Greatest Athletes of All Time

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 03:23 pm
@McGentrix,
Orr created the offensive defenseman position, but he was so unique, few could follow in his wake, and especially not after Gretzky came on the scene and smashed goal scoring records.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 03:24 pm
@Real Music,
Tyson doesn't belong in the discussion

An athlete who falls to pieces after his first loss is certainly not the GOAT
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 03:34 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

I'd place the late Gordie Howe ahead of either Gretzky or Orr. Currently, we have Sidney Crosby of the Pens (Pittsburgh Penguins) doing his best to become another contender for all time greats on the ice.

Howe was a superb athlete who gets extra credit for his longevity, but what did he do on the ice that no one else had done before? He just did it much better in most ways.

Orr did it from behind the blue line and Gretzky, and players like Mike Bossey of the Islanders, ushered in an era of superb players who relied entirely on skill rather than brawn. Not everyone liked their arrival, but they (along with the Europeans) changed the sport.

I'm not going to comment on Crosby because you are obviously a fan of his.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 03:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Wikipedia

James Francis Thorpe (Sac and Fox (Sauk): Wa-Tho-Huk, translated as "Bright Path";[4] May 22 or 28,[2] 1887 – March 28, 1953)[5] was an American athlete and Olympic gold medalist. A member of the Sac and Fox Nation, Thorpe became the first Native American to win a gold medal for his home country. Considered one of the most versatile athletes of modern sports, he won Olympic gold medals in the 1912 pentathlon and decathlon, and played American football (collegiate and professional), professional baseball, and basketball. He lost his Olympic titles after it was found he had been paid for playing two seasons of semi-professional baseball before competing in the Olympics, thus violating the amateurism rules that were then in place. In 1983, 30 years after his death, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) restored his Olympic medals.

Excellent nomination. You beat me to it.

Arguably Thorpe had a much higher hill to climb than Ali.

While we are at it, let's mention Babe Didrikson Zaharias
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 04:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Babe Ruth, on the other hand single-handedly moved baseball from very small ball to love for the long ball and lot's of runs.

Although Babe Ruth was a great ball player -I would think he would be far from being the best athlete.
Someone does not have to change their sport to be the best athlete.

An athlete by definition is : a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

What you are describing to me sounds more like a superstar - those best in their sport rather than that most athletic. If you were to ask Babe Ruth to do a long distance run even in his best - I doubt he would be very successful.

The best athlete overall would have all these attributes.
McGentrix
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 04:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Phelps is certainly the GOAT for his sport. Sports are too specialized to have one individual be the GOAT athlete. May as well pick Jenner then if that is your goal.

It's not mine though, I believe that each sport has, and will be, dominated by an individual athlete at any time. Jordan was definitely the dominating player in the NBA during his prime years. Bird and Magic before him and Chamberlain before them etc...

Choosing someone is part of the fun and then arguing the merits of that person.
CowDoc

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 05:08 pm
@McGentrix,
Hard to argue with the choices here, but I must admit to being slightly surprised that there has been no mention of Edwin Moses. Four world records and 107 consecutive wins should, in my opinion, at least put him into the conversation.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 06:18 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:

That sums up the whole purpose of this thread. Very Happy
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 10:05 pm
Eddy Merckx, "The Cannibal." He won just about every bike race there was to win, and most of them he won multiple times. Nowadays, racers specialize between the single day "Classics" road races, like Paris Roubaix and Milan San Remo, or the grand national tours, e.g. Giro d'Italia and the Tour de France. Eddy was just as good in both.

https://image.ibb.co/cUaY3c/3fabe22ae446b0b47344fe89df84c007.jpg
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 11:59 pm
@Linkat,
Bruce Lee - Brutally Accurate

0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 04:17 am
I do note that there are many, many, many athletes from the USA mentioned here, but the athletes from other countries not so much (well, with the exception of Eddie Merckx and Bruce Lee). I'm not disputing that all of the athletes put forward are legends, but it would do disservice to many other athletes worldwide if they would not be named.

For me, a great athlete is someone who, despite humble beginnings and little funding, manages to achieve great heights. Another quality they should have is a strong drive to succeed, and the dedication to not quit, despite great setbacks.

With all that in mind, I would like to mention Ethiopian Abebe Bikila. He won the Olympic Marathon in Rome in 1960... barefoot. In 1964, he successfully defended that title in Tokyo, and broke his own world Record while doing so. He did this, besides having had an appendectomy less than 40 days prior(he had surgery on september 16th, and competed in the 1964 Olympian marathon on October 21th). He became the first athlete to ever defend their title on two successive Olympian events, or so I'm led to believe.

In 1969 he became paralyzed in the lower body after a car accident, and he could never walk again. But that didn't mean he quit being an athlete: in 1970, he competed in the Stokes Mandeville games in London in both archery and table tennis, while at the same time still undergoing medical treatment in England. in 1971, he even won a sleigh riding cross country tournament in Norway. He died in 1973 from a cerebral hemorrhage.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:01 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:

Which is what I've done.

Phelps and other current atheletes have tremendous advantages over their fellows from time's past: Advanced training methods, vastly improved physical therapy, nutrition, copious amounts of money dedicated to their athletisim, and even drugs.

The great, but obnoxious, Mark Spitz dominated his sport, but even at his prime he wouldn't stand a chance against Phelps. Would that be a fair test? In terms of the current state of the sport perhaps but not for all time.

There's not much to discuss if you are basing the title on records alone.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:09 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
Someone does not have to change their sport to be the best athlete.

In my opinion that is part of what they have to do, otherwise we are just measuring all around physical attributes in which case McG would be close to the mark with his throw-away suggestion of Bruce Jenner. (Actually Ashton Eaton, not Jenner, of the US currently holds the world's record in the event)

Ruth wasn't just a powerful fatman. He was a great pitcher when he joined the Red Sox and would have been one of the best in baseball if not for his prodigious swings. There are a lot of very strong men who can't consistently hit homeruns.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 09:13 pm
Barry Sanders
(Detroit Lions)
NFL Running Back

Barry Sanders may be the most elusive running back to ever play in the NFL.
He averaged over 1500 rushing yards per season throughout his entire 10 year career.
He also averaged 5 rushing yards per carry throughout his entire 10 year career.
Every time he touched the ball, everyone sat on the edge of their seats wondering if he was about to break a long run for a touchdown.
Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 09:23 pm
I don't believe that anyone has mentioned Roger Bannister. He was a medical student who trained as a middle distance runner in his spare time. In the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki, he came fourth in (I think) the 1500 meters, which is as close to a mile as makes no difference. In 1954, he became the first athlete to run a mile in under four minutes. He was still studying and working as a "junior doctor" at the time, making him a classic amateur athlete. Bannister became a neurologist and lecturer in medicine at Oxford University.
Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 09:49 am
@Real Music,
Agree on Sanders. Not just due to his athleticism but his singlemindedness when he retired from the sport “early, when the cheap-assed Lions wouldn’t pay him what he was worth.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 10:15 am
@Setanta,
Agree on Bannister due to his accomplishment of breaking the 4-minue-mile barrier which many medical experts thought and swore that doing so wasn’t humanly possible.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 03:21 pm
@Setanta,
BTW, speaking of another runner who deserves recognition is Jim Ryun for achieving as a high school athlete a run of 3:55. That record stood for about 36 yrs before being broken. His further accomplishments as a college runner and Olympian. He had set the WR for 880-yd distance and lowered the mile-record to 3:51.1 were noteworthy, also.

Independent of and incidental to all this he had a 10-year-run as US Rep for state of Kansas.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 03:32 pm
@Ragman,
Bob Beamon at the Mexico City Olympics made a superhuman Long Jump and set a world and Olympic record. It lasted for 29 years (pretty amazing) and is still the 2nd longest jump in history. It remains the Olympic record after 49 years
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 03:36 pm
@Ragman,
I ran track in HS and Ryun was one of my heroes. I saw him win the Wanamaker Mile (on the boards!) at the Mill Rose Games in NYC. I think it was 68 or 69

Always very disappointed that he didn't get an Olympic Gold.