6

Please need help!!

Reply Sat 5 May, 2018 06:14 am
Im writing a book but im confused on one thing on my book theres one page when girl is telling her story and on the other page the boy is telling his story you can say they are telling their story turn by turn i made a blue line on the top of page for boy and pink line for girl so that reader will know that who's telling the story on that page. Now the question is that how can i tell readers this instruction, should i mention that on first page of the book that when theres blue line on top of the page this means that this is a boy telling his story. Can you give my any idea that how should i make it clear for readers to understand. Thanks alot!!!

Blickers

1  
Reply Sat 5 May, 2018 07:46 am
@Someonesissue,
Though I've never written anything, just to clarify I must ask: Is this book fiction or nonfiction? Because if it's nonfiction instructions are going to be a lot easier to fit in.

1  
Reply Sat 5 May, 2018 07:54 am
@Someonesissue,
Please don't do this. Most of the time, the print will be in black, whether on Wattpad or published on KDP or elsewhere.

Clue the reader in with your prose. Make the characters distinguishable and you will never need to color-code a thing.

Someonesissue

-1  
Reply Sat 5 May, 2018 07:55 am
@Blickers,
It is non fiction. :-)
mark noble

-1  
Reply Sat 5 May, 2018 08:13 am
@Someonesissue,
Rule No1 - SHOW, don't TELL.

Blickers

1  
Reply Sat 5 May, 2018 08:18 am
@Someonesissue,
The fact that the book is nonfiction makes giving an instruction less jarring. I haven't written anything, but it seems to me that you can preface the first page in which you're doing this opposing passages effect with "Tarzan in blue, Jane in pink" or whatever the names are.

An alternative might be to use a different font for each character instead of different colors. Both fonts should be visibly different from the standard font you use for rest of the book to avoid giving one character the imprimatur of using the standard font, thereby making the other character seem off-beat. Unless that is the effect you want to convey.
Roberta

2  
Reply Sat 5 May, 2018 05:35 pm
@Blickers,
If you are hoping to have the book published, I doubt that any publisher would pay the extra money to print a book in three colors (black, blue, and pink). This would require a four-color press, which is costly. There are no three-color presses. This will be expensive and hardly worth the trouble. Find another device to distinguish between male and female.

Edit: Just had a thought. What about different typefaces. Ital for one and sans serif for the other. Or something like this.

1  
Reply Sat 5 May, 2018 06:30 pm
@Roberta,
I just hate long italic passages. Some authors do it for flashbacks, and the like. A different typeface would work much better, like Times Roman for present, and Garamond for prior events. In fact, could you persuade them to put the oldest parts at the beginning and the latest part at the end? I have to tell you, I was unable to finish The Sound and Fury for just that reason.

1  
Reply Sat 5 May, 2018 06:40 pm
@roger,
I agree about italics. I have always hated to read long passages using that.
Region Philbis

1  
Reply Sat 5 May, 2018 06:54 pm
@edgarblythe,

agreed, italics should only be used sparingly...

Roberta

3  
Reply Sun 6 May, 2018 03:07 am
If you don't want to use italics, then find some other way. Sans serif and small caps. Don't use color. If you want to be published, you'll have to change the color to something else.