How To Back Up Favorites

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 08:25 am
Found this in my local paper:

Quote:
Use Import/Export Wiz to Back Up Favorites

With IE open, click on the File menu, then click Import/Export to launch the Import/Export Wizard.

Click Next, then click Export Favorites. Select the folder you want to back up. Typically, it will be the Favorites folder, which automatically will include all subfolders.

Click the Browse button to select where you would like to store the copy of your favorites. Ideally, you will select a network drive, a floppy disk, recordable CD or some other removable media.

Avoid saving and leaving the file on your hard drive.If the drive fails, it will take the backup with it. Click next, then finish. You've just backed up your Favorites to the specified location.

I have a gazillion favorites. I was always concerned that if I had to reformat my hard drive again, Evil or Very Mad I would lose them all. They are now sitting neatly on a floppy disk!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,971 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:21 am
You can do this with your email in Outlook as well. You can backup your emails, address book and your account info.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 01:33 am
Thanks! Very Happy

My Favorites are my Treasure Trove, I need them backed up somewhere.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 01:49 am
Oh cool. Thanks :-D
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 02:38 pm
Powermarks
For those of you who are frequent users of your Favorites /Bookmarks,
the previously-mentioned backup tips are absolutely essential, but if you REALLY like maintaining a significant bookmark collection you may wish to consider a program that I absolutely love to pieces called PowerMarks

http://www.kaylon.com/power.html

I have been using it for about five years and in my humble opinion it blows away the other bookmark manager utilities for a variety of reasons:

1. It dispenses with the Windows "folders" approach to categorizing and organizing your bookmarks. Instead, it allows an unlimited number of custom keywords to describe any given bookmark, and it searches the keywords in lightning speed even on a slow computer.
How often to you ask yourself "What folder should I put this bookmark in?" Websites are oftentimes quite varied in their content or focus and as such are difficult to define to the point of being able to realistically put it in only one folder. So, do you save multiple copies of the same URL in different folders, or do you have one massive "Miscellaneous" folder with six thousand entries in it? Either way, it's terribly inefficient and oftentimes impossible to deal with when you are trying to find a specific bookmark that you've saved.

2. It checks the pages for you. How often have you saved a bookmark and then six months later you go back to it and you get an error? Web pages change, and Powermarks will continually update it's listings with a wide range of automatic or manual functionality.

3. It's simple to back up. You can quickly backup your bookmarks in a variety of file formats to any folder or drive that you choose. The developer even offers free accounts that allow you to backup your bookmarks online.

4. It's simple to add a bookmark. Powermarks allows you the option of adding toolbar buttons to your browser that allow simple one-click adding of bookmarks which use the website's keywords, or you can also elect to customize the keywords yourself for easier access later.

5. It's simple to import your existing Favorites. It has a simple dropdown menu that gives you import options, including the option to automatically import your browser favorites whenever you start Powermarks.

Powermarks has many, many more features than the few that I've mentioned, and I hope that people who like to use their bookmarks a lot will give it a try. It makes everything pertaining to the bookmarking issue quite a bit easier than the native tools provided by Microsoft. Smile
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 03:03 pm
Thanks stoat, I'll take a look at it. I'm one of those with 6000 in my miscellaneous folder.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 05:05 pm
Stoat- That sounds really good. I don't have a misc. folder. I am much too organized for that. Mine is called, "Information NOS"! Laughing
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 01:42 am
A newsletter I suscribe to has just had a two part feature article on various methods of backing up and re-organizing Favorites in IE. There are about 6 different shareware and freeware links in the articles. This link is for Part 2 of the article. If you want more, just click on "Previous Newsletter after you see Part 2...

infopackets.com Windows newsletter

I was glad to find the solutions for finally getting the "Links" folder off my drop-down mention and also to find the method of moving links around in the Explorer directory instead of the usual "Organize" selection from Favorites. I was able to move a number of links at one time to the folders I wanted them in.
0 Replies