Assimilation?

maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 05:25 pm
Unless you are infallible, your view of the facts is not the same thing as the facts themselves. Some of the things you state unequivocally as "the factual fact" seem awfully dubious to me.

But I don't claim to have any superior knowledge, so you might be right on some things. But given that you are human, you are probably wrong on other things.

A rational discussion involves accepting the possibility that you could be wrong even about things you are sure are "facts". If you and I can come to an agreement on a set of things we both accept as fact... then we can have a discussion. If you just declare that you are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, not so much.
oralloy

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 05:35 pm
@maxdancona,
I agree that many Muslims are peaceful and good people.

But there are also Muslims who murder anyone who isn't a Muslim.

There are also Muslims who don't harm anyone, but celebrate with glee whenever other Muslims murder innocent people.

There are also Muslims who murder their teenage daughters for going on a date.

There are also Muslims who murder other Muslims who try to convert to a different religion.

There are a lot of Muslims who are a serious problem, and discussion of that problem can't just be swept under the rug because of the Muslims who are good people and aren't a problem.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 05:41 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't claim infallibility. I am willing to discuss claims that I am wrong.

However, such a discussion typically results in proof that I am correct.

In the few cases where I have been wrong, the error has always been about a side issue that did not harm the point that I was making.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 06:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The fact that he is attacking real people

Was that post that covers your "real people" to long for you? The Muslims that believe and act on what ISLAM says, not individuals, is my condemnation of Islam.
And your capability to understand what is written is a real problem.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 07:14 pm
Quote:
The Quran never says to kill innocent people

Quote:
The Truth:
Yes, the Quran never says to kill innocent people. Unfortunately, it does say that people who don't follow Allah's Law are not innocent - even if they are outwardly Muslim... and it does say to kill them.

This is explained in this article: Myth - It is Against Islam to Kill Innocent People

So, if a Muslim apologist asks where the Quran says to kill "innocent people," ask where the Quran states that non-believers are innocent - and, if so, why they are sent to Hell.

Another example of deception by design.

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/games/quran-innocent-people.aspx
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 07:21 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
However, such a discussion typically results in proof that I am correct.

What I have seen in these discussions is that you end up believing that you were proven correct... and so does the other person. I have been in lots of discussions with you here. I have never seen anyone who started out disagreeing with you and ended up accepting that you were correct all along. And I have never seen you convinced by someone else's facts.

Pretty much you and everyone else ends up with "proof" that you were correct all along. So what does that prove?

I am one of the few people on Able2know who has actually lost an argument (where I admitted that the other guy had a point and that my argument was wrong). I am proud of this. There was one time I admitted that Izzy was right (and I was wrong) on a point... he got angry with me for changing my mind to agree with him. I thought that was funny.

I have seen no evidence that your facts are superior (i.e. more factual) than anyone else's. You seem to have a lot of them though.
oralloy

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 07:43 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
What I have seen in these discussions is that you end up believing that you were proven correct... and so does the other person. I have been in lots of discussions with you here. I have never seen anyone who started out disagreeing with you and ended up accepting that you were correct all along.

There are a number of people on a2k who have a severe disconnect with reality.

maxdancona wrote:
And I have never seen you convinced by someone else's facts.

It's happened five times over the years. Each time, I was wrong only on a side issue and not my main point.

maxdancona wrote:
Pretty much you and everyone else ends up with "proof" that you were correct all along. So what does that prove?

It proves that there are a lot of delusional people on a2k.

maxdancona wrote:
I have seen no evidence that your facts are superior (i.e. more factual) than anyone else's.

Facts are facts, and are true of their own accord. If other people claim things that are not true, those claims are not facts.

maxdancona wrote:
You seem to have a lot of them though.

Facts are a great comfort to me.

It appears that the moderators have devoured Pamela Rosa's post before I could challenge it. I've only just begun to do preliminary research to assemble cites to counter the claim. I'm unsure whether to continue my research and eventually rebut the claim even though it is no longer present, or whether I should just let it drop.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 08:07 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Can anyone find the original news story, from "Fox 9 News"

http://www.fox9.com/news/whistleblower-reported-daycare-fraud-and-possible-link-to-terrorism-to-dhs-management
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 09:12 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
Here is an article that challenges claims that different races have different IQ tendencies:
http://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/02/the-unwelcome-revival-of-race-science

Here is an excerpt from this article:
Quote:
Ultimately, race science depends on a third claim: that different IQ averages between population groups have a genetic basis. If this case falls, the whole edifice -- from Ashkenazi exceptionalism to the supposed inevitability of black poverty -- collapses with it.

Before we can properly assess these claims, it is worth looking at the history of IQ testing. The public perception of IQ tests is that they provide a measure of unchanging intelligence, but when we look deeper, a very different picture emerges. Alfred Binet, the modest Frenchman who invented IQ testing in 1904, knew that intelligence was too complex to be expressed in a single number. "Intellectual qualities ... cannot be measured as linear surfaces are measured," he insisted, adding that giving IQ too much significance "may give place to illusions."

But Binet's tests were embraced by Americans who assumed IQ was innate, and used it to inform immigration, segregationist and eugenic policies. Early IQ tests were packed with culturally loaded questions. ("The number of a Kaffir's legs is: 2, 4, 6, 8?" was one of the questions in IQ tests given to US soldiers during the first world war.) Over time, the tests became less skewed and began to prove useful in measuring some forms of mental aptitude. But this tells us nothing about whether scores are mainly the product of genes or of environment. Further information is needed.

One way to test this hypothesis would be to see if you can increase IQ by learning. If so, this would show that education levels, which are purely environmental, affect the scores. It is now well-known that if you practise IQ tests your score will rise, but other forms of study can also help. In 2008, Swiss researchers recruited 70 students and had half of them practise a memory-based computer game. All 35 of these students saw their IQs increase, and those who practised daily, for the full 19 weeks of the trial, showed the most improvement.

Another way to establish the extent to which IQ is determined by nature rather than nurture would be to find identical twins separated at birth and subsequently raised in very different circumstances. But such cases are unusual, and some of the most influential research -- such as the work of the 20th-century English psychologist Cyril Burt, who claimed to have shown that IQ was innate -- has been dubious. (After Burt's death, it was revealed that he had falsified much of his data.)

A genuine twin study was launched by the Minneapolis-based psychologist Thomas Bouchard in 1979, and although he was generously backed by the overtly racist Pioneer Fund, his results make interesting reading. He studied identical twins, who have the same genes, but who were separated close to birth. This allowed him to consider the different contributions that environment and biology played in their development. His idea was that if the twins emerged with the same traits despite being raised in different environments, the main explanation would be genetic.

The problem was that most of his identical twins were adopted into the same kinds of middle-class families. So it was hardly surprising that they ended up with similar IQs. In the relatively few cases where twins were adopted into families of different social classes and education levels, there ended up being huge disparities in IQ -- in one case a 20-point gap; in another, 29 points, or the difference between "dullness" and "superior intelligence" in the parlance of some IQ classifications. In other words, where the environments differed substantially, nurture seems to have been a far more powerful influence than nature on IQ.

But what happens when you move from individuals to whole populations? Could nature still have a role in influencing IQ averages? Perhaps the most significant IQ researcher of the last half century is the New Zealander Jim Flynn. IQ tests are calibrated so that the average IQ of all test subjects at any particular time is 100. In the 1990s, Flynn discovered that each generation of IQ tests had to be more challenging if this average was to be maintained. Projecting back 100 years, he found that average IQ scores measured by current standards would be about 70.

Yet people have not changed genetically since then. Instead, Flynn noted, they have become more exposed to abstract logic, which is the sliver of intelligence that IQ tests measure. Some populations are more exposed to abstraction than others, which is why their average IQ scores differ. Flynn found that the different averages between populations were therefore entirely environmental.

This finding has been reinforced by the changes in average IQ scores observed in some populations. The most rapid has been among Kenyan children -- a rise of 26.3 points in the 14 years between 1984 and 1998, according to one study. The reason has nothing to do with genes. Instead, researchers found that, in the course of half a generation, nutrition, health and parental literacy had improved.

So, what about the Ashkenazis? Since the 2005 University of Utah paper was published, DNA research by other scientists has shown that Ashkenazi Jews are far less genetically isolated than the paper argued. On the claims that Ashkenazi diseases were caused by rapid natural selection, further research has shown that they were caused by a random mutation. And there is no evidence that those carrying the gene variants for these diseases are any more or less intelligent than the rest of the community.

But it was on IQ that the paper's case really floundered. Tests conducted in the first two decades of the 20th century routinely showed Ashkenazi Jewish Americans scoring below average. For example, the IQ tests conducted on American soldiers during the first world war found Nordics scoring well above Jews. Carl Brigham, the Princeton professor who analysed the exam data, wrote: "Our figures ... would rather tend to disprove the popular belief that the Jew is highly intelligent". And yet, by the second world war, Jewish IQ scores were above average.

A similar pattern could be seen from studies of two generations of Mizrahi Jewish children in Israel: the older generation had a mean IQ of 92.8, the younger of 101.3. And it wasn't just a Jewish thing. Chinese Americans recorded average IQ scores of 97 in 1948, and 108.6 in 1990. And the gap between African Americans and white Americans narrowed by 5.5 points between 1972 and 2002.

No one could reasonably claim that there had been genetic changes in the Jewish, Chinese American or African American populations in a generation or two. After reading the University of Utah paper, Harry Ostrer, who headed New York University's human genetics programme, took the opposite view to Steven Pinker: "It's bad science -- not because it's provocative, but because it's bad genetics and bad epidemiology."
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:08 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
It's happened five times over the years. Each time, I was wrong only on a side issue and not my main point.

That's very convenient. It still boils down to neither of you changing your mind in any significant way... and each of you ending up believing they were right all along.

There are lots of people on the internet who are never wrong about the facts in a significant way. It is a little strange that you all don't agree with each other more often.
oralloy

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:20 am
@maxdancona,
There is a significant difference between "me being correct and knowing it" and "a delusional person believing themselves to be correct when they are not".
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:28 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

There is a significant difference between "me being correct and knowing it" and "a delusional person believing themselves to be correct when they are not".

This difference is only in your own mind. This always happens. Two people on the internet both are sure they are correct (and "know it"), and they both think the other person is delusional.

At least fifty percent of the time that someone on the internet is "correct and knows it", they are wrong (and since it is possible that they are both wrong, it is likely more than 50%). And yet, somehow no one is ever wrong on the internet.

Everyone on the internet is correct and knows it. And, everyone thinks that everyone else is delusional.

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:33 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
This difference is only in your own mind.

Wrong. The difference between "people who are correct" and "people who are delusional" exists in reality.

maxdancona wrote:
This always happens. Two people on the internet both are sure they are correct (and "know it"), and they both think the other person is delusional.

At least fifty percent of the time that someone on the internet is "correct and knows it", they are wrong (and since it is possible that they are both wrong, it is likely more than 50%). And yet, somehow no one is ever wrong on the internet.

Everyone on the internet is correct and knows it. And, everyone thinks that everyone else is delusional.

There are indeed many delusional people on the internet.

I'm not one of them.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:47 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Wrong. The difference between "people who are correct" and "people who are delusional" exists in reality.

How is what you are saying different than what a delusional person would say? Delusional people are completely sure they are right... just as you are. Actually, the word "delusional" is your word, not mine... I am only using it because you did

I think you are saying that you are right 100% of the time (except on side issues) and that everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. That is silly (if not delusional).

Humans are fallible. We are correct sometimes and wrong sometimes. Even when we are completely sure we are right, sometimes we are still wrong. Are you a human?

Sorry to break this to you. But you are probably not any more correct than anyone else on the internet.
oralloy

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 07:09 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
How is what you are saying different than what a delusional person would say?

There is the small matter of me not being delusional and being actually correct about what I post.

maxdancona wrote:
I think you are saying that you are right 100% of the time (except on side issues) and that everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. That is silly (if not delusional).

Not silly since that is my actual track record.

maxdancona wrote:
Humans are fallible. We are correct sometimes and wrong sometimes. Even when we are completely sure we are right, sometimes we are still wrong. Are you a human?

I am human. But I am extremely intelligent, and if I am interested enough in a subject to post about it on the internet, I will have already taken the time to become well-informed about that subject before posting about it.

maxdancona wrote:
Sorry to break this to you. But you are probably not any more correct than anyone else on the internet.

The odds that I will be wrong about something that I post on the internet are comparable to the odds that a college professor will be wrong about a subject that they have a PhD in.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 07:19 am
@oralloy,
You are being silly, Oralloy. You have your 100% track record of always being proven correct because you are judging yourself. Is there anyone else who can vouch for your exceptional brilliance?

This idle boasting about how incredibly intelligent you are so you are never wrong is a little much, don't you think?

It takes intelligence, and maturity, to be able to accept your own fallibility. The truly intelligent people I have met do just that.

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 07:51 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
You are being silly, Oralloy.

Hardly silly for me to point out the truth.

maxdancona wrote:
You have your 100% track record of always being proven correct because you are judging yourself.

There is the small matter of me actually being correct.

maxdancona wrote:
Is there anyone else who can vouch for your exceptional brilliance?

Perhaps not online. People in real life have tended to recognize it.

maxdancona wrote:
This idle boasting about how incredibly intelligent you are so you are never wrong is a little much, don't you think?

Is it idle boasting when I am merely responding to untrue claims about me?

At any rate, it is reasonable for me to respond truthfully when untrue claims are made about me.

maxdancona wrote:
It takes intelligence, and maturity, to be able to accept your own fallibility. The truly intelligent people I have met do just that.

I have acknowledged the circumstances where I have been wrong before.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 07:59 am
@oralloy,
There is no difference between what you are saying, and what a delusional person would say.
oralloy

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 08:05 am
@maxdancona,
There is the small matter of me not being delusional and actually being correct.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 10:02 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
There is the small matter of me not being delusional and actually being correct.

There are millions of people on the internet all saying that they are 100% correct on anything important. If that were true, you would all agree with each other.

I am not saying that you are "delusional" in the sense that you have no connection with reality... and I remind anyone reading that it was you who brought this word into the discussion...

But for you to continually assert that you are never wrong in any substantive way, that seems like a delusion. Humans have biases, flaws and we make mistakes. If you are human then that includes you.

Sorry.

1. Forums
  2. » Assimilation?
  3. » Page 5
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:33:37