Vision China----A small town

J-B

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:10 pm
Piffka: I have finally seen your pups despite the connection trouble. Not hard to imagine why you love them too Smile

Material Girl: Yes Olympics, and isn't it that UK is competing for the 2012 Olympics? Smile
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:14 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/RobertWoo/bricks.jpg

bricks for house construction, firewood for cooking.

The brick houses have lost the tasteful flavor of the "medieval" architectures. And liquified gas or natural gas still remains a luxury in rural China, or maybe they are unnecessary.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 12:59 am
I am not so sure how the last picture - which I am glad to see -
makes clear re bricks and energy - re how it happens.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:16 am
Yep, we are bidding for the 2012 Olympics.It would be great if we got it.We need a serious injection of sport life over here.
Our media seems to be dominated by 'celebrities' and how there lives are the best and we should strive to be like them but I think since Kelly Holmes won her gold medals there is a sense of pride in the air about our sporting achievments and we'd like to host the Olympics.
Also youngsters over here are considered overweight and there are worries about health, so I think hosting the Olympics will efect children so positively they would get into sports instead of wanting to be a singer or actor.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:44 pm
Material Girl: I cannot imagine that UK would be like that - it seems so glamourous...but this is someone who has been in Oz for 16 years now so I don't know the real facts... Embarrassed

I think its France and UK who are bidding seriously...I really don't care which city gets it, so long as the bejing olympics go smoothly and well in 2008 and the 2012 olympics are held in a european city. Then, I have two excuses to go to two places - Razz

Do you mind saying which part of UK you live in? I am interested in the universities there - any info?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 10:13 am
^JB^ wrote:
bricks for house construction, firewood for cooking.

The brick houses have lost the tasteful flavor of the "medieval" architectures. And liquified gas or natural gas still remains a luxury in rural China, or maybe they are unnecessary.

The building in the back... is that a house? It seems so small.

I think medieval architecture anywhere has a special feel to it. Most of those buildings & gardens that I have seen (online) in China are gems. However... it is nice to have instant heat or fire, as gas provides. Burning wood causes air pollution.

I like the way the top bricks on that pile have been laid in a tilted fashion.

(Glad you liked my doglets. Chows are strange creatures... all dog but almost half cat. Wink Are there many Chows left in China?)

Interesting talk of the Olympics. I love to watch them. I think it is great to have them in different places -- it can really improve a place, like Spain, where all those wonderful highways were built. My favorite Olympics are those of the summer.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 09:04 pm
I have learnt a new word: chow Smile
After I have googled out its image:
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/fun/postcards/breedpostcards/Dogs/chow.jpg

I dare respond to you that: No, they are rare.
sad thing... Confused
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 07:48 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/RobertWoo/duckk.jpg

Ducks are recognised as symbol of Southeastern China.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:43 am
I'm sorry to hear that Chow Chow are no longer common in China. They are wonderful companion dogs with big personalities. I guess they were all eaten up?? Crying or Very sad

Interesting about the ducks. Are they just for food or do people eat their eggs... or what? In your photograph it appears there is pole fencing around parts of the pond (lake? river?) What does the pole fencing do?

I'm wondering... it is silly, but do you know the children's book -- The Story About Ping?

Ping is a little duck who lives on the Yangtze River and has some adventures when he decides not to come back to his home (a boat with two wise eyes) because he will be the last in line and the last duck always gets a spank. My kids LOVED that story when they were little. It was their introduction to China. We still laugh about the last one through the door (usually our red dog, Penny) who gets a little "Ping" spank for being so slow. Very Happy I gues we should have named her Ping.
0 Replies

drowler

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 02:58 pm
Shoot i never sin a dorg thet lookd lik thet one dus
he sur looks like hes a lion mor'n a dorg. My brother drowl he got a frien Taylor an he got one o them big german shepherd dogs, hed to get ma book out to spell thet. anyhow it sure scares me n we cant hev a dog on the trailer park cos its agin the rules.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:08 am
Piffka wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that Chow Chow are no longer common in China. They are wonderful companion dogs with big personalities. I guess they were all eaten up?? Crying or Very sad

Interesting about the ducks. Are they just for food or do people eat their eggs... or what? In your photograph it appears there is pole fencing around parts of the pond (lake? river?) What does the pole fencing do?

I'm wondering... it is silly, but do you know the children's book -- The Story About Ping?

Ping is a little duck who lives on the Yangtze River and has some adventures when he decides not to come back to his home (a boat with two wise eyes) because he will be the last in line and the last duck always gets a spank. My kids LOVED that story when they were little. It was their introduction to China. We still laugh about the last one through the door (usually our red dog, Penny) who gets a little "Ping" spank for being so slow. Very Happy I gues we should have named her Ping.

I promise that I have never seen a dog right like the "Chow". Maybe they evolved into another shape? What I AM sure is though people like to eat dogs, they won't eat up all the doggs. :wink:

People keep ducks..I think either for eat or for eggs. I can't imagine they have the interest to raise animals if they couldn't bring back any benefit. Sad thing, but true Confused

PING, really new to me, honestly I have never heard of it before. IT is a fairy tale? It must be interesting seems you said "It was their introduction to China". What kind of China will emerge after reading it? Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:41 am
What kind of China will emerge from reading "The Story About Ping"? Well, it is a children's book, but not a fairy tale, and not at all deep. It is the adventures of a little duck who, as I said, decides not to go home since he will get a spank as the last duck in line. The moral of the story is facing up to one's responsibilities even if it means getting into trouble.

My children were entranced with the story for several reasons. Ping lived on a boat with Wise Eyes... so we talked about painting eyes on a boat and why someone might do that -- anthropomorphizing the boat as a protector. The little boy who captures Ping used an ingenious basket, which amazed my children -- they were used to thinking of baskets as something just for holding flowers. A basket for a duck?????

Let's see... they learned that some Chinese people live on boats all the time and that the Yangtze River is very, very big. They learned that people are alike around the world, even if they live in different ways. There was camaraderie and concern for Ping and rejoicing when he finally returns (now I've spoiled the ending for you! Wink). There is no mention of him getting eaten by his family. Very Happy That is sort of glossed over, though I'm pretty sure the little boy who catches him in the basket is planning on a duck dinner. I don't have the book in hand, so I can't remember much more about it. It s a classic children's story though, so I imagine many people with children here will have read it to their kids. I remember my daughter desperately wanted a duck after that. Very Happy She got chickens instead which she loved very much. If I can find that book again (it was put away to be saved for my children's children and is probably in the storeroom somewhere), I will copy out the words so you know what it was all about.

As for the Chow Chow. I am surprised there are none at all left in China since they are very, very cool dogs. Of course, *I* would think that!

You are right that they evolved into another shape. <so clever of you> The very heavy muzzles of the modern chow is something that has been bred into them since they first appeared in England and is especially pronounced in male dogs. My dogs are both females (they were sisters, remember?) and are not show dogs. Just as well --I don't like that look and in all the earliest photographs and depictions of the female chows they are not like that and look more like more "girls." The most noticable characteristic of Chows is their blue-black tongue. It is quite distinctive.

I have read that Chow dogs were called "Foreign Dogs" in China and may have been brought by the people from the steppes of Mongolia. The "Fu Dogs" or protector dog statues are supposed to be Chow Chows. There is a silk scroll from around 950AD called "The Palace Concert" that shows several ladies sitting at a table with a chow dog sleeping underneath the table exactly as my dogs do and looking a lot like mine. I have this in a book and could probably scan it and show it to you if you are very interested.

I apologize for going on about this -- I don't mean to be usurping your wonderful thread with tales of ducks & dogs. (That's a joke, get it? Tales... tails??) I enjoy your photographs very much and look forward to more ^JB^ views of China.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 04:55 am
There is definitely no need for any apology. In fact I am really enjoying in your duck&dog stories Very Happy And they have made my topic more vivid Razz
Thanks Piffka Smile
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:23 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/RobertWoo/vege.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/RobertWoo/vegee.jpg

People won't give up a single patch of soil for growing vegetables :wink:
Be careful: The three-floor house at the back of the second picture is my grandparents'.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 07:53 am
Brrrr.. those plants look cold even though they are growing so well. Were these photos taken recently?

Is that your grandparent's garden in the second photo?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 04:49 am
they were taken in January. As I said some of my photos were taken during the Spring Festival holiday.

They are not my grandparents'. Actually they only have interests in horticulture, not agriculture Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:02 am
Glad to hear it is not still so cold in China.

As for the difference between horticulture & agriculture... I think I see. Flowers, you mean?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:28 am
Yes, I have made a confusion?
In my opinion. Agriculture is about plants which mankind feeds on. Horticulture is about plants of beauty.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:48 am
Hi ^JB^ -- you've got it right! Your grandparents are interested in the art of ornamental plants. Horticulture also includes growing personal gardens of vegetables though (that's where I was confused).

I was a little surprised to see that agriculture also includes "growing" animals! Very Happy

Here's what the dictionary says:

hor·ti·cul·ture
The science or art of cultivating fruits, vegetables, flowers, or ornamental plants.
The cultivation of a garden.

ag·ri·cul·ture
The science, art, and business of cultivating soil, producing crops, and raising livestock; farming.

Cheers
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:34 am
That is really interesting.

I think I'd rather not to use the word "horticulture", just "gardening" is OK. Yes they grow the plants just for ornamental use. Smile
0 Replies