LOOKING FOR ANSWERS

Naxey26

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 04:06 pm
Hello,
I was wondering which career would make you the most money. is it software engineering or is it information technology? Your answers would really be appriciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,356 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 05:44 pm
Information technology isn't a career, it's a general area, under which there are several careers, including software engineer, database analyst, database administrator, quality assurance analyst, voice recognition engineer, etc. etc. etc.

Go to www.salary.com and take a look. Salaries depend upon where you ply your trade and how many other people are plying there, among many other factors.
0 Replies

Naxey26

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:01 pm
Thank you so much for telling me Very Happy
0 Replies

LongBeach90803

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 06:10 pm
I've been a database analyst and software engineer for more than 20 years. (I wear several hats!) Money's good, but don't ever choose a career with money as your first consideration. Otherwise you might as well become a divorce lawyer in Beverly Hills and hate your job. They make $450/hour! (Personal friend)

Think about: what you like to do, how well you relate to people, what you want to be doing 5+ years down the road, do you really eat, sleep, and breath computers, do you like to create your own schedule, etc.

A good book on this topic is What Color is Your Parachute.

If your in college, get a part-time job in a field you think you'll like and try it out.
0 Replies

dadrcrpntr

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 02:54 pm
Im looking too, I need to know best careers in demand as far as a freelance work on my computer. Im taking a course in business, but seems reletively dry, and if Im going to invest any time or money in getting a degree, it might as well be something I would get a more direct benefit from!

By the way, Im semi-retired, 51, and a surviving the big "C". The cure is worse than the disease, because I'll need the partner with one of the utility rooms in our house(bathroom) for a long time. So freelance work on my Internet connection seems to be the best way to get back to work.

I dont need a job to create an impressive bank statement but I would like to be in demand(job security). Can you tell me from your experience, if you are aware of fields that commonly use freelance work.
0 Replies