Liberals - Practice Conservative Argument Techniques

Ethel2

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 11:42 pm
Oh, I can't stand it........here's a sample from the memo (but just one):

Quote:
We can't afford to wait for wind and solar. "Nuclear energy is not considered the cleanest energy source available - solar and wind are. Nor it is considered the most reliable or affordable -- hydro-electric is. But what nuclear has that these power sources lack is the ability to help us meet the energy problems of today and in the future. Everybody likely believes that someday, we will be able to cheaply power our homes and businesses with any one of these other alternative sources. But we cannot do it today. You must highlight this fact. It makes nuclear stand out as the only emission-free, efficient, affordable and reliable source of energy that is available TODAY."

Now there's a good argument. It's not the cleanest, nor is it the most reliable or affordable........but hey, WE WANT IT TODAY! Has this man never heard of delayed gratification? He sounds like a little snotty nosed kid. But hey, they want it clear and simple. So.........we liberals have to find a way to be simple and "on message" as we can be. Come on fellow liberals.........we can all pretend we're in a board of directors meeting and we have our little power point and........

Oh and here's the first word for the conservatives never to say (but just one, ok?):

Quote:
Never say:

1. Government............say Washington

2. Privatization/Private Accounts.........say Personalization/Personal Accounts

3. Tax Reform..............................say Tax Simplification (there's that word again <said with a sing song tone in my voice>)

4. Inheritance/Estate Tax........................The Death Tax

5. A Global Economy/Globalization/Capitalism......say Free Market Economy

6. Outsourcing....say Taxation, Regulation, Litigation, Innovation, Education

(OK, I'm on a roll, but I just can't stop, this is amazing, but not really)

"When you use the words of your opposition, you are basically accepting their definition and therefore their conclusion. We should NEVER (there he goes yelling again. What? Does he think they're deaf or just stupid?) NEVER use the word outsourcing because we will then be asked to defend or end the practice of allowing companies to ship American jobs overseas. Rather, we should talk about the "root cause" (can't you just see that silly condescending smirk on GW's face when you read that phrase "root cause?" Why.....when he says that, it makes his whole face light up like a direct mail appeal letter. How many times have we heard it now? root cause root cause root cause...........But apparently those guys who want it simple, easy and NOW don't notice that the word is being used over and over again.) Rather we should talk about the "root cause" why any company would not want to hire "the best workers in the world." (Just look at all that bold face. How could anyone miss the point here?) And the answer: "over-taxation, over-regulation, too much litigation, and not enough innovation or quality education." (Apparently we're supposed to have it all, the sky's the limit.......has anyone read the story of Icarus?) And now here's the best line: Because it rhymes, it will be remembered." (That's IT. We shouldn't have our spokesmen give speeches, we should have them sing their little catch phrases......if rhyming works, some music and a little tape dance step will really stay with em.)

From now on, I think we should all adopt the direct mail format when we write. It's makes it easier for someone to speed read what we've written and just get the high points. It's the most immediately gratifying and it makes it even more simple still.)

7. Undocumented Workers.....say Illegal Aliens

". . . Instead of addressing "immigration reform," which polarizes Americans, you should be talking about "border security" issues."

8. Foreign Trade...............say International Trade

9. Drilling for oil.................Exploring for energy (choke) This one is dedicated to Bunker Hunt and his brother.

10. Tort Reform......................say Lawsuit Abuse Reform

11. Trial Lawyer............................Personal Injury Lawyer

Oh, god, I can't resist this one either.

"It is hard to distrust a trial lawyer because we see them portrayed so favorably on L.A. Law and Order. But personal injury lawyers, also known as ambulance chasers, remind people of those annoying, harassing commercials we see at 1:00 am cajoling us to sue someone. If you want to get the full bang for the buck, call them "predatory personal injury lawyers." (oooooooouuuu, a little bit of alliteration......makes it easier to remember too.)

12. Corporate Transparency...........say Corporate Accountability

13. School Choice....say Parental Choice/Equal Opportunity in Education

14. Healthcare "Choice"................."The Right to Choose"

Ok that's all for tonight folks.......see you tomorrow.

Even though the memo sounds like parody, it isn't, it's for real.

So let's practice....[/quote]
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 01:11 am
Lola wrote:

For this, nimh I'm giving you a A+ with extra credit. I'm going to copy it and frame it and put it on the bulletin board so everyone can see. It's an example of fine work and is to be emulated.

Thanks Lola, you get a A+ too. Thanks!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 01:17 am
Foxfyre wrote:
So a conservative is not likely to say "liar" to that misguided gullible person who has been fooled into believing an untruth.
quote]

No, c's think it's much better to just reelect him.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 04:54 am
Lola summoned me to this thread for some reason. I've read the first 4 pages and the last page (no way I'm reading through 23 pages of nothing more than a flame-war).

Can someone tell me why I am here? I've never been personally summoned to a specific thread before and I'm not entirely sure in what way I'm wanted to perform. Are you wanting me to get involved? Why me particularly? Rather than making this post I might have returned the private message but I don't have access to that facility.

If you want to know my opinion this thread has merely been a chance to exchange insults based on broad generalities and stereotypes, and that's from both sides so I don't want smug looks from either of your two camps thinking I'm talking about the others. Political issues are far more complex than a system of classification which merely makes analogies with the parties of the french revolution.

Yours,
AB.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 06:41 am
Quote:
Political issues are far more complex than a system of classification which merely makes analogies with the parties of the french revolution.

Yeah, that's what we think too, except for the parties of the French Revolution part, so what Foxfyre calls the L group is trying to figure out is how they, the C group, is running this con job. It's like watching the video of a bunch of pickpockets. Look, now the blocker moves into position while the pick makes the grab and the pass to the holder.

Or maybe it more like being in a bad restaurant.

My fellow Americans vote for family values, what you get a huge tax cut for the wealthy Hey, what'sup with that?

My friends, we must protect the American family against the onslaught of depravity in those Hollywood movies, what you get even less oversight into media ownership. Uh, is that right? It doesn't look like a enchilada....

Vote, people, vote for the values that have held this county together, what you get is a cut in the capitol gains tax, a surge in wages for those making over $90,000 leaving the middle class in the economic dust and a framed picture of the President's dog. Waiter, I don't this I ordered all this, I wanted a egg white omelette.

Nothing is simple, Antibuddha, but they are making it look simple. If the voters were consumers ordering food I think there would be a few calling for the manager, but the silence is deafening.

Now some here have objected, but mostly to our objections because what those in power now want is no objections, no diversions and if there is a (gasp) mis-step, they want understanding and benefit of the doubt.

That would be nice. And maybe we should be nice to them as they dismantle the social and political structures built over the past sixty years while claiming they are defending them, but, in the words of Richard Nixon, that would be wrong. As wrong as saying one thing and meaning something completely different, or pretending to stand for some principle while sliding more power into the hands of those who would defile it, or telling the people you on on their side when you couldn't give a ratass what happens to any of the chumps as long as they vote your way.

Joe(Now in this hand, watch carefully, I have the Ace of Spades)Nation
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:11 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Yeah, that's what we think too, except for the parties of the French Revolution part,

The left-wing/right-wing terms describe the seating of the gerondins and jacobites. The two parties in the revolutionary parliament of early France.

Quote:
so what Foxfyre calls the L group is trying to figure out is how they, the C group, is running this con job. It's like watching the video of a bunch of pickpockets. Look, now the blocker moves into position while the pick makes the grab and the pass to the holder.

The principles really haven't changed ever. For a fantastic discussion of these tecnhiques you should read the book "The Prince" by Nicolo Machiavelli. It was written in 1505 but still uses much of the same techniques you'll see around these days.

Quote:
Nothing is simple, Antibuddha, but they are making it look simple. If the voters were consumers ordering food I think there would be a few calling for the manager, but the silence is deafening.

Aside from full-length award winning documentaries about it being shown at cinemas, thousands of websites, comics, best-selling books being published, magazine articles, protests in the street....

Man I wish there was that much silence about my artistic work.

Quote:
They want understanding and benefit of the doubt. That would be nice.

So George Bush does an immoral action (dismantles civil liberties) in order to prevent an immoral action (terrorist attacks) and this is wrong. It's pretty clear that in cases such as this a particular high standard of morality must be upheld even if it may result in being weak against other immoral acts.

Why isn't it necessary to maintain the moral standards of honesty and integrity for the left wing... because it would weaken the left-wing against the attacks of the right wing? That's precisely the reasoning used by George Bush.

To me a moral code can not be thrown aside when dealing with those who don't share it without being worthless.

Quote:
And maybe we should be nice to them as they dismantle the social and political structures built over the past sixty years while claiming they are defending them,

It's the only way you'll ever win. That's just my opinion though.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:27 am
theantibuddha wrote:
The left-wing/right-wing terms describe the seating of the gerondins and jacobites. The two parties in the revolutionary parliament of early France.

Sorry not participating in this debate, but just making a historical point :

Girondins, not gerondins.

and,

Quote:
Jacobins and Jacobites

Pro-revolutionary members of France's National Constituent Assembly had formed a group which became known as the Society of the Friends of the Constitution. After the Assembly moved to Paris, this group met there in a hall leased from the Jacobins' convent of Catholic Dominican Friars. These revolutionaries, sworn to protect the revolution from the aristocrats, soon were known as the Jacobin Club. Since that time, all revolutionaries have been called Jacobins.

At least that is the official story of the Jacobins. As usual, the Jacobins are tied to earlier secret societies, in this case a movement to restore a kingship in Britain.

In 1688 England's unpopular and pro-Catholic Stuart king, James II, was deposed by his Dutch son-in-law, the Protestant William of Orange. James - whose name in Latin was Jacobus, hence the name Jacobites - fled to France. There he continued to be supported by Freemasons in Scotland and Wales who sought to restore him to the English throne. They were accused by French Freemasons of converting Masonic rituals and titles into political support for this restoration.

According to some versions of Masonic history, James was ensconced in the Chateau of Saint-Germain by his friend, French King Louis XIV where he established a system of Masonry that became known as the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry.

After a series of failed rebellions, the Jacobites in Scotland were finally crushed at the battle of Culloden Moor near Inverness in 1746. Their leader, Charles Edward Stuart, "Bonnie Prince Charlie, the young pretender," escaped to France, taking with him Jacobites imbued with "Freemasonic ideals". A year later in Arras, France, Charles chartered a Masonic Sovereign Primordial Chapter of Rose Croix known as "Scottish Jacobite"...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 08:37 am
Joe Nation writes
Quote:
And maybe we should be nice to them as they dismantle the social and political structures built over the past sixty years while claiming they are defending them,

A number must be assigned to this one. Those in the "L" camp who seek to destroy decades or hundreds or thousands of years of tradition, policy, or social values label themselve 'progressive'. Those in the "C" camp who seek to correct or repair ancient rusty, leaky, creaky, or failed dinosaurs emerging from past generations or look for new, fresh ways to do it better are said to be 'dismantling social and political strutures.'

I look at AB's post and wonder if 'nice' is possible when speaking separate languages?
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 08:41 am
Francis wrote:
Sorry not partig in this debate

I really don't blame you there. I don't want in on this either but I'm a sucker for requests.

Quote:
Girondins, not gerondins.

Merci, parfois mon ecriture est terrible, je dois recommence parler en francais plus souvent ou je vais oublier tous que je sais. Il y a longtemps que je n'ai pas eu la chance parler avec quelqu'en francais.

And I'm sure that I made errors there but I trust the general point gets across.cipatin
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 08:46 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I look at AB's post and wonder if 'nice' is possible when speaking separate languages?

Thanks foxfyre, That's the point I was trying to make. The two sides here aren't cutting each other the same slack that they cut themselves. That's why there are two different languages. Not from a difference in belief but in the justifications of their own hypocrisies.

This is why I try to avoid involvement in politics. Everyone wants me to pick a side when to me I wouldn't want to be assosciated with either.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 08:49 am
theantibuddha wrote:
Merci, parfois mon ecriture est terrible, je dois recommence parler en francais plus souvent ou je vais oublier tous que je sais. Il y a longtemps que je n'ai pas eu la chance parler avec quelqu'en francais.

And I'm sure that I made errors there but I trust the general point gets across.cipatin

Pas mal!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 08:58 am
AB writes
Quote:
This is why I try to avoid involvement in politics. Everyone wants me to pick a side when to me I wouldn't want to be assosciated with either.

I wish I had your discipline my friend. I would very much prefer a world where people of differing opinions could pour a cup of coffee and sit down together to work out compromises that would meet the most important needs of both. But while I do believe there are greater and lesser evils, and sometimes it is necessary to attack in order to defend, a good deal of American politics has degenerated into a "I win if you lose" mentality.

But while I refuse to play that game, unlike you I must receive some sort of perverse pleasure in banging my head against a wall.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:02 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Conservatives understand that there can be a difference between a lie and an untruth.

Conservatives and Bill Clinton..
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:02 am
another headbanger...

Hope you can stay above it, AB. It would be fabulous to have access to what may actually be an unbiased opinion.

Only, I guess you are biased against Buddha...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:12 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Lash wrote:
Let's recap this argument.

A conservative asks what is your plan for Social Security?

wrong. i posted what the existing dem plan was. you ignored it and deflected to the "clintin is a private citizen" position. but if you noticed the dates of the things i posted, he was still the president of the united states.
he even brought it up in the 1999 sotu.

conservatives don't have to like the plan. they can say no to the plan. but they cannot say that there was no democratic plan as i've just shown that there was. previous to the republican plan, by the way.

getting an answer that you don't like is not the same as getting no answer. which is perhaps a new tactic # ? guys ?

Yep, definitely worth a new number, in general. Works either way, by the way (I think Joe Nation did it too a few pages back). "They" ask you, "but yeah come up with what you people suggested"; you tell 'em what you suggested; they move the goalposts and say, "well that doesnt count".

I think whatever number or name we assign to it must be devoted to Foxfyre, who followed your post immediately with an exact example of said tactic:

Foxfyre wrote:
But a non-plan, i.e. Clinton's plan, presented as a plan has to have a number somewhere.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:16 am
Lash wrote:
Hope you can stay above it, AB. It would be fabulous to have access to what may actually be an unbiased opinion.

Lol, I'm not unbiased. No one is. I'm just not a "joiner" and try to hold my side to an even higher moral standard than I hold my enemies.

Quote:
Only, I guess you are biased against Buddha...

Nah, I'm kind of fond of good ol' Sidhuartha Ghuatama (forgive the spelling). The name is a jest. Still, you're right. Any impartiality or open-mindedness that I strive to keep evaporates once religion becomes involved... usually.

Quote:
I would very much prefer a world where people of differing opinions could pour a cup of coffee and sit down together to work out compromises that would meet the most important needs of both.

Oh god yes. Forgive me as I swoon at the mental image.

I wrote:
This is why I try to avoid involvement in politics.

Emphasis on word try... I don't always succeed. I hope I haven't painted an image of me as some magically unbiased figure. That's what I strive towards but, I'm only human.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:26 am
Nimh did you read the link outlining Clinton's 'plan":

Quote:
President Bill Clinton is considering a plan to use the budget surplus to fund new retirement savings accounts to supplement Social Security. Although the President's plan has some good points, Congress would need to correct several weaknesses for it to become the basis for serious long-term reform.

Details are vague, but the plan appears to use the federal budget surplus--estimated at $76 billion this year--to create the new retirement savings accounts. It is not clear whether every American would qualify for these accounts, or only those who fall below a certain income level. The surplus probably would be used to start the accounts, but future payments to them might be made as either an annual lump sum or a federal match of what the owner had saved. How to administer the accounts and invest their funds is still being discussed. One version would make the accounts voluntary

Not only is this a 'non plan', but the writer shows a certain incompetency in saying in one breath "Congresss would need to correct several weaknesses' while in the next breath engages in speculation and acknowledgment that he doesn't have a clue how it would work.. . ."It is unlear. . . .probably. . ..still being discussed. ...."

For the record, in what minimal debate occurred on this issue, the GOP never said no to privatization, but rather said no to establishing a policy based on something as temporal and transitional as a budget surplus and creating still another potentially huge and unmanageable entitlement. That is a huge difference to saying no to even a discussion of privatizing a small portion of social security now.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:41 am
Quote:
For the record, in what minimal debate occurred on this issue, the GOP never said no to privatization, but rather said no to establishing a policy based on something as temporal and transitional as a budget surplus and creating still another potentially huge and unmanageable entitlement. That is a huge difference to saying no to even a discussion of privatizing a small portion of social security now.

So you didn't understand what happened nor what was being considered but I did like the way you got the con-words
Quote:
creating still another potentially huge and unmanageable entitlement.
in there when there wasn't going to be an entitlement. Good example. Keep'em coming.

Joe(Please pass that gallon of white-out)Nation
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 09:50 am
Okay I'll bite. Please explain how adding a 'matching fund' or using a budget surplus to create new accounts would NOT be a new entitlement? I'll read the response when I get back from teaching my class.

Foxfyre (always willing to hear reasonable arguments about anything.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 11:18 am
*Ahem*

People.

Remember the Contract with America? The Republicans (minority, relatively powerless) got together and came up with a PLAN for several contending issues on the forefront of US politics. People knew what the GOP intended for many issues.

To point to a by-gone plan of Clinton's is not addressing the present.

I'm not going to say he didn't have a plan. I'm not going to say he didn't have (eventually) a surplus.

All I'm going to say is--

Can anyone show a SS, or education plan espoused by Democrats in the year 2005?

Have they agreed on any plan--stamped DEM on it, and forwarded it to anyone? DO THEY HAVE A PLAN?
0 Replies