I have a legal question ..

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:57 pm
I am hoping that someone on this forum is a lawyer, legal assistant, paralegal.. hell, I would almost take a janitor FOR a legal firms advice at this time. Laughing

This issue I have i will not make public so all information exchange will be through PM. I will not budge on that. Sorry..

Before you offer your time or advice, please understand 2 things.
I HAVE an operating lawyer on this case.
BECAUSE of that, anything that is shared with me on this site will NOT reach his desk unless it helps me form an answer to my problem.
I understand in many ways that free advice can lead to problems for the advisor. I respect the fact that what ever i recieve WILL BE free advice and not anything to be REPEATED.

What I need help on is mostly to -word my questions and situation- effectivly to my lawyer. He is out of town for the next month and I have run into some information about my case that I am not sure is necessary? Is relevant...??? Those sort of questions..

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,818 • Replies: 27
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 09:24 pm
just a little bump post..
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 09:29 pm
Maybe try pming joefromchicago. I'm pretty sure he's a lawyer. Also, debra_law.

Good luck with whatever your situation is. I hope it all works out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 07:08 am
Shewolf--

A2K doesn't offer legal advice.

I'm not sure, but since you have a lawyer, seeking advice from another lawyer--who may not be licensed to practice in your state--might well be counterproductive.

The A2K Lawyers are very pleasant people, but by PMing for private advice you are asking them to make you gifts of their time and expertise. This doesn't seem quite fair.

Good luck. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:21 am
Very true.
hmm.. maybe I shouldnt have worded my request as 'legal advice, ' because that isnt really what i need.
What I need to know is if the information I have is important enough to act on, turn into my lawyer, or if I am just chasing ghosts..
So to re-word my problem because I am definatly not asking for someones time or a -how to- tutorial..
What I want to know boils down to a question of wether or not I can do it on my own or should I hand this to my lawyer...
Does that make more sence?

( sounds like a cryptic message.. haha! )
But that is what it boils down to.
Im concerned mostly because the lawyer I have hired is WONDERFUL, but wonderfully expencive as well.
2 days worth of work .. .1,500 $. >sigh<
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:23 am
I dabbled in law back in '32. Perhaps I could offer some assistance.

I'll go get my briefcase.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:28 am
sorry gus, this isnt about prohibition.
Though my family sure did appreciate the barrels of booze you were selling from your basement!!!
Several generations benefited from that,
Most of us are still in rehab!!!!!
My mighty drunk thanks gus!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:33 am
<shuffling back to basement to place briefcase behind laundry sink>
0 Replies

duce

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:49 am
SheW:

Can whatever information you have come back to haunt YOU?

Lawyers do not like surprises. Don't let your attorney be blindsided, but attorney's are like any other professionals, Good Ones, Bad Ones, OK ones.

You do not say if This is a Criminal or Civil Matter. Research whatever statue is relevant to your case and look at similiar cases IN YOUR STATE.

Laws vary greatly from State to State and what is FAIR has NOTHING to do with what is legal.

The law is not about what you KNOW, its about what you can PROVE.

It's much like a Chess game.

Also It never hurts to know your JUDGE. (I don't mean personally). Look up his/her appeal record.
Conservative, Liberal.

Dress Nicely for all appearances. Juries like Blue.
Believe it or not, attorneys do this kind of research.
Do not use slang and Never give more information that necessary in a deposition or on the "Stand".

It gives the opposing side open doors. Yes or No is what they will try to confine you to.

However, you may give your attorney ALL details and let him sort out what is relavant.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:19 am
shewolfnm: I can't quite understand what you're asking here. If you have information that might affect your case, then you should communicate that information to your attorney. Your attorney will then be able to decide if the information is relevant.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:25 am
I think her main question is whether she can represent herself -- whether she really needs a (very expensive) lawyer.

I have to agree that the answer is likely to fall too close to legal advice to make anyone comfortable -- if they (a2k law types) say "sure, sounds iron-clad, go for it" and then you lose...? I think if you get any legal advice it's likely to be, pay your lawyer to do his/ her job. Period.

That said, sorry you're in a rough situation, and good luck!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:26 am
Fair enough. :-)
Good point.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:28 am
Im sorry for all the ' criptic' suggestions.
I just wont pose my question in the thread.
This effects my life and there are things I dont want public.
Not a court case or a criminal case at all
( thank goodness!! hehe ) Im a good girl . ;-)
0 Replies

duce

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:50 am
In most states there are some things you can do yourself without the aide of Attorneys.

CIVIL:
Example: Wills and Divorces, Contracts.

UnContested or Divorces in Absentia (Where you don't know where he/she is) can be done yourself.

Will kits are available in Office Max type stores, you just fill in the blanks...Although in many states you cannot "will" a minor Child, so if children are involved a Guardian Ad L. needs to be appointed and perhaps trust(s) set up.

Criminal:

Writs require a JD but the legwork can be done yourself.

You may effect your own deposition of Witnesses.
You may enter your own pleas or plea bargin agreements, but this is HIGHLY unadvisable without benefit of attorney. If you must do so SAY NOT GUILTY-regardless of circumstance. You can always plead guilty later, but it is MUCH harder to change your plea to innocent.

I have done my own divorce and Will and Incorporations, without incident--of course I'm not dead yet.

I do not have PM privileges yet, but have put in a ticket. If you are interested in any/all of the above and wish to publicly post it, advice.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:32 am
duce wrote:

I do not have PM privileges yet, but have put in a ticket. If you are interested in any/all of the above and wish to publicly post it, advice.

No.
But I am open to email exchanges.?
Your personal experience is intriguing to me to say the least and may prove to be helpful.
if you would be ok with Email,
just add my screen name to @ earthlink ( dot ) net.
I use the WORD dot instead of the dot so that spammers cant find my email address with a google search.. ;-)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:39 am
Remember, Duce can receive pms, just not respond. Heck, I sent her one a week ago, and at the rate she's going, should have the privilage around this time in 2007, at which time, I expect a reply.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:41 am
Laughing

I sent one, just didnt realize the ability to respond to them were still limited.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:08 pm
shewolf--

You said you had already talked to a lawyer about this problem.

Lawyers charge for office visits and lawyers charge for phone calls. You could probably save money by summarizing the situation in writing and mailing it to your lawyer for his learned consideration.

I agree with the A2K members who have urged you to let your lawyer decide what is important--but you're a literate woman. You don't have to give him all information face-to-face.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:13 pm
I never thought of that.
Wonderful point!!

I have come to the conclusion, that it is best for me to just sit down and shut up. For me to stop being so anxious and just let things ride out how they will .
My lawyer is capable, I am not, that is why he is a lawyer.

:-)

but that wont stop me from writting my concerns and emailing him. Very true.. they dont charge for that. ;-)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:48 pm
Um, bear in mind he might charge for reading that letter. I would endeavor to be concise. Very Happy
0 Replies