Printer Recommendations - Personal Use

Sugar

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:00 am
Does anyone have a printer they love or are looking at buying? I need a desktop printer for my own home use. I would like one that prints very good quality photos, is reasonably priced and quick - in that order. Willing to give up speed for print quality and pay a little more.

Apart from documents, I will be using it to print out scanned material - photos and otherwise. I do not have a digital camera so compatibility with a digital camera is not my main focus although it may be in the future.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,029 • Replies: 4
No top replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:48 pm
I'm also looking into buying a printer with the same functions as you're looking for, so I'm looking forward to seeing the responses. Sorry I can't help Sugar.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 07:04 pm
Although photographic in nature myself, I still prefer HP's for the variables in all of the above...scanned, docs, speed, etc.
I purchased an Epson a few years back for a pretty penny <okay..modest really at 400.00>, and the darn thing is now sitting in a box in storage. If I was to purchase a printer strictly for high quality photography alone, I would go for the Epson that sells at about 2K.
Canons are unreliable and basically junk, IMO.
Ive heard people enjoy Lexmarks but, Ive never had one so cant give you my opinion on it although, I wouldnt buy one...Id take one for free though Wink Comparing that to the Canon...I wouldnt take one of those for free...well, unless you go to the high end, then Id sell it and get an Epson.
See where Im going with this?
HPs seem to be the powerhorse with all the stuff you want/need for personal desktop use, they are dependable, and affordable.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 07:09 pm
I have an Epson Stylus color 740, and love it. Was cheap, but bought it at the same time as the computer and I think there was some sort of a deal involved. I believe it was $150, though. I've used it for printing cards, etc., and am quite satisfied with the results. For photos, it does a good job as long as you have the right paper. You wouldn't mistake the results for a "real" photo, but it works quite decently, especially for the money.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 07:34 pm
The Epson 740 wins out in most of the side-by-side comparisons I've seen in magazines as far as print quality goes. The inkjets are all pretty cheap nowadays. The makers seem to be giving them away in the hopes of raping you later on when you buy those replacement ink cartridges.. I have 2 Canon injets and a Lexmark. I woudln't buy another Canon if they paid me to take it. The Lexmark has been trouble free for over a year (which is at least 3 times longer than either Canon lasted) and cost me $45 brand new.
0 Replies