wireless networks

COXY1

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:54 am
hello everyone hope your all well!
heres the facts:
I have a xp pro laptop that is used mainly from home so is not a member of my office networks domain. However when logging in to its own personal workgroup it connects to the network at my office through a wireless link. I know that it is talking to the network because it acceses the internet through the network router, however i would like the laptop to see printers on the network, is this possible??????????

cheers

be lucky
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 532 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 04:17 pm
It's possible but it would depend on how the network is setup and how the printers are connected and configured in the network.

First you have to figure out if the network you are connecting to is the same network that the printers are on. If they are on a secured portion behind a firewall you probably won't be able to connect. If they are on the same unsecured network the network tech at your ofice should be slapped silly but...

If they are networked just using TCP/IP you probably wouldn't have any problem connecting. All you'd need is the IP address of the printer. You then run the new printer configuration routine in XP and when it asks for the printer's name put in it's IP addy.

If the printers only use Windows networking you won't be able to connect to them at all.
0 Replies