New Lap Top... does this look okay?

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 07:43 am
I probably should have asked before ordering... but does anyone see any glaring flaws in this configuration. There is no special tasks for this computer to accomplish, btw, the one I'm on is just about dead is all.

Inspiron 1150 Qty 1
Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.60GHz, 14.1-in XGA, Microsoft® Windows®XP Home Unit Price $1,066.00
Dell Home Customers: Save 20% off Dell Inspiron 1150!
Limited Time Offer! View Details
- $213.20

Catalog Number: 29
Sort
Module Description Product Code Sku Id
Inspiron 1150 Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.60GHz, 14.1-in XGA IC26GHN [221-4614] 1
Operating System Microsoft® Windows®XP Home WHXP [412-0689][420-4766][463-2282][420-4830][420-4928][420-5101] 11
Memory Free! 512MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms 512M2FP [463-1677] 3
Hard Drive 30GB Hard Drive 30GB [341-0183] 8
Network Card Integrated Network Card INTNIC [430-0810] 13
Modem Internal 56K Modem 56MPC [312-0188] 14
Document Management Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0 ADOBER [430-1048] 15
CD ROM/DVD ROM 8X Max DVD ROM Drive 8XDVD [341-0176][430-1050] 16
Wireless Networking Cards Dell® Wireless 1350 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps) TM1350I [430-0923] 19
Productivity Software Microsoft Office Basic - Includes Outlook, Word, Excel, IBASIC [412-0452] 22
Security Software No Security Subscription NS [412-0755] 25
Digital Music Dell Jukebox - easy-to-use music player and CD burning software MMBASE [412-0741] 26
Primary Battery 65 WHr 8-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery 8BATS [310-4702] 27
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr Technical Support S1OS [950-9797][950-3337][412-0360][960-2780][960-3920] 29
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months of America Online Membership Included AOLDHS [412-0585][412-0625][420-3224][412-0687] 37
Digital Imaging or Digital Photography Paint Shop™ Pro® Studio trial, Photo Album™ Starter Edition DPS [412-0744] 38
Dell Media Experience Dell™ Media Experience DMX [412-0751] 115
TOTAL: $852.80
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,064 • Replies: 32
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 04:20 pm
That's not bad. They have the same machine minus the MS Office package for $745 on the outlet site.

I'd opt for a larger HD if you can.

I bought a Inspiron 5500 a few months back and am very happy with it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 05:36 pm
that is what i am using now OB.
Love it.
I see nothing diffrent on the one you are ordering to the one I have.
I think you will be happy with it. ;-)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 05:51 pm
Well, it's not an ibook, but it will do Bill .

I'll get my new ibook tomorrow http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/party/dance00.gif
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 05:53 pm
hmm....
you are not excited about it are ya Calamity?
;-) Laughing
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 05:56 pm
Dell has a good reputation and comes highly recommended in my circles. I also have an iBook, but use a Dell at work. That looks like it has everything you could possibly need.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 06:01 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
hmm....
you are not excited about it are ya Calamity?
;-) Laughing

nope! http://fool.exler.ru/sm/nail.gif
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 06:04 pm
HA!!!!!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 06:50 am
Cool. Thanks guys. I added that Office package ($103) and a wireless networking card ($23) only. Otherwise the system is on sale for Presidents Day(20% OFF) for $729... And I've never come close to running out of HD space. I've heard good things about Dell too and figure it can't get much cheaper than this, so... Glad to hear you guys are happy with yours and thanks for the comments.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 07:09 am
Oh yeah. I don't have a laptop, but I have had two Dells, and would not consider buying another brand.

Well, then again, Alienware has a dandy model. If you include a lot of the bells and whistles, it sells upwards of 12 grand. I would also think favorably about a Maserati.

I can dream, can't I!!! :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 10:39 pm
You'll prolly be very satisfied, O'Bill. The price appears quite reasonable for the lashup. I'da prolly gone for a P4 as opposed to a Celeron, a multi-format writable optical drive, and a better, bigger, faster hard drive, and I'd like to see both USB 2.0 and Firewire support, but thats just me.

Congrats, and enjoy. But first, before doin' anything else, when it arrives, take it right to Windows Update and get any and all critical updates, then get, install, and update an antivirus. Some anti spyware/adware stuff prolly wouldn't be a dad idea, either, and the best of that is free. There are good, free antivirus and firewall apps out there too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 10:44 pm
I'd be surprised if it didn't come with USB and Firewire. Seems like that's pretty standard these days of digital cameras and other external media. Maybe they just didn't list it in the spec.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 11:05 pm
I'm sure it has USB 2.0, dunno 'bout FireWire - thats not all that common on lower-buck machines. I use it a bunch, for a buncha things, but other than digital video, most folks, I suspect, can get along just fine without it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 11:23 pm
I don't see anything about a firewire Timber... but Free's right about the USB. It says:

Quote:
2-USB 2.0 (Universal Serial Bus) compliant 4-pin connectors

Video: 15-pin monitor connector

10/100 Ethernet LAN: RJ-45 connector

Modem: RJ-11 connector

Audio jacks: Line-out (external speakers/headphone) and external microphone

No parallel, serial or S-Video ports

As for the other "more power" stuff, I figured it would be a waste of money since this is a dickering unit anyway. I bought the super-duper-bells and whistle model years ago... it wasn't a dinosaur for like a whole year... and it was still extinct after 2. Btw, do you guys leave yours on 24/7 or is that a bad habit?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 11:46 pm
I hardly ever restart unless I've installed an update or a new application. I'm on a mac, though, so I don't know if the rules are different for windows machines. The one I use at work is shut down once a day, but that's company policy. I would leave it on if you feel like it as long as you don't notice a performance lag after long up periods.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 11:56 pm
Figured it prolly had USB 2.0, and You prolly won't miss FireWire if you've not gotten into it already. If it turns out you want it later, you can always get a Cardslot Firewire adapter - plenty of 'em out there for $25 - $30.

I leave my machines on 24/7 - shut off the displays when not in use, and I let the machines go to sleep if unattended for a couple hours, unless they're doin' somethin'. Mostly, the only time mine are shut off is when I'm pokin' around inside 'em. Outta habit more than anything else, I just reboot each machine every few days or so, and I boot to safemode and defrag each machine a couple times a month. One desktop is comin' up on 8 years old - it was high-buck cuttin' edge when I bought it, I've spent more upgradin' it than I paid for it and there isn't anything else I can do to it, really; its no sportscar anymore, but its a dependable, capable work truck), and a laptop just turned 6 - they're doin' fine. All of 'em, btw, are plugged into voltage-regulated backup power supplys which also afford active phoneline and network surge protection.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 06:29 am
I do surge protect and I do Virus/Firewall/Scum protect (since I met you'll on that last part). Perhaps I should start a defrag regimen, because mine have an average life span of about 2 years at home (5 in 10 years). I replaced parts as they went bad on the first, which was practically everything, one at a time over 6 months. Drove me crazy, so I've pretty much treated them as disposable since. The one I'm on has been limping for about a year and if it wasn't for you guys' help; it would be part of a landfill already. Thanks again.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:02 am
Ya know, I beat helloutta my machines - borderin' on, even strayin' into, the realm of abuse. I've had some software issues, and some hardware issues - some due to component failure, and some due to my own ill-advised actions - prolly much, much more of the latter than of the former. Gotta say maintenance and repair will keep any machine runnin' a surprisingly long time. Hell, I've got a tractor over 50 years old, and use the thing damned near every day. It ain't pretty, it ain't sophisticated, it ain't real powerful, but it gets its jobs done - and even manages to pull of some jobs clearly beyond its design limits - if handled right.

One of my 'puters is almost 15 years old; all its done for years now is run my home control/home security stuff - thermostat settin's, certain lights or appliances on/off at preset times, driveway and outbuildin' motion detectors, fire/water/ice detection, general weather monitorin' and recordin', that sorta thing. Its needed a few repairs over the years, sure - but its up to the job it has and it does it just fine. Replacin' it with somethin' newer and more capable would be impractical - the software it uses to do its job not only is no longer commercially available, but is unsupported by current operatin' systems. Thst one I mostly just forget about unless it goofs.

I think an awful lotta 'puters - and other stuff of all sorts - are written off and replaced when a little TLC woulda been all that was needed. "Unserviceable" generally is a state-of-mind thing - nobody "fixes" stuff today, they just dump it when it gets cranky, or somethin' neater comes along, replacin' it with the newest gewgaw. I think thats silly.

I just add the newest gewgaw to the assortment. It drives Mrs Timber nuts; she's always sayin' I've got more toys than any 3 "normal" people can play with, and she refers to my desk, my basement workbench, and my shop area out in the garage as "disaster areas" - won't even go near 'em. Mr. Green
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:18 am
BTW - if anybody has a working - or repairable - original-equipment magneto for a '48 Allis-Chalmers Model C, I might be interested ... Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 10:20 am
reasonable price for the laptop is an understatement! Laughing
I bought mine with no sale price.. and ... well...
lets just say i would have been thrilled to walk away with it for 1,800......... Shocked
Great deal OB!
0 Replies