 2001.

I'm saddened that nearly 200,000 of my countrymen thought that voting for the BNP was a good idea, but pleased that they lost ground in Oldham (after big race-riots there a few years ago).

Source: Unite Against Fascism
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 01:13 pm
Do you think I can qualify to be King of England :wink:
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 01:19 pm
If that is your German title, from the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family, under your signature line, I should say you are eminently qualified.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 01:52 pm
correct clary

how was hrh pow at dton this wk btw?

knw this is bit cyptic bt y nt
0 Replies