Liberals - Practice Conservative Argument Techniques

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:23 pm
I never base my comments of reality, I only respond to your posts.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:26 pm
I can understand that. Reality is a tough place for you.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:31 pm
McGentrix wrote:
*ahem*

Look Dys, your application of the technique worked. It silenced the opposition, how ever temporarily.

Extra Credit
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:36 pm
McGentrix wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Actually, seems like babies lives are at stake from what you have written here...

I suppose this is in reference to the national debt? You really should branch out as there are other reasons babies might feel threatened such as lack of available health care, the deteroriation of the environment, global warfare lasting multi-generations, the Patriot Act and attendant loss of freedom, religious persecution of all non-pentacostals, joblessness, and general malaise connected to having career republicans hold public office.

If any of this gibberish had any bearing on any thing based in reality, you could probably sell it to Salon.

This technique would never win a prize. Not even at the liberal county fair.

Well, it looks like it worked against you, McG. I give Dys an A+ and since it's my thread, I get to assign the grades.

But I continue to appreciate your demonstrations of the techniquewe can learn the technique from anyone who applies it.

And we especially learn and are rewarded when it works. As it just did.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:37 pm
My *ahem* was actually in response to your post regarding technique Lola. I hadn't actually seen Dys's post.

Just to keep the record straight.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:41 pm
oh then, so I get the extra credit. Hey that's just super. Thanks so much for letting me know. I'll practice the technique some more. Maybe my ratio of success will improve.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 03:50 pm
Another good example of the technique, but also very good news for those of us who care about the human rights of everyone, not only a few.

Quote:
This morning, the ACLU filed a federal lawsuit charging that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld bears direct responsibility for the torture and abuse of detainees in U.S. military custody. The lawsuit seeks a court declaration that Secretary Rumsfeld violated the U.S. Constitution and international laws.

Officials at the highest levels of government bear the ultimate responsibility for the actions of the U.S. military. I urge you to join us in our call for accountability by viewing a two-minute Web movie and calling on the Attorney General to appoint an outside special counsel to investigate how our government's torture policies took such a misguided path.

This landmark lawsuit was filed by a coalition of human rights advocates on behalf of eight former detainees who were incarcerated in U.S. detention facilities in Iraq and Afghanistan, where they were subjected to torture and other cruel and degrading treatment. None of the men was ever charged with a crime.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 04:28 pm
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Actually, seems like babies lives are at stake from what you have written here...

I suppose this is in reference to the national debt? You really should branch out as there are other reasons babies might feel threatened such as lack of available health care, the deteroriation of the environment, global warfare lasting multi-generations, the Patriot Act and attendant loss of freedom, religious persecution of all non-pentacostals, joblessness, and general malaise connected to having career republicans hold public office.

They might feel just a tad less threatened by those issues than the "hammer and vaccum" treatment. Just an observation. They might like to take their chances with those other little issues you mentioned. Suppose?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 04:32 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

They might feel just a tad less threatened by those issues than the "hammer and vaccum" treatment. Just an observation. They might like to take their chances with those other little issues you mentioned. Suppose?

Let's see, what do we have here? Thank you Tico for practicing with us. You've provided an excellent demonstration of the technique.

I can see that you have little respect for women who recognize their responsibility to consider whether they are able to provide a growth environment before bringing innocent babies into this world. Not to mention zero respect for the innocent babies themselves. These babies have no say in the matter of whether they are brought into this world without the necessary provisions to lead a good, productive life.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:01 pm
Spin-d-less wrote:
Quote:
Lola:-

No.I don't see.I was connecting untrammeled greed with imbecility.

I'm not wholly convinced that "we" do too much "observing and following political arguments".

You might have to define "political arguments" just to begin.You might,like Foxy,only follow those arguments you wish to follow which is fair enough but it is a limiting case.

Like I said to McG, Spendulus. This thread is not about the message. It's about the technique of selling the message, whatever message the user of the technique is trying to sell. Defining terms is entirely unnecessary as long as you close the deal.

Quote:
Basically,you seem to be saying,we had better get as good as Mr Bush's team which is a type of admiration.

Yes, I have a profound admiration for the technique developed by Karl Rove, et al. But not his message.

Quote:
Hitler wasn't engaged in genocide at first.He was elected in 1933.By the time the genocide got going he had dispensed,more or less,with rhetoric.Naked power sufficed.

A very important fact to keep in mind when considering the administration's policies.

Quote:
Surely "word smithing" is at the least trickery

Trickery has a negative connotation. But yes, it's as tricky as any communication is. We seek to influence others whenever we speak. It's intrinsic. I think a better word would be persuasive.

[QUOTE]"Enlightenment" is a nice word for a particular position which not everybody thinks is enlightened. [/quote]

Which is true of all terms. It's truth or meaning lies with the user and the perceiver. Soooooooo, what's your point?

Quote:
I have a bit of a post lined up about advertising techniques but I'm waiting for the right signal.

I could not be more ready. Please post it. I want it.

Quote:
I don't remember referring to dys as a "bear".I thought I used "cutie".

You may be right. Bear may be my word. It suits Dys so well.

Quote:
Hemingway committed suicide I heard.Mailer said something about that.There's packing a wallop and then there's PACKING A WALLOP!!!!!.

Yes, Hemingway put a shot gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. But what does that have to do with his writing style or it's effectiveness?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:07 pm
Lola wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Let's see, what do we have here? Thank you Tico for practicing with us. You've provided an excellent demonstration of the technique.

I can see that you have little respect for women who recognize their responsibility to consider whether they are able to provide a growth environment before bringing innocent babies into this world. Not to mention zero respect for the innocent babies themselves. These babies have no say in the matter of whether they are brought into this world without the necessary provisions to lead a good, productive life.

I have less respect for those who would suggest it was okay to kill little babies. These very same babies who you say have "no say in the matter of whether they are brought into this world" also have no say in whether their mother decides they should be killed. The natural extension of your thinking would be to allow a young lady who has given birth to her child, to promptly kill the baby because she does not believe she has the wherewithal to provide a good and proper home. I don't agree with that either.

Which do I have more respect for? The babies. You respect the parents, I'll respect the innocent.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:08 pm
You're starting to get a little scary, Lola.

I wonder if the technique isn't responsible for at least part of the behavior? It could be self-reinforcing...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:18 pm
Rather busy afternoon in here today.

Lola, We all long for the chance to admire your technique. (watch McG accuse me of bringing up homosexuality with that line.)

Mc G,
51% of everyone in the US is female. Rick Santorum is male. Rape knows no sexual boundary.
I really have to wonder about McG's sex life if he thinks a man and woman is ..... well. you know.. that term we aren't supposed to mention in here.

Line from the 2005 version of "Deliverance" GW to Rick Santorum -- "Lets make em squeal like pigs."
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:20 pm
Tico wrote:
Quote:
I have less respect for those who would suggest it was okay to kill little babies.

So Tico, I take it you agree with the Supreme Court decision today on capital punishment for minors.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:44 pm
I think if liberals wish to argue like a conservative, they should practice saying very slowly and precisely:

A) The right to choose means choosing not to have sex if I am not ready to support a child and using adequate birth control techniques if I can support a child but do not wish to at this time.

B) The right to life means that responsible women accept the consequences of not exercising their right to choose.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:55 pm
Quote:
The natural extension of your thinking would be to allow a young lady who has given birth to her child, to promptly

This does not follow. Women have responsibility to the children to whom we give birth. I support a mother's right to decide whether she can fulfill her responsibility or not. Since we can't ask the fetus what it would like, the mother, whose duty it is to care responsibly for a baby has to be the one who says if she can do it or not. If you want to have a baby, and you can support one, try to find a woman who agrees with you. You have no right to require babies to be born into a world that can not support their existence.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:56 pm
So what is the difference if you kill the baby an hour before birth or an hour after birth?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:58 pm
There is always adoption. A fine alternative to death.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:59 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You're starting to get a little scary, Lola.

I wonder if the technique isn't responsible for at least part of the behavior? It could be self-reinforcing...

Cycloptichorn

Scary? How's that?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 06:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
There is always adoption. A fine alternative to death.

So you say. But you're not the mother, are you? What guarantee does a mother have that her child, who didn't ask to be born in the first place, will be cared for in a loving and healthy way, if adopted?

The mother is the one who is responsible to decide, no matter what the circumstances of her pregnancy. Men and uptight judgemental old women do not have any responsibility to another woman's child.
0 Replies