Is the theory behind 'The Da Vinci Code' fact or fiction?

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:54 pm
I thought it was a great book too. Angels and Demons was a little slow but DaVinci was good.
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:09 pm
Thank you Bella, at least some of us have taste, and may i point out that my profile has recently been updated with a few personal tidbits, no comments necessary, unless positive. I agree with Bella, the book rocks!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 02:10 pm
A gay skiver. That beats all. Welcome to A2K

I spent 2 lovely years nestled in Glamorgan County.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 02:14 pm
I've been grappling with "Foucalt's Pendulum" for 2 years now; a similar type book by Umberto Eco. I'll admit Brown writes a breezy tale in the best tradition of breezy tale writers.
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 02:20 pm
I haven't heard of that book, I'll give it a try! So you're located in Florida, beats Glamorgan i bet! Breezy tale, yes, but one hell of a breezy tale at that! I seem obsessed with this book, but i assure you i am perfectly sane and unobsessed with anything.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 02:20 pm
wales_rules wrote:
You are joking, aren't you? Ok i admit it takes a while to get going but that book is an incredible read, especially when you reach Chapter42! Oh great now i forgot what i was gonna say! Oh yes, i was gonna ask if you thought my shooting blanks theory was right, can you imagine, God's son a Jaffa!

I thought your comment about shooting blanks was hilarious!
Hmm Jaffa, another stargate fan I presume? ;-)
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 02:23 pm
Nope actually i was refering to a Jaffa cake. It's part of the shooting blanks joke. As Jaffa cakes are seedless, get it? No? Oh well it was worth a try! Stargate, unfortunately, has not crossed my path of interests.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 02:26 pm
wales_rules wrote:
I'll give it a try!

Good luck! It'll expand your intellect 200%. But you gotta look stuff up if you don't understand it.
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 02:29 pm
My intellect is perfectly able to cope on it's own thank you pan! It's not my fault you're 'grappling' isn't up to scratch.
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 02:54 pm
Hey pan! Sorry dude! You're right, my partner has read that book, he just handed me a copy! Jesus, believe me I haven't got the patience to finish a book like that i read the first chapter and i was back and forth the dictionary non-stop! Well i gotta go now, got some 'grappling' of my own to do! If any of you guyz are on 2moro i shall talk to you then! TTFN!
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 04:23 pm
*smiles*
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:23 am
Wales, I haven't read the DaVinci code, but I shall follow your thread with interest.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:26 am
Our household of 5 people has 3 copies of the book.

Dont worry about it not grasping you from the beginning,I stopped for about 3 weeks a third of the way through.If id read the main revelation sooner I wouldnt have put it down..

-Shewolfmn-You say Jesus is a name meaning group of people-Maybe that refers to the 12 disciples who feature in Jesus's life.Maybe Jesus was the name given to the group of them and over the years it has been enterpreted into it being 1 person.

Also,what proof is there that the Bibles stories are true?
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:34 am
Material girl, I think you may have got it with the disciples theory! Well done! And the Bible stories are not true, they are actually metaphors of what Jesus did. He didn't actually walk on water, he 'metaphorically' walked on water!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 08:34 am
That is a great point material girl!!
That could be precisely true.
My take on the bible stories is this...
And, I am ASSUMING that it was written when it claims to have been, ( noone was there so they cant prove that either, but for the sake of my point.. I will assume.. )
2000 years of people reading and re-reading this 'book', having it passed from one language to another, and ultimatly being ' translated' by HUMANS during this passing on of the story we dont know if there is ANY truth left.
From a very basic stand point, one word inone language may mean something entirely diffrent in thenext language and so on.. So it is left up to the person who is reading it to ' make it understandable ' in thier language.. wich usually means shifting of words, meanings etc.
Now that sounds like a small change. And you would think that it wouldnt be that big of an effect. TRUE. If it only happend once. This is 2000 years worth of just that.
Humans also MAKE MISTAKES ( gasp... fathom that!) and with religion comes a sence of control, that sence of control clouds some peoples judgement. And for all we know, tha thappened many times and they story has been altered.
I personally think it is silly, and quite strange, if someone truly believes the bible is the same after 2000 years. Not hardly.
You can prove this 2 ways. In school there was an experiment in our social science classes and again later in social anthropolgy.
Everyone was sat in a circle and one person was whispered a statement to be passed on to the next JUST AS THEY HEARD IT. With in 33 students, it was diffrent by the time it reached the end of the circle and was to be announced. This is a very compact example.. but an example none the less.
Second way to prove this is to go listen to a preacher , or a minister giving a sermon. They pull a passage that in thier eyes fits what they want to teach. Take out of it what works and forgets the passages before and sometimes after the single one they choose.
They read it , and then openly 'interpurate ' it..
hmm.
Not saying this is bad, just making a point.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 08:46 am
Shewolfmn and Wales Rules-Thank you very much.I dont often have the chance to feel clever so Im gona sit here a wallow in it for as long as possible!!

I completely agree with you Shewolfman.
If you took away people would God/Jesus still exsist?!
Its all in our heads and made up to control us.I reckon we are our own Gods.Its our conscience we are talking to when we pray.

I have to say,Im not against the Bible.The idea of there being a 'higher power' is quite cool but to go as far as live your life by something that has no solid grounds is hard to adopt.
The fact that Jesus was Jewish and people invented a new religion to worship him shows how flexible and wishy washy religion can be.
If you want to honour Jesus you should become Jewish.

Surely there is more evidence to proove the exsistence of the Loch Ness monster than of God/Jesus.
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:04 am
Indeed, material girl! Religion is also quite hypercritical! One of the many laws of Christianity is treat everyone equally, however Christianity has, for 100's of years, been destroying the idea of a Godess! Think of Ying/Yang, for every male there is a female, if God is male, where's the Godess?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:17 am
Christianity is a patriarchal religion, make no mistake about that.
0 Replies

wales rules

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:27 am
Hi pan, glad you could join us! That is true it most certainly is a patriarchal religion, what I fail to understand, however, is why would such a prominent religion hide so many facts about itself? May I also take this opportunity to advertise my new forum ''General Chat'' in the ''General'' section of this site, any replies or views are gladly welcome!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:34 am
The goddess is right here schweetie.
Make no mistake. ;-)
hehe
0 Replies