Murder punishments??!!

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 05:08 am
There was a crime commited in the UK about 10 years ago.
I young toddler was led away from his parents by 2 boys(both about 10years old)they led him to a railway line,beat him,stoned him,rubbed paint in his eyes and put batteries up his behind.

The boys that committed the crime served half their sentence and will be given a chance to set up a new life of anonimity.

How crazy do you find this?????!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,928 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 06:56 am
Truely somethingwe just do not want to hear about.We need a new AUSTRALIA only in a different gimension.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 09:39 am
material girl: I presume you're referring to the James Bulger murder case (I'd hate to think that there were two cases like that). For more information on this case, click here.

In general, we don't hold 10-year-olds to the same standards of conduct as adults. In particular, the law does not hold minors to the same rules regarding criminal intent. Minors, in short, are frequently considered to be no different from people who are insane (a point with which many parents will agree).

In the US, minors up to around 7 or 8 are deemed incapable of forming criminal intent; from 7 or 8 up to 14, they are presumed incapable of forming intent, but the presumption can be rebutted. Kids over 14 are treated like adults for the purposes of criminal intent (the laws, however, vary from state to state).

I don't really know all the details of the Bulger case, but the killers were 10 at the time they committed the crime. In the US, it would be very difficult for the state to prove that they acted with the requisite level of intent (except maybe in Texas). As such, the state could only hold them as juveniles until they reached their 18th birthdays, which also appears to have been the case here.

material girl wrote:
How crazy do you find this?????!!!!

Not very crazy at all. Do we want to incarcerate people for the rest of their lives over the decisions that they made as 10-year-olds?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 04:10 am
Do we really want murderers to get away with a crime just because they are too young to be tried as adults!!!Should older criminals get longer in jail because they are older?!

That child is still dead, why should they get away with it?
Would it be better to punish the criminals by the outcome of the crime?

Surely they must have known that rubbing paint in the boys eyes and butting batteries up his behind was wrong!
I dont know if intent applies but where did they get the batteries/paint from?Why leave his body on a train line,did they think the train wouldnt hurt him??!!

I just find it crazy that people can do that sort of thing and get away with it.

There was a similar case with Mary Bell in the '60's.She is also living anonomously.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 09:37 am
material girl wrote:
That child is still dead, why should they get away with it?
Would it be better to punish the criminals by the outcome of the crime?

What if the criminal, because of youth or mental defect, cannot fully appreciate the outcome of the crime?

material girl wrote:
There was a similar case with Mary Bell in the '60's.She is also living anonomously.

Yes, another very tragic case. Details can be found here.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 09:59 am
If they commited the crime I dont see why they dont go to jail.
They still did it and should pay wether they are too young or not.
There seems to be too much fore the criminal and not enough fore the victim.

Im sure the brutally murdered boys parents dont appreciate the small sentence the baby killers recieved.

It just seems what the law is saying is that 'if your gona murder someone best to do it when your young, then youll get away with it'.

I can understand accidents going unpunished but I cant believe that the boys didnt realise what they were doing was wrong.
If they had paint rubbed in their eyes you can bet theyd raise merry hell.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 08:44 am
The James Bulger murder was one of the most sickening crimes that can be imagined.

The two bastards that murdered Jamie, a helpless two year old, who had no chance of defending himself should have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment that reflected the seriousness of what they had done.

If your baby had been abducted and stoned to death on a railway line and the perpertrators served just seven years, would you feel that justice had been served?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 12:51 pm
Don1 wrote:
The James Bulger murder was one of the most sickening crimes that can be imagined.

If your baby had been abducted and stoned to death on a railway line and the perpertrators served just seven years, would you feel that justice had been served?

After those two got out of the Juvenile Detention Center, they wouldn't be around for long.....
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 03:33 pm
Lady J wrote:
Don1 wrote:

After those two got out of the Juvenile Detention Center, they wouldn't be around for long.....

Unfortunately Lady J these two scumbags were given new identities so that no one will ever know who they are, or what they did.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 01:17 am
Don1 wrote:
Lady J wrote:
Don1 wrote:

Unfortunately Lady J these two scumbags were given new identities so that no one will ever know who they are, or what they did.

Damn it!!! As a parent, I would say that I would never again find peace or rest.....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:49 pm
Ten year olds are not adults and cannot be judged as adults.

I think I remember that both boys had been sexually mistreated by an older man in the neighborhood and that they came from disfunctional families.

Should three children be killed?
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 09:52 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Ten year olds are not adults and cannot be judged as adults.

I think I remember that both boys had been sexually mistreated by an older man in the neighborhood and that they came from disfunctional families.

Should three children be killed?

I don't remember these two being abused by an older man in their neighborhood, but even if they were so ******* what? This gives them an excuse to kill a two year old baby??
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:38 am
Should they have been executed?
0 Replies