Anyone answer this stinker?

Don1

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:21 am
A 1930s film about a real-life American character was directed by a director whose surname was the same as the real surname of the star actress who played the eponymous lead in the film. What is the title of this film?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 606 • Replies: 2
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 08:06 am
I have no idea but this looks promising:

Marked Woman (1937), 99 minutes, D: Lloyd Bacon
An urban melodrama, based on the real-life story of NYC vice lord Charles "Lucky" Luciano. It is the story of a nightclub hostess ("prostitute") Mary Dwight (Bette Davis), who works at the Club Intime, owned and operated by a notorious gangster Johnny Vanning (Edward Ciannelli). Special prosecutor, district attorney David Graham (Humphrey Bogart) tries to convince Mary to testify against her crooked boss - first for murdering one of the debt-owing customers Ralph Krawford (Damian O'Flynn) and then for killing her innocent sister Betty (Jane Bryan). To threaten and scare her, Vanning scars Mary's face, making her a "marked woman." This convinces her to finally testify in court with other hostesses to convict him.

Here is a good site for 1930 films: http://www.filmsite.org/30sintro.html
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 09:27 am
Thanks boomerang, someone on another site has suggested the real life person might be Annie Oakley so I have plenty to sift through, if I find out one way or the other I'll let you know.
0 Replies