Please need help!!

Sat 5 May, 2018 06:14 am
Im writing a book but im confused on one thing on my book theres one page when girl is telling her story and on the other page the boy is telling his story you can say they are telling their story turn by turn i made a blue line on the top of page for boy and pink line for girl so that reader will know that who's telling the story on that page. Now the question is that how can i tell readers this instruction, should i mention that on first page of the book that when theres blue line on top of the page this means that this is a boy telling his story. Can you give my any idea that how should i make it clear for readers to understand. Thanks alot!!!

Blickers

Sat 5 May, 2018 07:46 am
@Someonesissue,
Though I've never written anything, just to clarify I must ask: Is this book fiction or nonfiction? Because if it's nonfiction instructions are going to be a lot easier to fit in.
jespah

Sat 5 May, 2018 07:54 am
@Someonesissue,
Please don't do this. Most of the time, the print will be in black, whether on Wattpad or published on KDP or elsewhere.

Clue the reader in with your prose. Make the characters distinguishable and you will never need to color-code a thing.
0 Replies

Someonesissue

Sat 5 May, 2018 07:55 am
@Blickers,
It is non fiction. :-)
mark noble

Sat 5 May, 2018 08:13 am
@Someonesissue,
Rule No1 - SHOW, don't TELL.

Blickers

Sat 5 May, 2018 08:18 am
@Someonesissue,
The fact that the book is nonfiction makes giving an instruction less jarring. I haven't written anything, but it seems to me that you can preface the first page in which you're doing this opposing passages effect with "Tarzan in blue, Jane in pink" or whatever the names are.

An alternative might be to use a different font for each character instead of different colors. Both fonts should be visibly different from the standard font you use for rest of the book to avoid giving one character the imprimatur of using the standard font, thereby making the other character seem off-beat. Unless that is the effect you want to convey.
Roberta

Sat 5 May, 2018 05:35 pm
@Blickers,
If you are hoping to have the book published, I doubt that any publisher would pay the extra money to print a book in three colors (black, blue, and pink). This would require a four-color press, which is costly. There are no three-color presses. This will be expensive and hardly worth the trouble. Find another device to distinguish between male and female.

Edit: Just had a thought. What about different typefaces. Ital for one and sans serif for the other. Or something like this.
roger

Sat 5 May, 2018 06:30 pm
@Roberta,
I just hate long italic passages. Some authors do it for flashbacks, and the like. A different typeface would work much better, like Times Roman for present, and Garamond for prior events. In fact, could you persuade them to put the oldest parts at the beginning and the latest part at the end? I have to tell you, I was unable to finish The Sound and Fury for just that reason.
edgarblythe

Sat 5 May, 2018 06:40 pm
@roger,
I agree about italics. I have always hated to read long passages using that.
Region Philbis

Sat 5 May, 2018 06:54 pm
@edgarblythe,

agreed, italics should only be used sparingly...
0 Replies

Roberta

Sun 6 May, 2018 03:07 am
If you don't want to use italics, then find some other way. Sans serif and small caps. Don't use color. If you want to be published, you'll have to change the color to something else.
0 Replies

Sakr

Tue 31 Mar, 2020 08:45 am
@Someonesissue,
what have you done so far bro? so I can help You
0 Replies

mark noble

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 11:58 am
@mark noble,
Rule No2 - Don't care whether the poster, of a thread, returns to acknowledge your offerings - Just assume they wont - And make the most of its shiveringly pointless, precepts, and keep responding, regardless as to whether it matters to other than yourself.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 12:32 pm
@Someonesissue,
I have a book that did something similar. There was a rather important main character (although he was introduced in the final third of the book). Any time he spoke, his words were in red.

I think it is a little distracting. The color indicates the divinity of this character (who is referred to in the text as the "Son of God"). It does have an impact on the reader.
mark noble

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 12:42 pm
@maxdancona,
You talking about David Icke, Max?
0 Replies

ElsieVasquez

Fri 12 Feb, 2021 08:05 am
@Someonesissue,
It's actually brilliant. It is best to immediately make an introduction on the first page of the book and warn about the format of the book. So the reader will understand, although you can also try to leave the intrigue for the reader to guess. I recently read Yellow Wallpaper and I was shocked by the plot, I even wanted to study the character of the heroine deeper and I wrote an essay with the help of a good resource, where I found many good examples and I can say that many women continue to live within the four walls of their homes and do not develop, which leads to various psychological disorders. the book shows how important it is to leave the four walls and live life to the fullest. I am very impressed with the concept of a first-person book and I would love to read your book.
0 Replies