cicerone imposter

Thu 3 May, 2018 11:51 am
@izzythepush,
Of course, I had female friends, but it was within a group social gathering or it was on a date. We had dances at some social halls or at the auditorium at the Buddhist or Methodist Church in Sacramento. I even worked as a disk jockey at some of them.
When I was in the USAF stationed in Morocco back in the late 1950's, I dated women in Tangiers, Spain and England.
maxdancona

Thu 3 May, 2018 09:28 pm
@balloonfight,
Well we disagree in many ways.

1. Your slogan; "life isn't fair" is meaningless. It can be used to justify anything including (as you suggested) sawing off someone's legs so you can win a race. Let's be blunt.

2. My preference would be that my children have advantages over other people's children. Of course, if other people's children had advantages over my children, I would be upset. Having a level playing field seems like the right way to resolve this problem. The question is what this means.

3. I happen to be White and male with a good job. I have political power, and can impact policy; particularly in my local community. If a teacher yells at my kids in way I don't feel is justified, there are ways that I can rectify the situation. My sense of right and wrong makes me feel like I should look out for other kids, even if their parents don't have the standing or power that I have. If something doesn't strike me as "right", I speak up about it. Whether this is "fair" or not doesn't matter (as I pointed out above).

3. Life will never be perfect, but there are ways to make it better. We can talk about what this means. But this is my country, and I have a voice. Again, if you don't think this is fair... it still doesn't matter.

4. I hate ideological bubbles. Most Americans are either conservatives who hate liberal ideas, or liberals who hate conservative ideas. Every marches in lock step without thinking for themselves.

When you attack "the liberal left" and "Marxists" in a general sense without any rational discussion of individual idease, you show a lack of critical thought.

Intellectual independence, the ability to objectively judge an idea without regard to political ideology is a good thing, and sadly most people sit at the extreme and spend their time lobbing these mindless attacks at each other without ever listening, considering or thinking.

I call out what I see as bullshit from both sides. And I will accept ideas that make sense from either.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 3 May, 2018 09:47 pm
In general, Scouting worldwide is co-op. I am a long time Scouter (Eagle in fact) and I have no problem with Boy Scouts becoming Scouts. Girl Scouts does not offer the same opportunities as Boy Scouts does. It's a sign of the times and a sign of the dwindling number of participants. Scout Troops everywhere are feeling the effect of the decreased number of boys participating.

It's about time.
roger

Thu 3 May, 2018 09:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Well, when I'm around women, I do admit to looking them over.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 3 May, 2018 10:49 pm
@McGentrix,
I'm sure you're correct about the decline in the Boy Scouts. It's too bad, because when our boys were young, and we lived in Naperville, Illinois, they had a program for children, I think it was called "pioneers" or something like it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Fri 4 May, 2018 06:58 am
@McGentrix,
I was a boy scout for a few weeks. I got a badge for being able to identify different types of trees. Then I got bored and quite.

Then I started going to a "scouting" group that was focused careers. A local computer business started a group for kids who liked computers. The group didn't last too long... I don't think there were enough interested kids, but for me it turned into a great job for a teenager (not many teens land programming jobs).

The computer world is still overwhelming male. There is no reason that it should be this way.

farmerman

Fri 4 May, 2018 06:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Kind of a dumb name really. It sorta goes without saying unless youre raising and training sled dogs. I get the stated wish but giving the organization such a Monty Python name, it sounds more like "ministry of Silly Walks".
Too bad they let such stuff up to committees.
roger

Fri 4 May, 2018 08:34 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah. Good idea; dumb name.
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 9 May, 2018 09:44 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Nobody got upset because we don't have anyone whose masculinity is so fragile that something as harmless as letting girls join the scouts could threaten it.

NAILED IT!
maxdancona

Wed 9 May, 2018 09:54 am
@maporsche,
The funny thing is that it is the Girl Scouts who are upset by this.

Quote:
"Girl Scouts is, and will continue to be, the best leadership development organization designed to help girls learn to be leaders in today’s world. We are disappointed with Boy Scouts’ decision, not because they are a new competitor, but because this competitor cannot meet the needs of today’s girls,

Apparently feminism is being threatened by inclusion. Masculinity doesn't really care.

Of course, this isn't that surprising... feminism is threatened by pretty much anything.
maporsche

Wed 9 May, 2018 09:57 am
Life will never be equal or fair. That's a fact.

However, when we identify areas where we desire things to be more fair we should allow for that.

We definitely shouldn't institutionalize unfairness in society.

Some people will always be better at somethings than others, and the best of the best will be championed and celebrated (as they should be), but that doesn't mean that kids who have no legs shouldn't be allowed to participate to whatever degree they can in track meets (for example).

It's easy to forget, but we are all people and generally we are kind to each other and try to make each other happy. Almost all of our religions teach this and it's pretty innate in our culture.
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 9 May, 2018 09:58 am
@maxdancona,
Well, not only the girl scouts are upset obviously.

I don't know that the girl scouts represent all of feminism. That's a very broad brush you're using.
maporsche

Wed 9 May, 2018 10:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Of course, I had female friends, but it was within a group social gathering or it was on a date.

You do realize that your generation (in general) was pretty bad about how women were treated like second class citizens right?

Maybe your way of doing things needs to change, as our culture has.
maxdancona

Wed 9 May, 2018 10:02 am
@maporsche,
I am not upset. I would prefer that my daughter join an inclusive scouting group. But, that is her decision. She is in Girl Scouts now, but that is just because her friends are there. She says that she doesn't see any benefit to gender segregation. She knows my opinion and makes up her own mind.

You are correct about the broad brush... but everyone here is painting with a broad brush. When is the last time you have seen masculinity used in a positive sense.
maporsche

Wed 9 May, 2018 10:03 am
@maxdancona,
I didn't mean to suggest that you were upset, but rather the OP who started the thread.

I've seen a lot of angry guys online about this change, not just the girl scouts organization.
maxdancona

Wed 9 May, 2018 10:04 am
@maporsche,
You have seen angry people posting online? What a surprise.
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 9 May, 2018 10:12 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
When is the last time you have seen masculinity used in a positive sense.

I get that this is a big issue for you. I don't know if you've taken the red pill or maybe even considered joining the MGTOW or UnCell movements. I hope your discussions on this topic make you happy and bring you some joy.

It's not something I have the least bit interest in. I don't perceive it to be a problem, in the slightest. From where I sit, as a middle class white guy, there is nothing that appears to be challenging my unearned position of influence in this country.

Not saying that everything is perfect, and I'd be happy to address any specific issue, but the issue of 'masculinity" being attacked or "feminism" taking over is a non-issue to me.

To me, it's akin to arguing about whether the earth is flat.
maporsche

Wed 9 May, 2018 10:42 am
@maporsche,
I would be interested in your thoughts on any of the topics covered by this web site's "constitution".

https://illimitablemen.com/understanding-the-red-pill/red-pill-constitution/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 9 May, 2018 10:53 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
You do realize that your generation (in general) was pretty bad about how women were treated like second class citizens right?

I don't know how you came to this conclusion, unless you and your peers are guilty of it.
During my young teenage years, I was somewhat shy with girls, but did date a few times. On my very first date, I took her to the Crest theater which was relatively new in Sacramento. Her father owned a movie theater, called Lincoln. As I got older, I even took a girl to San Francisco on a date to see a comedian on Broadway. This was in the early 1950's. I didn't dare treat anyone badly. In our generation, our teenage years were really innocent times.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 9 May, 2018 11:36 am
@maporsche,
I reject the extremes of both sides. One extreme seems to have taken over Able2Know. It isn't the Red Pill people. I don't mind poking at them.

If people here Red Pill guys rather than Feminist guys, I would poke at them the same.