Saving pictures to jpeg

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 06:25 pm
Very Happy

Im pretty new to computers and all of a sudden Im having a problem when saving apicture. I click on a picture I want to save in my picture file and when the screen pops up it always gets saved as bitmap. I know in order to correct this all I have to do is right click on the picture in my picture file and open in paint and there I can change it to jpeg, but why all of a sudden are they always being saved as bitmap This just started happening ,I used to be able to save a picture right from a site and it would say jpeg right way.Does anyone know how I can fix this, because when I try to save an animated picture it no longer is animated after I have to change it to jpeg in the paint box. I hope this made sense, as I said Im totally new to computers. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Sandie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,650 • Replies: 4
No top replies

silversturm

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 08:38 pm
Re: Saving pictures to jpeg
sandieluvsbears wrote:
I click on a picture I want to save in my picture file and when the screen pops up it always gets saved as bitmap

Is this a right-click, Save Picture As... in Internet Explorer? (what click do you do, and what browser are you using?)

sandieluvsbears wrote:
why all of a sudden are they always being saved as bitmap

Does the save screen that show not allow you to change the save type to jpeg? (using the "Save As Type..." drop-down list box)

Generally Internet Explorer, and other browsers for that matter will save it in the same format as the format it has on the web page (but you can override that with that Save As Type box).

There shouldn't be any reason your browser should be auto-selecting bitmap unless the file on which you clicked is a bitmap (and very few images on the internet are bitmaps).

So honestly I don't know the exact answer without understanding the problem a little better. Let me know if any of this helps Smile
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 12:20 am
I used to have the same problem when I used Internet Explorer and wanted to copy an image. For me all it took was clearing out the cache more often.

BTW, if you would like a freeware graphics program that works with pretty much all image files, try Ifranview and also Photofiltre. Do a search with these exact names. I like Photofiltre the best because it is like Photoshop and PaintShopPro only stripped down for most common tasks. Since you mentioned using Paint, I thought you might like a quick and easy image editor instead.
0 Replies

sandieluvsbears

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 02:36 pm
saving pix to jpeg

Thanks for the response to my question. Let me see if I can explain this better. Yes this is a right click in internet explorer ,I click on the pix to save it in my pix file,and it always says bitmap, now I know that the pix Im saving are not bitmap as I have saved them before(same ones) and they saved as jpeg. This just started happening. Now like I said once they are in my pix file I can then open them in "paint" and change the format but if its an animated pix I then lose all the animation once I change it or resize it.Also someone mentioned cleaning out the cache ,well if that means going to tools and options and clearing cookies I have done this.
Its just irritating I cant figure this out, lol, I thought I was doing so good learning the pc.Im sure its something simple those are the ones that are usually the most difficult. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once again
Thanks you
sandie
0 Replies

silversturm

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 08:04 pm
Darn, nothing is coming to mind ::sorry:: If it doesn't let you change it from bitmap to its real format then that's just plain jacked...jeje. I could be forgetting some IE option to always save as bitmap...but it doesn't ring a bell. I hate to fall back on the ol' virus/reinstall speech because it's generally a naïve diagnosis. I would wait a little more, see if there's any other suggestions before trying anything more drastic.
0 Replies