farmerman

Mon 30 Apr, 2018 04:19 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
you're assuming that all mosquitoes in the US have the same genetic makeup.
where did I say this???

Code: [quote]If any mosquitoes in the US ever did acquire resistence[/quote], it would have occurred mainly on farms and other areas which were very heavily treated.
Ill yield to your superior knowledge, if you can just tell me how you arrived at this conclusion?? Mosquitoes dont bother with the view, they just need puddles of water in which to lay their eggs. The Tiger mosquito in the US
prefers laying its eggs in piles of old tires.

Quote:
If any mosquitoes in the US ever did acquire resistance
you doubt that they do?? evidence please, Ill clue you in to which gene and str you should seek your knowledge
gungasnake

Mon 30 Apr, 2018 05:13 pm
@farmerman,
I don't doubt that some of them do. But you're claiming that all of them have and you ignore the question of mosquitoes avoiding DDT even when not killed by it.
farmerman

Tue 1 May, 2018 05:04 am
@gungasnake,
obviously you didnt read or understand anything I posted about how theyve discovered that rates of resistance among different species of mosquitoes varies from E to W Africa.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 1 May, 2018 02:49 pm
You're also writing as if mosquitoes were the only thing in Pandora's box. DDT also killed lice, bedbugs, and pretty much all the creatures of Pandora's box and the only two things I've ever heard of not being killed by DDT are crazy ants and the West Texas scorpions so that there are lots of reasons for wanting ordinary people to be able to buy the stuff. The one case you've tried to make is the thing about mosquitoes developing resistance which may or may not be believable but absolutely doesn't cut it as a raional for a total ban.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 1 May, 2018 02:51 pm
I got the thing about African vs US mosquitoes but it still is far from clear to me that all US mosquitoes would be resistant.
farmerman

Wed 2 May, 2018 12:28 am
@gungasnake,
US had used DDT like artificial snow until the 1970's. The Dupont corp had a control on its mfr all over the place. (my company was contracted many times to use mining techniques to haul and destroy major dump of off spec DDT ( DDT is actually a mix of congeners and it had to have a guaranteed purity to be labeled as DDT) Kinda like concrete(cement rock) cant have more than 4% Magnesium in the limestone.

We still have huge soil contamination sites in Potato, tomato, and several other veggie crop areas, where Lead Arsenate was used in the past. WHEN DDT came on th market around the end of WWII, it was used like crazy until Carson's own research saw the death of bugs birds and earthworms,and then the immunity started showing up .

As far as mosquitoes, apparently the West African species have a slower breeding rate so they dont develop immunity AS FAST. In India and Greece and in the Levant, Aedes and Anapholes species developed immunity often in two years of growing seasons.

Im just giessing at that but theres a slew of species.
I also read that some of the West African species, even after holding off DDT for 20 yrs, are still moderately susceptible to control (only like 30% immunity)
farmerman

Wed 2 May, 2018 12:30 am
@farmerman,
It could also be that, when we dosed the swamps and bayous with DDT, we also used a "cocktail" of stuff like early pesticides like Dieldrin
0 Replies

gungasnake

Sun 6 May, 2018 07:05 pm
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message3826365/pg2#68796472
0 Replies

gungasnake

Thu 28 Jun, 2018 12:36 pm
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/36029239_1671064189659321_3190051658767794176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeHjc4uCLSwvloB-bPUKis1ndV10Ek7HtTlmFDcKqqiJeiybvJGIOnxq9XTz1jkZpOIxpUO66rKU5_FauclP6rg_0eAECdBMXv0T8z4UZ_9lsQ&oh=da5bcf8bdb3498c95bc55306e5004a54&oe=5BE8BC01

Harmless to humans.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 27 Sep, 2018 09:40 am
@rosborne979,
A quick update on progress with Gene Drives...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/09/controlling-mosquitos-with-a-gene-drive-that-makes-females-infertile
0 Replies

gungasnake

Sat 29 Sep, 2018 10:56 pm
One thing to keep in mind... The common mosquito is not the only creature of Pandora's box. DDT was effective against ALL of them. If memory serves, I believe that the only two of those creatures which DDT did not kill were crazy ants and the West Texas scorpion. Everything else it killed. They had malaria and polio all but wiped off the earth in 1957 and that was too good for them. They had bedbugs wiped out of the South 48 of the United States, and that was too good for them. They had typhus epidemics being stopped cold, and that was too good for them, and a host of others.

Granted using DDT as an area pesticide for crops may have been a bad idea, the idea of banning the stuff altogether was heinous and a crime against humanity. There have been upwards of 100 million human deaths from malaria since DDT was banned and many if not most of those have been in Africa where, by all accounts, mosquitoes do not become immune to DDT.

The drive to ban DDT was the work of Malthusians ideologues whose aim was and is to reduce the planets human population to medieval levels for the glory of Gaia.

Leadfoot

Mon 1 Oct, 2018 09:49 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
it was used like crazy until Carson's own research saw the death of bugs birds and earthworms,and then the immunity started showing up .

Carson's 'research' was crap. She kept the real reason for her rabid opposition a secret until the cancer she falsely blamed on DDT killed her.

By the banning of DDT we have sentenced millions in Africa to death. Last time I checked almost a million deaths a year are caused by malaria there. They didn’t ban it, we just bribe the governments. Use DDT and we cut off all aid. ******* evil. The situation would be even worse in India if they banned it, but they were smart enough to tell us to **** off and built their own production facilities.

Was it over used and improperly applied? Of course, but the decision to ban it was pure emotional bullshit inspired by a paranoid woman's irrational fears.
rosborne979

Mon 1 Oct, 2018 02:07 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
The drive to ban DDT was the work of Malthusians ideologues whose aim was and is to reduce the planets human population to medieval levels for the glory of Gaia.

Ahhhhh, now I understand your passion for DDT. It's all connected to your quest to save the world from the evil Malthusian Ideologues. I should have know.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 15 Oct, 2018 12:42 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Carson's 'research' was crap.
your vast xperience in organic chemistry not withstanding, where do you get your opinions? Im guessing its the same place gunga gets his.
For your information, hen Silent Spring was published , all the ag chemical manufacturers began the same BS about Carson's work. SO Pres Kennedy convened a blue ribbon panel nd theyrepresented a cross section of chem and health sciences . They concluded that Carsons work was spot on. Later expeience, as she predicted resulted in killing of many kinds of qilslife (It was really a broadspectrum killer)

The ag chemical boys were SORTA right in one small area. DDT, doesnt migrate too far in the environment but its breakdown products (like DDE and others , DO migrate until the final organochlorine half life products have Freundlich numbers pretty much like TCE and TCA).
All this while mosquitoes gradually become IMMUNE to the stuff.
Today Some DDT Is used along with multispectra killers to help with mosquitoes that havent already developed immunity)

The concepts pf chemical immunities wasnt well understood till the 1980's .
With CRSPR-cas9 Anapholes nd Aedes may be removed, but Im sure that viuses will transfer to other species by mechanisms weve already come to understand
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 15 Oct, 2018 01:54 pm
As a kid, I helped spray DDT about the house a few times. We stayed out of the clouds of spray and pointed it away from food. Fortunately, we didn't use it as much as others might.
http://smatterist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/DDT-Household-Products-from-the-1950s-0006.jpg
farmerman

Mon 15 Oct, 2018 03:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
or as often.
edgarblythe

Mon 15 Oct, 2018 04:08 pm
@farmerman,
It's obvious you ain't a Okie.
farmerman

Mon 15 Oct, 2018 04:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Remember, when DDT was banned for use in the US, so were about 10 other biocides used in agriculture. Other ntions did, or did NOT ban DDT and many of the African nations , still using DDT arent off any better than those using IPM (integrated pest management)
farmerman

Mon 15 Oct, 2018 04:23 pm
@farmerman,
and after banning, eagles, kestrels, peregrines and several buteo species began re-appearing. Several dozen pairs of eagles were brought down from pesticide free areas of the Allaskan sub Arctic.

In PA, there remained 2 pairs of eagles native to the state and 4 pairs were "hacked" after the DDT ban was in effect. It took several years but by 1982 eagle chicks began to be hatching from eggs that were less and less DDT burdened (Eagles are top predators so the fish they eat have had full body burdens of DDT an DDE and DDM) It took the fish species several generations to depurate their body burdens so thats why the turnaround wasnt immediate. NOW, 40 years later, we are fuckin crawling with eagles. Ive got em come in and catch rabbits in my fields from several perches in large pine trees and some dead elms that are on the edges of my fields. Its always a thrill to see them but nowadays, I dont even stop and watch, I just look over and comment how I wish my dad coulda seen this.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 15 Oct, 2018 04:52 pm
I can't add anything to the discussion, except to say I have read enough about this to know DDT should never regain its former status in the world.